4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Torque wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Derf00
Click style is best and it's also better to have two tq wrenches with one from 0-100 or 150 ft/lbs 3/8" drive and one from 0-250 1/2" drive. The lower range will give you greater accuracy on the low end. The higher one should be used to cover what the smaller one doesn't.

I would think the LCD will wear out over time or give false reading unless you calibrate it every year. While the Snap-on has a "lifetime" warranty I'm sure the calibration is not part of that.
+ 1000 if you plan on building a motor... buy two and buy snap on clickers.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by lilcrate
How do you know?
Torqued my Welds
Old 01-01-2010, 05:43 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

actually craftsman doesn't have a life time warranty on the torque wrenches... its only a one year warranty i believe and you will get hosed if you think craftsman will replace your torque wrench.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
actually craftsman doesn't have a life time warranty on the torque wrenches... its only a one year warranty i believe and you will get hosed if you think craftsman will replace your torque wrench.
I just looked on their website and it says its guaranteed forever here take a look:
Go under specifcations and its says the warranty info and it says guaranteed forever for this one. It might be different for the more expensive ones though...

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...=torque+wrench
Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I hit up sears on black friday and got a craftsman 20 ftlb - 150 ftlbs clicking and ratcheting for under 50 bucks on sale. Just used it on my cam install and worked great. I work on f-16's in the air force and we use both craftsman and snapon.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
I just looked on their website and it says its guaranteed forever here take a look:
Go under specifcations and its says the warranty info and it says guaranteed forever for this one. It might be different for the more expensive ones though...

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...=torque+wrench
hmm well this is straight from their website, its from the Canada site, but i know its the same in the US, just cant find it...

"Craftsman Tools not covered by the lifetime warranty include: Micro-adjustable torque wrench calibration, Hand tools cutting edges, Portable electric tools, Bench and Stationary tools, Battery operated tools, Precision measuring tools."

http://www.sears.ca/content/resource...bout-craftsman
Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

and i only bring this up because I had an older style "click" wrench and the spring inside had rusted and basically wouldnt hold any tension, and they would not recalibrate it because of this, and they would not replace any parts for free on it because it does not have a warranty for that, and they classified it under the precision measuring tool. and actually i dont believe they even sell like a "rebuild" kit, i think i asked if i could even jsut get it sent in to be re done...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

never buy a beam type...always get ones that click
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
and i only bring this up because I had an older style "click" wrench and the spring inside had rusted and basically wouldnt hold any tension, and they would not recalibrate it because of this, and they would not replace any parts for free on it because it does not have a warranty for that, and they classified it under the precision measuring tool. and actually i dont believe they even sell like a "rebuild" kit, i think i asked if i could even jsut get it sent in to be re done...
oh okay. Yeah i wasnt arguing with ya haha. I was just curious cause i thought it was all there stuff. Well now i know for future reference.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
oh okay. Yeah i wasnt arguing with ya haha. I was just curious cause i thought it was all there stuff. Well now i know for future reference.
ha yea no biggie. its just weird that they advertise it as all their stuff as lifetime warranty! but not everything is, just gotta read the fine print on some stuff i spose

but back to the thread... dont get the beam type unless its in inch pounds and you are planning on doing a rear end. other than that get the click type, or ive used the electronic ones before and they work alright, you can "recalibrate" them with a press of a button...

Quick Reply: Torque wrenches