4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

78mm throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by rastarocket
marvelous! thats what i was looking for, so with that being said, i think ill just go with the 78mm tb if it wont hurt it, save some dough, and also i have the option of going the F/I route! thanks alot for that explanation. and also those stripes on your stang look SO BAD ***, where did you find those!? i would love set for mine.
I thought I had been clear, it will hurt performance just not to any significant extent. Also when running f/i the TB size is of less importance because the entire nature of the intake airflow is so radically changed.

The stripes came from a local vinyl sign shop, just scraps the fellow gave me. I cut into 2" strips and applied them with soapy water and a squeegee like any decal/stripe/window tint...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

Default ahh ok

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I thought I had been clear, it will hurt performance just not to any significant extent. Also when running f/i the TB size is of less importance because the entire nature of the intake airflow is so radically changed.

The stripes came from a local vinyl sign shop, just scraps the fellow gave me. I cut into 2" strips and applied them with soapy water and a squeegee like any decal/stripe/window tint...
im sorry, i had my head up my butt.. its crystal clear now. i think ill just pony up the extra dough and go withthe 70mm tb and plenum. thanks for the help
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You can get a Pro Products/Trick Flow (they are the same) TB and plenum for $220 or so if you shop around--that's what I am running:

If you do decide to go f/i down the road you can probably get $125 for them used--or just get a 75 mm TB and keep the plenum, and sell the 70 mm TB for $75. Most people don't know the plenum is the weak link, so they will pay more for the TB alone than for the plenum--make used plenums a real good deal...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Amuso
1st Gear Member

FWIW, my 2¢ worth...

78mm is too big for any non-intake/cam/heads n/a engine--you will lost charge velocity at WOT up to 5k rpm or so and that will cost you power.

The OEM 65mm was chosen to maintain charge velocity to boost efficiency (think fuel economy) however it is a bit too small for 5k+ rpm. A 70 is 20% higher capacity then the OEM unit and is all that's needed to get things flowing strongly up to red line, without hurting anything.

A 75mm TB is 40% larger than stock, the 78 is 50% larger--great for n/a but less than optimal for a bolt-on n/a engine...

Sorry about this being completely off topic, but I just wanted to tell you that I love your steering wheel :P
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
rastarocket
1st Gear Member

You can get a Pro Products/Trick Flow (they are the same) TB and plenum for $220 or so if you shop around--that's what I am running:

If you do decide to go f/i down the road you can probably get $125 for them used--or just get a 75 mm TB and keep the plenum, and sell the 70 mm TB for $75. Most people don't know the plenum is the weak link, so they will pay more for the TB alone than for the plenum--make used plenums a real good deal...
oh okk yeah its funny you say that, becasue last night i just found some of their products and it made my eyebrow raise up. i think whats what im gonna go with, the trick flow 70mm tb and plenum combo from American Muscle. good price and its got good reviews, except everyone says that the throttle cable didnt fit, and they had to drill it out i bit. no big deal i say. and as far as what your saying about the TB and plenum, do you mean that the plenum is the same for the 75mm combo deal as the 70mm combo? so when i / if i do go FI i just need a tb cuz the plenum is the same? if so it seems like a no brainer to go with the 70mm for now.