4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Outrun...badly... by a neon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Slapnuts1975

Default Outrun...badly... by a neon

OK, new to the modular mustang scene. Had many 5.0's in the 90's, and haven't had a stang in a decade. Traded into a clean 99 GT has a tremec tko tranny, exhaust and headers, but not a damn thing under the hood, not even a cold air intake. Ive had the car for about a week when a little srt4 neon jumps on me. Its dirty, figured that dirty he wouldn't be anything but stock......Yah right. Little thing sucked the black paint off my poor pony. After pulling over and talking to the guy, nice kid, pulling about 550 hp. Geeeeeez.

So I know that on my budget I can forget getting near the hp per pound this guy has, but I need some info on this motor. Looking at Cams, Intake, massair meter, throttle body yada yada. Anyone with a nice list of go fsat goodies that go great with this setup? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome to MF! I've been on a budget since day 1 lol. With that said i've found gears and 100 shot of nitrous to be a hell of a bang for the buck. Exhaust and a tune are also good. I'll be doing cams soon too.

How much money are you looking at spending?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Slapnuts1975

Probably a few grand over the next few months. I think its got a lower gear, gonna pull the plate and check the gears to see what she has.

Anyone chime in, what was the equation for the ring and pinion, was it divide the ring by the pinion to get the ratio?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Usually those stupid neon guys have some invested in the car. Whenever a skittle or an sti tries to race from a light, I just do a massive burnout so I look way cooler than I would after I lost to them
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

If the punkin looks unmolested, assume it's stock and look up the specs.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Time for a supercharger. Not saying you would take him but you need one these days. I can't wait till I get mine.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Slapnuts1975

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
Usually those stupid neon guys have some invested in the car. Whenever a skittle or an sti tries to race from a light, I just do a massive burnout so I look way cooler than I would after I lost to them
Damn, I should have thought of that. LOL. Pumpkins been into a few times by the looks of it, gonna tear into it in the morning.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Welcome to the modular mustang world. Before you tear into the rear, just mark the tire and the driveshaft at the 6 oclock position and then turn the driveshaft and see how many times the wheel spins. That will give you a round about of what gears you have without going into the diff. Some things to look into are nitrous and cams, supercharger, single turbo, built n/a motor. Best idea for you if youre willing to spend a couple grand is a single turbo kit from hellion. Its about $6k, which might sound a bit much but it comes with complete front suspension, full fuel upgrades needed for a stock block, and can make over 400rwhp with less than 8lbs boost. Kenne bell supercharger would also be a good idea too for around the same money cus you might be able to get out ahead of him before his probably HUGE turbo spools and keep there for the remainder of the race. Same principle with the cams and spray, but you wont have the top end you would with the blower or the turbo. But those would be some setups that you might wanna look into. You can do a centri blower for cheap with the piece together kit for like $2k also, but im not a fan of the centri blowers. But thats just me. Good luck with whatever you choose, and again welcome to the 4.6L section.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
NuclearMuscle523

Hellion = the reason I contemplated swapping to 4.6
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Welcome... and yea, those lil things can sure fly

Quick Reply: Outrun...badly... by a neon