4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got caught with no cats..... :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM
cutthroat_army

the cop told me to pop the hood and i did. ive already had enough run ins with the cops, im trying to tone it down. towing was 60 bucks not bad. Ive heard that not having cats is a felony and could land you in jail, and a few thousand in fines.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JC316
Wow, he was a major dick. No one cares where I live, just so long as it passed emissions, it's cool. How the hell did he ever see under there? I can just barely see mine and most of the hangers are broken. I would wish him luck on my mom's IROC-Z, sucker is so low that I have to run it up on 4x4's just to get a jack under it, no way can you see the exhaust pipe.
Who was the major dick? The cop? Grow up. If some punk kid is going to be dumb enough to be a smart *** to a cop they deserve what they get. Cop told him to simply knock it off, OP thought he'd be smart and mouth off instead of just "ok". So the cop even gave him a second chance by asking where the cats were. Op could've simply said I am running an off-road H pipe. Cop most likely would've given him a warning and said to get the put back on and have it signed off on by a state trooper office.

Instead the OP decides to be smart again and "oh they're about 25 minutes away at my friends house". And for the record popping the hood was not a yes or no thing. Because the cop had reasonable suspiscion that the exhaust had been tampered with, if he had said no, the cop could've had it towed to a shop to have it checked out.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by cutthroat_army
the cop told me to pop the hood and i did. ive already had enough run ins with the cops, im trying to tone it down. towing was 60 bucks not bad. Ive heard that not having cats is a felony and could land you in jail, and a few thousand in fines.
It's hard not be a smart **** with the cops sometimes. At least it didn't cost too much.

I've never heard of an individual going to jail for messing with cats. Only if you're shop.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Who was the major dick? The cop? Grow up. If some punk kid is going to be dumb enough to be a smart *** to a cop they deserve what they get. Cop told him to simply knock it off, OP thought he'd be smart and mouth off instead of just "ok". So the cop even gave him a second chance by asking where the cats were. Op could've simply said I am running an off-road H pipe. Cop most likely would've given him a warning and said to get the put back on and have it signed off on by a state trooper office.

Instead the OP decides to be smart again and "oh they're about 25 minutes away at my friends house". And for the record popping the hood was not a yes or no thing. Because the cop had reasonable suspiscion that the exhaust had been tampered with, if he had said no, the cop could've had it towed to a shop to have it checked out.
+1 I hate when my friends are like i got pulled over and the cop was such a d!ck. and im like well whatd you do? And there response is i was doing 70 in a 35 and he pulled me over. what an a$$hole! That just pisses me off to no end haha. so stupid
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

That sucks..i just went catted because i like the sound better then the o/r pipe. Now my dad on the other hand has a o/r y on his T/A and it sounds BADASS lol.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
+1 I hate when my friends are like i got pulled over and the cop was such a d!ck. and im like well whatd you do? And there response is i was doing 70 in a 35 and he pulled me over. what an a$$hole! That just pisses me off to no end haha. so stupid
i know rt.... the cop wasnt a dick for messing with the OP, the OP was beeing a smart mouth so the cop decided to play that game too. I would be a smart *** cop if I had to aand id love every sec of it. i have about 5 friends thagt are cops. they are regular people just like us. they have fast cars, they drink, they like to cheat on their women ect...LMAO
Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

If you drive like a normal human being and dont talk back t someone who can take you to jail....you should be ok with no cats. Every encounter iv ever had with the cops has been favorable to me. Its not because I got lucky everytime, its because I didnt smart off and knew when to shut up. OP got what he deserved, shouldnt have been driving around like that in the first place..

Dont blame the cop for doing his job.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

yeah... what hoss and nerd said... it's hard to fight the man and the law when it's right out there and you know what you're doing is illegal, doesn't help you tried to get an attitude with the cop who was obviously looking to give you something if he stopped you in a parking lot, Va cops are the worse too, I go exactly the speed limit when I'm in Va
Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

The cop was a dick. Being a smart *** isn't a crime BTW, that is where too many cops let it get personal, which they shouldn't do. He had no reason to suspect that the emissions items were tampered with, he was simply basing his suspensions on how loud the car was. So, unless there is a noise pollution law, he had no right. A good lawyer would tear him a new one on how he measured the noise and what the legal limit is.

Originally Posted by 98redstang
70 in a 35, yeah, that is an impounded car and a night in the slammer here. But performing an inspection on a car based solely on how loud it is, that cop is a dick.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

I would have rather taken the ticket.

Quick Reply: Got caught with no cats..... :)