4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

confused about exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 AM
jerryk123

Default confused about exhaust ??

I have 01 cobra covert with factory exhaust. I hear so much about headers, catback, o/r x-pipe. just confuses me. To me and my frinds the sound is great, can hear it throttling a couple streets away. Budget wise what is the best way to start an exhaust. If I just add on a o/r x-pipe. will that let the air flow more freely and at same time give it a little more roar or do I go a different way. Thanks, Jerry
Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

never underestimate how a catback will change the sound of your car.

Save for some sick exhaust haha.

You could get a O/R H or X for your cobra and call it a day. (cheap and will add more sound for sure)
Old 12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I would add a catback first. You will gain some power and also will sound better than stock. Go with Bassani, Borla, Magnaflow, or Steeda. I went with the Steeda Catback and it sound almost like stock but a little louder and throatier. Whatever you do, do not put flowmaster on a 4v, they sound like crap + every other mustang has them lol.

Also I would go with a new catback and not just buying mufflers because the stock piping on the stock catback has a lot of dents and dimples in it.

Not my car but this is a cobra with a "steeda catback + o/r x pipe" Sounds just like mine but mine is a little louder because I have longtubes also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_VhlhW31g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zU6RvvrZrI

Last edited by Mustang3GT07; 12-28-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you got the budget for it, get an o/r h or x and catback of your choice (check youtube for sound clips, as sound will be the only major difference between any of them) and do it all at once. You'll get a slight gain in power and a renewed driving experience. If budget doesn't allow for both at the same time, I'd do the catback first just for the improvement in sound.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I guess my answer would be how long do you think you are gonna be budget minded?

You can pick up an off-road mid-pipe for cheap and then just saw off the stock mufflers and weld on straight pipes for the time being.

Or you can just buy a catback and be done with it for a while until you have enough for a midpipe. Usually people go this route...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

This is my FAVORITE cobra exhaust!! It sounds SICK! It's an 01 Cobra just like yours. Borla Catback (stinger) and a Magnaflow catted x pipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIUoiXJunwc
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
If you got the budget for it, get an o/r h or x and catback of your choice (check youtube for sound clips, as sound will be the only major difference between any of them) and do it all at once. You'll get a slight gain in power and a renewed driving experience. If budget doesn't allow for both at the same time, I'd do the catback first just for the improvement in sound.

well you will be able to find a O/R midpipe cheaper than a catback from any big name brand place ( Magnaflow, Bassani etc) and im not totally sure how manu cats an 01 cobra has, but going catless and stock mufflers will give you a improvement in sound if thats all you want for now until you can afford a catback.

but my take on bassani or magnaflow etc midpipes are somewhat a waste other than for the stainless steel aspect. i just got a UPR catless X off their website(not stainless) for my 04 GT and have not put it on in terms of fitment issues.

generally the bigger the name the bigger the price, but you get stainless and prob a perfect fit. a lesser midpipe may or may not have stainless and MAY have to finagle the pipe to fit perfect, but may also fit perfect(the quality control on fitment may be a little more relaxed than a big name one). but its the name of the game. in the end, a mandrel bent pipe is a manrel bent pipe no matter whos name is on it. depends on what you want. JMO
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I would just go with a catback for now. If you go with a midpipe and than later on down the road want lt headers your gonna end up buying another midpipe. So if it was me just find a nice sounding catback. And if im not mistaken a lot of sites have lt header and midpipe combo packages that you might wanna look into depending on your budget.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Considering all the possibilities, and what you've said, i would just start with a cat back personally.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

My Cobra has an O/R H pipe, and some kind of Flowmasters muffler on them. I'm not a fan of Flowmasters personally, but they do sound awesome on the Cobra with that set up. Only problem is, they're loud, very loud, some times it's almost annoying how loud they can be, but it does get peoples attention. If I get extra money (that means money not going into the 95 or my future house), then I'll swap out the mufflers to Borla or Magnaflow, but I have to say, whatever type of Flows is on my Cobra sure sounds pretty good, very throaty with that good old American muscle kind of tone in them.

Quick Reply: confused about exhaust ??