4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tons of questions! (2001 GT 5sd.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Default Tons of questions! (2001 GT 5sd.)

1. Ok, just bought a 2001 gt 5sd convertible. Black, nice leather, car looks pretty good came with sub-frame connectors, and magnaflow catback, short throw shifter. 67k miles. I paid $7500, good enough deal? Also as soon as I got it I put a ford racing 70mm tb/plenum combo on it. cobra black housing headlights, and grille delete! o/r H-pipe to come!

2. Car came with a (cai) She said the previous owner put it on. It looks like it has the stock elbow going to the tb but at the end he has a curved pipe going to the fender with a k&n cone. Will this pick up any HP? I have read that using the stock pipe with cai can rob HP...

3. I didn't notice it when I was test driving the car. It was built in Aug 2001 so I guess it should have the new tranny, The car seems to shift into gears well sometimes I can feel a little roughness going into 2nd but I hear a whine from the tranny, not so much noticed while it isn't it gear, but if I get into higher rpm's (3k) it starts whining fairly loud. I understand the aftermarket shifter eliminate the gasket between the shifter and the tranny so you will hear more noise but is this something big to worry about?

4. It has stock gear (or so I was told, hits 2k rpms @ 65mph in 5th gear) I drove 100 miles mostly highway and it got 15mpg! but it's like -9 degrees here so I let it idle warming up for like 50 minutes within those 3 days. I did an oil change, clean filter, put new copper autolites in it gapped .050. Does the idle kill the mpg or is something up you thin?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

1. Awsome deal congratulations!
2. The stock air intake is just fine the stock paper filter is the main thing that robs horsepower. Just make sure you cut out the "Air Silencer" and that puppy should be getting plenty of are through that 70mm TB.
3. Sounds like you may be low on tranny fluid, my car made the same sound and I did a flush with Royal Purple Fully Synthetic fluid and the sound went right away, Also after market gear sets (3.73, 4.10) can make the drive train have a faint whine.
4. Changing plugs is a good way to slightly up your MPG. I would recommend changing out the Fuel Filter, Running some lucas fuel injector cleaner and getting a good tune. Theres not alot you can do after that to save on gas except not wromp on the throttle at every red light haha
Hope this helped a little man enjoy the new GT!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Where at in Nebraska are you?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic_Stang
1. Awsome deal congratulations!
2. The stock air intake is just fine the stock paper filter is the main thing that robs horsepower. Just make sure you cut out the "Air Silencer" and that puppy should be getting plenty of are through that 70mm TB.
3. Sounds like you may be low on tranny fluid, my car made the same sound and I did a flush with Royal Purple Fully Synthetic fluid and the sound went right away, Also after market gear sets (3.73, 4.10) can make the drive train have a faint whine.
4. Changing plugs is a good way to slightly up your MPG. I would recommend changing out the Fuel Filter, Running some lucas fuel injector cleaner and getting a good tune. Theres not alot you can do after that to save on gas except not wromp on the throttle at every red light haha
Hope this helped a little man enjoy the new GT!
Pretty much said it all!... but good buy
Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Letting the car idle until it warms up is hurting your mpg bad. It will warm up faster if you drive it.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

I live in lincoln NE. Where is the air silencer located? Also, I brought it into jiffy lube to have them change the fluid out and after they do it the guy says "Ok, if you have any problems just bring it back" Since then I swear it got louder, when the weather is better I'm bringing it in. I'm starting to think they didn't fill it all the way.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Check the door tag to find out if you have a t-45 or a 3650. That late I would be almost positve you have a 3650. Should be a k or a 6 in there and to be honest I would have to look at mine to remember what the t45 was. My car is odd because it has a romeo motor with the later water pump pulley and a t-45 heh. Damn 01's Also pretty sure plug gap should be 54 not 50 if I recall. And the cold will effect mileage alot .
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

let it warm for about 5-10 minutes if that
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Hey, you're from lincoln... do you know of a good place to get a midpipe installed locally? I plan on buying one dirt cheap with some mil eliminators on craigslist. I don't have an impact or the room to do it myself.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

congrats on the purchase! u will find there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. i hope to learn enough to be one of them soon!! haha.

Quick Reply: Tons of questions! (2001 GT 5sd.)