4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Questions for the guys that have done a PI Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Default Questions for the guys that have done a PI Swap

OK i recently bought some Pi heads and cams out of a 2004 gt. Got a great deal on them only $150 But they did not come with the cam gears or the pi intake manifold so i have been doing a lot of research and i found a site saying that i could use my stock intake manifold and cam gears off my non pi mustang. I was wondering if any has done this if so, have they had any trouble with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

The npi intake is most of the problem with the npi setup. You can use the cam gears, they are the same, but I'd get a pi intake to match the heads. I wouldn't do a pi head swap and keep the npi intake.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
The npi intake is most of the problem with the npi setup. You can use the cam gears, they are the same, but I'd get a pi intake to match the heads. I wouldn't do a pi head swap and keep the npi intake.
Ok So i can get the pi manifold for $120 used and them buy the pi kit from summit for $114. Is that everything im going to have to buy. Since i can use my old cam gears and value covers? Am i going to have to buy a new timing chain etc. I also heard about guys having to buy a new alternator bracket?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Your timing components will work if you don't want to buy new ones. I used all my old timing stuff when I did my swap. Since the heads came off of an 04 your valve covers will work too, so will your timing case cover. I think I just cut my alternator bracket to fit. You'll need the coolant tube that goes from the pump and around the intake, since the old one goes under the intake and will not clear the deeper pi intake. Some say to change the nipple on the back of the pump with o-rings. I just cut the pi coolant tube and put a hose and clamps on it and haven't had any issues. Depending on the year of pi intake you get it may be the o-ringed setup in which case you won't need intake or plenum gaskets, if not then you will. Also you'll need to either drill/tap the pi intake for the second coolant sensor that the npi cars have, or if you've got an upgraded npi intake with the aluminum crossover then you can just unbolt it and bolt it up to the pi intake unless the used pi intake you get is the fully plastic one that I wouldn't buy.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Your timing components will work if you don't want to buy new ones. I used all my old timing stuff when I did my swap. Since the heads came off of an 04 your valve covers will work too, so will your timing case cover. I think I just cut my alternator bracket to fit. You'll need the coolant tube that goes from the pump and around the intake, since the old one goes under the intake and will not clear the deeper pi intake. Some say to change the nipple on the back of the pump with o-rings. I just cut the pi coolant tube and put a hose and clamps on it and haven't had any issues. Depending on the year of pi intake you get it may be the o-ringed setup in which case you won't need intake or plenum gaskets, if not then you will. Also you'll need to either drill/tap the pi intake for the second coolant sensor that the npi cars have, or if you've got an upgraded npi intake with the aluminum crossover then you can just unbolt it and bolt it up to the pi intake unless the used pi intake you get is the fully plastic one that I wouldn't buy.
]

Ok thanks for all the help me and my buddy are going to start on it in the next week or 2 right now we are tearing down his ws6 lol. But i have one more question for you. I see that you have stage 2 comp cams did you have any problem with PTV clearance because i was looking at buying those cams but people have told me that they have PTV issues. Again thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

did the same thing, cut the bracket and cut the npi heater tube and put in a rubber hose with clamps. Its not really that hard if you use your common sense while working on it.

I agree with the npi intake vs pi intake.

big difference! Remember you'll need to tap the aluminum crossover on the pi intake (not hard)

hope that helped
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

don't forget all new gaskets.....timing cover gasket set, valve cover gasket set, and new head gaskets, along with some new head bolts. you can buy the head changing kit from summit for something around 120 if i remember right. all the rest i bought from either napa or autozone
Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info yea i plan on buying the head changing kit from summit this week. Then the rest of the gasket and seals at napa or some were else im thinking its going to be around $100 for all the other gaskets im going to need.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

My cams are npi stage 2 cams, so theres no ptv issues. And the valve cover and timing case cover gaskets are all o-ring style gaskets so unless they are torn or look terrible then theres no real reason to buy more, unless you just want to.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
stangdad813

Hey can anyone tell me if i need to worry about replacing the timing chain tensioners? Because when i removed the two tensioners i couldn't get the tensioner to hold closed, they opened up all the way and someone told me i had to replace them. im doing the 98 to 04 head (ported+polished), intake swap. Also isn't there an easier way to place the drivers side head on the car without the head bolts getting in the way? Maybe by fitting the head bolts with a cut to length hose to not allow them to fall through the head, then cutting them out after the head is in place. it was a pain to get out... i still had the manifold bolted to them.

Quick Reply: Questions for the guys that have done a PI Swap