4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tuned or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Default Tuned or what?

A few months ago I purchased my mustang, it already had a few things done to it (mods in my sig). I was just wondering how to figure out if the guy before me did anything else to the car that im not aware of like gears, tune, suspension, ect.. I cant get into contact with the original owner. I was maybe thinking it had a tune, but not 100% sure. The car is pretty snappy, (maybe gears+tune?) and will break loose all the way up to 3-4th gear (manual tranny). thats my main question, can a stock mustang spin tires well into 3rd gear? Not sure if every stock mustang can do this though, so if you guys could enlighten me that would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

having a off road H pipe is signs that it has something in the computer done or it would be throwing codes. wether or not it has been tuned, is a different story
Old 01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

If there is anything on the suspension that isnt back, its aftermarket most likely.

to check if you have gears jack the car up and put a mark on the driveshaft, rotate a rear wheel 1 full revolution and see how many times the driveshaft turns. If it turns a little over 4x u have 4.10s.. a little under and its either 3.73s or 3.90s
Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
having a off road H pipe is signs that it has something in the computer done or it would be throwing codes. wether or not it has been tuned, is a different story
thats what i was thinking too, and i dosnt have cats either. it would be throwing **** loads of codes right? its not throwing any codes, and I have a code reader too.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Also, another good thing to do if you wanna know if it has gears is go out and go into 5th gear and check what rpm you are at going 60. If youre around 2100-2200rpm, you got 4.10's. I dont know what it should be for 3.73's but i'd say its probably be about 2000rpm or so at 60 and then stock its what about 1650-1700rpm or something for the t45???

Also, if you have the o/r h pipe and it isnt throwing any codes, you might just have MIL's. That will get rid of the codes right off the bat. So you might not have a tune or you might have one.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Also, another good thing to do if you wanna know if it has gears is go out and go into 5th gear and check what rpm you are at going 60. If youre around 2100-2200rpm, you got 4.10's. I dont know what it should be for 3.73's but i'd say its probably be about 2000rpm or so at 60 and then stock its what about 1650-1700rpm or something for the t45???

Also, if you have the o/r h pipe and it isnt throwing any codes, you might just have MIL's. That will get rid of the codes right off the bat. So you might not have a tune or you might have one.

ill have to try that sometime, i do mostly city driving but do go on the highway occasionally. And i guess i have the t45 tranny then? and does anybody know the answer to my original question lol. i apriciate you guys helping me with the other stuff too, but will a stock stang break loose in 3rd?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by budders
ill have to try that sometime, i do mostly city driving but do go on the highway occasionally. And i guess i have the t45 tranny then? and does anybody know the answer to my original question lol. i apriciate you guys helping me with the other stuff too, but will a stock stang break loose in 3rd?
It depends on the tires, on a set of stock 245/45-17s with 15k to 20k+ miles on them (tires harden up with age) and a 300 or higher tread wear rating, it would be quite possible...

You do have a T-45, here's a link to my How Fast Can I Go in Each Gear? calculator--select the T-45 and your tire size, then play with the rear-end gear selections to see what RPM = what MPH.

There's a link to my Axle Ratio "Guesstimator" in the upper right of that page--it uses RPM and MPH in 4th gear (1:1 ratio), and tire size, to try to guess the axle ratio--it's not foolproof, but pretty accurate nonetheless...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It depends on the tires, on a set of stock 245/45-17s with 15k to 20k+ miles on them (tires harden up with age) and a 300 or higher tread wear rating, it would be quite possible...

You do have a T-45, here's a link to my How Fast Can I Go in Each Gear? calculator--select the T-45 and your tire size, then play with the rear-end gear selections to see what RPM = what MPH.

There's a link to my Axle Ratio "Guesstimator" in the upper right of that page--it uses RPM and MPH in 4th gear (1:1 ratio), and tire size, to try to guess the axle ratio--it's not foolproof, but pretty accurate nonetheless...
Im assuming the treadware rating is on the side of the tire? or i'd prob just have to look it up. im pretty sure they're fairly new tires. also a few other questions that just dawned upon me, witch tranny is better? the T45 or the 3650? pros and cons? Or is it just different years have different trannys. thanks again.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Both trannies are crap. They dont hold power at all and they are very heavily overdriven in 5th gear. But like cliffy said, you can break the tires loose in 3rd gear if you try. Ive done it with my car and i even got them to spin a tad when hitting 4th before. And now with 4.10's with my stock wheels with crappy toyo tires, i can spin 4th pretty good if i powershift.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

mine does the same thing as yours teej

Quick Reply: Tuned or what?