4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Nitrous, supercharger, or turbo(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Superchargers suck... Twin Turbo is the only way to go. Hake sure the kit starts out at $6k otherwise it's going to be crap. That'll get you to 400hp.

http://www.peregrinesupercars.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm
Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Here's my basic run down of the options. Nitrous is a cheap option compared to the other two, but it's not technically legal on the street if you're the type to care. It's not always there, and you need to refill the bottle from time to time. If you're going to do options like the tubular K member that comes with a hellion kit, than turbos and blowers are getting pretty close in price. Everyone is going to hear the blower under the hood, which is awesome. You may have to worry about belt slip a bit when you get to higher boost which is going to drop the boost a bit, but it can be corrected fairly easily. A turbo is definitely a sleeper thing to me. No one is going to know it's there until it spools up. Generally they make more power per boost than a blower, and a ton of torque. On the down side, if you have a wastegate stick open, you're blowing an engine. They are also much harder to tune, and if I was doing a Hellion kit, I'd spend the money to convert it to a blow thru. Between a single and twin setup, I don't think a twin is necessary to spend the money on for a street car. You can make plenty of power with a single. Also, the mounting location of most twin kits (low) is known to lead to oil return problems and blowing turbos. Hellion has a scavenge system with their kit, but my tuner isn't convinced that is going to help the problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

$1000+bottle fillups should be included. And just so you all know(since you probably arent filling your bottles up in the dead of winter), nitrous went up 35% in price from last year. Just forewarning you. Turbo would be the best. Just saying. The hellion single turbo kit would be your best bet id say. They include EVERYTHING you need to get on the road with 400rwhp. It may be $6k but it will give you full front suspension with coilovers, all the fuel system upgrades you would need for the power the stock block can handle, and more power per pound of boost than any other poweradder. Nothing better in my opinion. Plus, as 99blackponyGT stated in another thread...hellion makes their kits with titanium harry potter alloy, so its magical
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Superchargers suck... Twin Turbo is the only way to go. Hake sure the kit starts out at $6k otherwise it's going to be crap. That'll get you to 400hp.

http://www.peregrinesupercars.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm
For instance, from people I've talked to this kit has been known for having oil return problems.

edit: Also turbos can cause valve float, I've heard at as low as 8 lbs. It may not be completely necessary, but if I were going to go turbo I would think about getting a better set of valvesprings for the job.

Last edited by ddmsgtr1; 01-13-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Wastegate sticking open is like running a cutout that wont allow all the exhaust gases to make it to the turbo to spool it. So you wont be able to spool the turbo and therefore would be running extremely rich. It sticking closed means that the wastegate wont open to vent the exhaust gases to allow the correct boost to be maintained and then you would blow your motor from overboost/lean conditions. So if it sticks closed, it will blow the motor...not open. At least thats my understanding of wastegates.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm thinking some of these people might be referring to brand new nitrous kits with all the accessories. That could easily run a grand.
I got mine brand new for 400 with all the needs. More like all the wants of the kit not need. People like to confuse the 2. My 2 cents..
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
For instance, from people I've talked to this kit has been known for having oil return problems.

edit: Also turbos can cause valve float, I've heard at as low as 8 lbs. It may not be completely necessary, but if I were going to go turbo I would think about getting a better set of valvesprings for the job.
Not familiar with Sarcasm huh.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Eh, just not that sharp so early in the morning lol. And BTW, yes teej, you're right, my bad. If it sticks closed you're in trouble.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So your edit to your post makes my post under yours completely irrelevent lol thanks ddmsgtr1....
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm thinking some of these people might be referring to brand new nitrous kits with all the accessories. That could easily run a grand.
haha no im reffering to the not so well known brands that you get the whole kit new for like $350

Quick Reply: Nitrous, supercharger, or turbo(s)?