4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Time for new Rear Tires but how wide can I go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The issue I have with blogs is that people give out advice and recommendations and don't qualify mis-information (in this case, you did just that). To tell someone it is "OK" because a tire shoppe said it is fine, does NOT jive with manufacturers specs and THEY are the ones ultimately liable for it. I am well aware that many, many people run a 275/40 on an 8" wheel and have reported no problems. This, however, does not make it right and one should KNOW that he/she is going beyond the bounds of the design criteria if recommended to do so by another cosidered by OP to have knowledge on the subject in question.

If someone were to post a thread saying... "I would like to run 500 HP on my 4.6, how do I do this?" I sure as hell hope that someone with knowledge on the subject would chime in and say something to the effect... "the stock 4.6 is considered to be maxed out at nearer to 400 HP, are you planning on building up the internals?"

I am certain there is somebody out there running 600 HP on the stock block and... "has not had any problems".

Jazzer
Well said Jazzer. There are too many people on here that recommend tire sizes that aren't the correct width.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The issue I have with blogs is that people give out advice and recommendations and don't qualify mis-information (in this case, you did just that). To tell someone it is "OK" because a tire shoppe said it is fine, does NOT jive with manufacturers specs and THEY are the ones ultimately liable for it. I am well aware that many, many people run a 275/40 on an 8" wheel and have reported no problems. This, however, does not make it right and one should KNOW that he/she is going beyond the bounds of the design criteria if recommended to do so by another cosidered by OP to have knowledge on the subject in question.

If someone were to post a thread saying... "I would like to run 500 HP on my 4.6, how do I do this?" I sure as hell hope that someone with knowledge on the subject would chime in and say something to the effect... "the stock 4.6 is considered to be maxed out at nearer to 400 HP, are you planning on building up the internals?"

I am certain there is somebody out there running 600 HP on the stock block and... "has not had any problems".

Jazzer
This is why I listen to jazzer But yea, Nitto's, that you said you had, run narrow. everyone knows nitto's are some of the narrowest tires out there. That being said, its probably safer to run nitto 275/40's on a stock wheel rather than say a BFG KDW2 275/40 on the stock wheels, which tend to be a little bigger than the norm or about right on par with the norm. I went to jazzer when i wanted to do this originally and he talked me out of it. I would trust anything that would come from him.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

I am well aware that many, many people run a 275/40 on an 8" wheel and have reported no problems. This, however, does not make it right and one should KNOW that he/she is going beyond the bounds of the design criteria if recommended to do so by another cosidered by OP to have knowledge on the subject in question.
Now that you explained your reasoning more thoroughly I understand and agree with you more.

I'm going to be keeping my tires on the rear even though it isn't ideal or recommended. If it works for me and looks good I'm going to keep it even when it's time for new tires.

I do understand your conservative thinking about this now and wish you would put a paragraph like the quoted one above instead of saying not to run 275's with multiple exclamation marks.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Cool

I didn't mean to come of harsh, so sorry if I did I have seen SOO MANY threads of this type and my internet-ediquet is probably not quite what it used to be. I have been torn into a few time by some people who have no idea how to communicate a difference in opinion without saying "You f'ing idiot" or "your a moron".

I feel it is better to explain myself in a manor that is understood better and actually leads to a good understanding of my position. This not only cuts down on the "moron" statements, but hopefully allows the recipient to not dismiss a difference of opinion due to someone being an ahole. I have found a few that have disagreed with me in such a way and have gained better knowledge as a result.

Jazzer

PS. I don't see where I put multiple exclamation points, jheez!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Oh okay no problem and thanks for your help.