4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Plans for my 96 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Default Plans for my 96 GT

Right now my Mustang is pretty much bone stock. As of right now, I'm planning on putting 3.73s in the rear end, a new intake, longtube headers, a shorty OR H pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder series on. Also planning on a PI swap. Any suggestions on anything else?

I'll probably get some crap for this, but I was thinking about a nitrous kit as well, just for some cheap horsepower. Don't quite have enough money to spend on any sort of forced induction.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJB540
Right now my Mustang is pretty much bone stock. As of right now, I'm planning on putting 3.73s in the rear end, a new intake, longtube headers, a shorty OR H pipe, and Flowmaster American Thunder series on. Also planning on a PI swap. Any suggestions on anything else?

I'll probably get some crap for this, but I was thinking about a nitrous kit as well, just for some cheap horsepower. Don't quite have enough money to spend on any sort of forced induction.
I wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake since they really don't do jack squat. I would spend the money toward cams before I would go with the intake. Don't know why you think you would take crap for nitrous, lots of people run it on the mustangs, it's a great way to get power.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I think a PI swap, gears, full exhaust, and a nitrous kit is an awesome idea. I've been running nitrous for a while now, and haven't had a single issue.

Go with a 100 shot, and you'll be stomping most blown stangs.

Last edited by mrtstang; 01-05-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Pretty much you want my sig haha thats pretty much my exact same setup but with cams instead of nos. Im not a big fan of nos. Im not saying theres anything wrong with getting it its just not my thing. And as for your gears ill be the first to say go with 4.10's! After all this though your gonna wanna start looking into suspension and better tires or your gonna be spinning like crazy.

Last edited by 98redstang; 01-05-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
I wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake since they really don't do jack squat. I would spend the money toward cams before I would go with the intake. Don't know why you think you would take crap for nitrous, lots of people run it on the mustangs, it's a great way to get power.
A lot of people I talk to associate nitrous with The Fast & Furious. It's kind of hilarious to try to explain to them. Anyway, totally sounds like a plan. Probably put a lot of my tax return towards that. The body of the car isn't in the best shape, so I was thinking about putting some sort of kit on it. I'm not a huge fan of the stock look, so I was thinking either a Cobra kit or a Saleen kit. Any opinions on those?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJB540
A lot of people I talk to associate nitrous with The Fast & Furious. It's kind of hilarious to try to explain to them. Anyway, totally sounds like a plan. Probably put a lot of my tax return towards that. The body of the car isn't in the best shape, so I was thinking about putting some sort of kit on it. I'm not a huge fan of the stock look, so I was thinking either a Cobra kit or a Saleen kit. Any opinions on those?
Lol, yeah, I personally think of bad acting and fart can mufflers when I think of the Fast and the Furious, but that is me.

I am not a big fan of kits, and especially not the Saleen kit. The cobra in those years really only had the round fog lamps up front. Style is your own personal thing. I have a GTS, which runs without a wing on the back, then I put in bumper inserts and rocker stripes on it. I love it, some people like it and some hate it. Check this out and see if you like it at all.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

PI swap, 373 or 410 gears, a off road pipe, straight through mufflers, a good air filter (k&n or something), and nitrous would be great!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

do 4.10's instead of 3.73's with the spray on stock shortblock. Thats my only thing on your list. Plus you'll like them a lot more before your PI upgrade.

Saleen kit doesnt look that great on your year car. Go with the cobra body kit...which is really just the front bumper and hood. So i'd say cobra bumper and 2000 cobra r hood(for a 1996 car mind you). What color is your car???
Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
do 4.10's instead of 3.73's with the spray on stock shortblock. Thats my only thing on your list. Plus you'll like them a lot more before your PI upgrade.

Saleen kit doesnt look that great on your year car. Go with the cobra body kit...which is really just the front bumper and hood. So i'd say cobra bumper and 2000 cobra r hood(for a 1996 car mind you). What color is your car???
I bought the car with the Cervini Stalker kit on it, so it has the Stalker hood. It's Redfire Red right now, I'm debating on whether I want to change it or not.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Your color is called Laser Red from the factory. And yea, i'd take off the stalker kit. I always remember someone's sig where they quoted another member on here saying something along the lines of "I would never own a stalker body kit. Its like running around with pedophile on my bumper" or something like that. lol But i'd put it all back to stock with a cobra body kit with stock rear bumper with the bottom part of the bumper painted flat black. The hood might look decent with it too. But get rid of the stalker kit.

Quick Reply: Plans for my 96 GT