4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

thnking of switching to sniper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Default thnking of switching to sniper.

Ive been looking at the sniper tuning software recently. I was wondering if it was worth it to sell my sctxcal3 and get te sniper tuning software? what are the advantages/disadvantages?
thanks,
Greg
Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Sniper what is the real question? Like Special forces or Commando?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I have the Sniper as well. It's my first tuning software period so I don't have any previous experiences to compare it with. It seems really handy, I jsut don't have the knowledge to really do enough with it just yet. That and my car is in storage till about April or May when all the snow is gone! Cliffy is pretty experienced with it and I think Hoss is as well...Maybe they have some insight for you!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I too have Sniper SF. I love it, but I have nothing else to compare it to. I plan on upgrading to Commando and buying a little netbook to run the program, that way I can take it to the track with me and do tunes on the fly, just to try different things out. You do have to know what you are doing since you can easily go too much on way and really mess your car up, but I would def recommend it. Def talk to cliffyk, he is big on it, I believe he is even a mod over on their forums if I am not mistaken.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

In the interest of full-disclosure I must state that I am a moderator of the Delta Force forum, and have worked closely with DF in developing and testing their products. I am however not on their payroll, not have I ever been. This had been discussed, however I suffered what has been described as a "mini" stroke several weeks ago and have had to curtail my involvement to great extent.

This getting old crap can at times suck...

-----------------------------------------------

Some housekeeping first--Sniper Tuning. Inc. is since early this year Delta Forces Tuning, Inc. They have three tuning products of interest to Mustang owners, with two--Special Forces and Commando--being of most interest for individual owners.

The third product, Delta Force, is identical to Commando however it is a professional tuner's version that comes with access to all templates for all supported vehicles.

Special Forces can best be thought of as a more versatile version of the various handheld tuners that are out there. It uses an interface box (the same as used by Commando) to connect the car's OBD2 port, download the stock tune, and upload custom tunes. The interface can hold 6 tunes. one of which is always the last downloaded OEM tune.

It is not necessary to have the interface and PC connected to download/upload tunes¹. Once you have downloaded the OEM tune and created your custom tunes you may load up to 5 tunes into the interface and load which ever of them you wish with no PC connection--the PC is used only the create and edit tunes--this is also true of Commando.

SF has out-of-the-box support for two vehicles at a time, with no limits as to the number of times you can switch (most handhelds only support one vehicle at a time, will only let you switch vehicles a limited number of times). By purchasing additional "bullets" you can tune additional vehicles--this is also true of Commando, except that Commando is delivered with single vehicle support.

Special Forces is quite capable for n/a and kit-type f/i setups, it uses a "question-and-answer" sort of user interface, here are some samples of the SF screens:

Where SF breaks down is when you have a highly customised engine set-up, typically forced induction built-up from individually selected components. This said however SF is much more competent at dealing with more complex configurations than any handheld.

Commando is a low-level tuning system offering full access to the PCMs scalar values, tables, and defined functions. If it's in there you can change it.

As a simple example, here's a screenshot of the injector slope setup in Commando:

In the right column are settings I run for the stock 21 lb/h (pink) injectors in my '03 GT, the left column shows the settings I would first use for 24 lb/h injectors.

----------------------------------------------
¹ - The Recon data logging application included with Special Forces and Commando does require that the car and PC be connected via the interface. Recon supports the new-edge EEC-V ("eek-5") PCM, but not the newer '05+ Spanish Oak systems.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

That sucks Cliffy!!! Glad youre still here!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Ill keep my post short as Cliff pretty much covered it..

Iv had Diablo, Superchips and Special Forces and now Commando. The Delta Force Tuning products flat out kick the crap out of anything out there. If I had a very high HP car(like 600+ hp) I would use SCT and let a pro do it. BUT, for anything less I feel 110% confident that the software is capable of handling most anything you throw at it.

There is no tuner out there that lets you do what the special forces package allows you to do in the hand-help price market.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

okay thanks guys! Especially cliffy that helped a lot. So now the question is which one would be the best to go with? commando/delta? what do you guys recommend for me?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 98redstang
okay thanks guys! Especially cliffy that helped a lot. So now the question is which one would be the best to go with? commando/delta? what do you guys recommend for me?
Commando. From your list of mods and interest in tuning I suspect you would outgrow Special Forces quickly. This is not to detract from what Special Forces can do, however if you are a bona fide "get down into things" sort of person Commando is the way to go--I started out with SF and upgraded to Commando within 6 months.

Also, the Commando package includes SF which allows you to knock out tunes with SF, then tweak and fine tune them with Commando, and have a good learning experience in the process.

As a complement to Commando I also recommend Greg Banish's book Engine Management/Advanced Tuning. This book will get you up to speed (no pun intended) with tuning modern EFI engines faster than any other I've seen.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 PM
vanbibber
1st Gear Member

Whats a good dealer to pick up a DF/commander?

Quick Reply: thnking of switching to sniper.