4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What will these mods do for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

probably another 20-35 hp id guess
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

where you from in IL mustang430
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

FMIC have been known to give 40 - 60 RWHP alone.. However since your using meth, that is sort of your FMIC so I would say 20 RWHP. LT i would imagine 15 RWHP. Basically your making the car more efficient! You are going to have the same pressure inside so your car isn't going to go BOOM... Thats JMO... It isn't all about RWHP..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Heck, if youre running 410rwhp now, you'll drop your boost by adding the longtubes and the i/c but pick up more power in the process. So yea, i'd say lay off the boost for now. Whenever you have money to buy a new motor, then buy the crank pulley and run 'er til she blows, then swap over everything on a weekend and voila, brand new again

To above: It kinda is but kinda isnt. If your pushing 8lbs of boost and you have a h/c/i setup on your car, youre going to be in the high 400's low 500's for power and your going to blow your motor sky high. But you can be pushing 12+lbs of boost and be at 400rwhp and bend a rod. So in a sense, its all tailored to your specific setup. With meth, intercooler, and longtubes, he's going to be pushing maybe 8lbs of boost instead of 10...but be in the mid 400's range, and that is enough to blow the thing up or bend a rod.

And intercoolers usually dont give you 40-60hp. Usually when people put on an intercooler, they will pulley up because the i/c will drop the boost due to more piping and space in the intake tract, thus losing pressure. So they pulley up to make the same boost they used to or more because of the drop in pressure and they can now run more boost due to a cooler intake charge and not have to worry about detonation as much. So we'll give the i/c a solid 10hp increase since he already has meth so the intake wont be that much cooler than before(now the meth will just help by the added octane rating for more timing) and the longtubes i'll give a modest 10rwhp peak. So he'll be pushing maybe 430-440rwhp i'd say. More than most would ever put into a stock block GT. You also have to consider that that 430-440rwhp would be with spinning the blower, which does take hp. If this were a turbo car at 10lbs, he'd be like in the 460rwhp range so i'd say watch out...

Last edited by teej281; 02-08-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Heck, if youre running 410rwhp now, you'll drop your boost by adding the longtubes and the i/c but pick up more power in the process. So yea, i'd say lay off the boost for now. Whenever you have money to buy a new motor, then buy the crank pulley and run 'er til she blows, then swap over everything on a weekend and voila, brand new again

To above: It kinda is but kinda isnt. If your pushing 8lbs of boost and you have a h/c/i setup on your car, youre going to be in the high 400's low 500's for power and your going to blow your motor sky high. But you can be pushing 12+lbs of boost and be at 400rwhp and bend a rod. So in a sense, its all tailored to your specific setup. With meth, intercooler, and longtubes, he's going to be pushing maybe 8lbs of boost instead of 10...but be in the mid 400's range, and that is enough to blow the thing up or bend a rod.

And intercoolers usually dont give you 40-60hp. Usually when people put on an intercooler, they will pulley up because the i/c will drop the boost due to more piping and space in the intake tract, thus losing pressure. So they pulley up to make the same boost they used to or more because of the drop in pressure and they can now run more boost due to a cooler intake charge and not have to worry about detonation as much. So we'll give the i/c a solid 10hp increase since he already has meth so the intake wont be that much cooler than before(now the meth will just help by the added octane rating for more timing) and the longtubes i'll give a modest 10rwhp peak. So he'll be pushing maybe 430-440rwhp i'd say. More than most would ever put into a stock block GT. You also have to consider that that 430-440rwhp would be with spinning the blower, which does take hp. If this were a turbo car at 10lbs, he'd be like in the 460rwhp range so i'd say watch out...
Im first not suggesting to up the boost.

Second, no it kinda is... 12 psi is going to have more pressure and stress on the engine than a car with H/C/I and boost at 8 psi... If he keeps the same boost, same PSI (pressure per square inch) and makes its more efficient by adding an intercooler (which does drop 1 PSI yet making the IAT cooler thus making the car less prone to detonation and increase efficiency which has the same effect as his meth...) and adds long tubes which will also lower the boost pressure too however still making it more efficient.

Check this link out

https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...l-version.html

The links doesn't work but read the comments.. He gained 35 RWHP with out any tuning or anything.. He later pulled timing and put a more aggressive tune.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I didnt say anywhere that you said to up the boost...but im just suggesting that some people pulley up to recover the boost they lost from the i/c and longtubes...which is something that you would have to do to maintain the same boost pressure after the i/c and longtubes being added. So from what you said, you wont be keeping the boost constant. You'll be lowering boost...thus relieving stress. This much i realize. But you will be adding stress just because power adds stress...which is just common sense cus if power didnt put stress on the motor we'd be able to push how ever much horsepower we would want to with our stock longblocks, as long as the tune is safe and no detonation occurs, WHICH YOU CANNOT DO!!!!!!!...just to be clear for people that may reference this thread in the future in the search or whatever. You dont find anyone running an h/c/i setup on the stock block with a supercharger because all that power will just blow your motor up period. Doesnt matter if your making 500rwhp at 8lbs boost...you wont hold that power for long because the stock motor wont hold 500rwhp at any boost. You can make your setup as efficient as you want, there is a breaking point that the stock shortblock can only hold so much. And also, how much is the intercooler really going to cool the air really over the meth injection the OP already has??? Ive read that meth is more effective at cooling the IAT's than an intercooler is. Just saying that the intercooler will only do a little bit better than the current setup simply because those numbers are with meth already...so there wont be much more to gain with the intercooler. Its not like the intercooler is going to double the gain of meth over...its not like he is going from non-i/c'd to i/c'd or meth injected. I can see adding an intercooler to a non-ic'd setup gaining a decent amount of power, but usually when people do the i/c, they pulley up because while theyre getting a tune because of the better detonation resistance we'll call it to make more power and still have a cooler intake charge. But OP already has a meth kit which will lower the IAT's down into the double digits and the intercooler will only help a little bit over the meth, so no great power increases there.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

You and I have danced this road before and your ignorance continues to baffle me. READ my post. Your the one who keeps talking about upping the boost. At 10 psi adding lt and intercooler would probably drop his boost to 8 psi. I even said his meth is basically the same as the intercooler which is why I said 20 rwhp over his meth. The difference is that the intercooler will be cooling at all time versus the meth. Second RPM KILLS our engines. We have danced this route before. No use in arguing with you. Also it must be a terrible lie when people break 500 rwhp on stock bottom end. It's a myth. A factory freak. Or my favorite "on borrowed time". It come down to tuning and responsibility. If you beat the crap out of your car like and unwanted step child it will blow. Detonation doesn't occur if there is propper fuel involved. Do you even know how an engine works? If detonation occurs at 450 rwhp there will be NO cars above that. I'm not advocating going above 450 rwhp. Nor did I mention power level in this thread. Good job placing words in my mouth. It funny that we are arguing the same thing and led to another argument. I said the longtubes and intercooler will add 35 rwhp... That being extremely extremely generous. I said first that the intercooler was like the meth. Not you. You just repeated what I said. No where did I also say to pully up. Hell he said he isn't going to do it. Get your facts straight before you present yourself like you know what your doing.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

As for the original question, the tuner I've been talking with has said he's made good numbers with Treadstone intercoolers, and they seem very affordable.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

GTRACER88, im just going to stop the bickering back and forth. Its senseless and not necessary. Some stuff said was taken the wrong way and i was not putting words in your mouth, just giving some examples. But whatever. Its over. Back to the OP...might want to look into a vertical core intercooler. Furinox had a thread a while back about the benefits of the vertical and horizontal core intercoolers and stuff. Just giving a suggestion.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Fobra
Banned

Just so you know, there was a member a few years back who ran 520 rwho with a KB on a stock bottom end H/C GT... it lasted for two years that I know of. But it was a weekend warrior. Needless to say it was stupid, but there are good reasons to run HCI on a supercharged stock GT. Reliability being foremost, the more power you can make with less boost the better off you are. On top that there is the bigger issue of powerband. Cams and headwork can make a huge difference in power band and not just peak. So i wouldnt say its stupid or pointless, but you could of course just do the bottom end and surpass it, but if your doing it in stages then put mods on a board and throw darts. IMO I wouldnt run more than 380-400rwhp on a stock head GT bottom end... that way you can flogg it and not worry too much. 350-375 rwhp if you really want to be safe, and honestly if lets say you did 350 rwhp 400 rwtq with a turbo kit... you would be amazed how far you can go with adding tires and suspension and later HCI w/o more boost.

Last edited by Fobra; 02-09-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: What will these mods do for me?