4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Default control arm bushings

i have summit racing upper and lower control arms and the bushings on the LCA's blew out a while ago and now its getting worse. i tried looking on summits website and found some bushings but from other brands and dont know if they fit that control arm and summit couldnt give me an answer either. has anyone replaced theirs and if so which bushings did you go with. i want a better quality bushing than what came with the arms.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Get the UPR sphericals...they might work. Check em out at least.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

This must be common in Summit LCA's. I've heard of this before.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by Eduardo
i have summit racing upper and lower control arms and the bushings on the LCA's blew out a while ago and now its getting worse. i tried looking on summits website and found some bushings but from other brands and dont know if they fit that control arm and summit couldnt give me an answer either. has anyone replaced theirs and if so which bushings did you go with. i want a better quality bushing than what came with the arms.
As teej has mentioned, a spherical joint is going to be helpful here, in a couple ways. The first being that the Summit LCA's/UCA's are more than likely poly/poly and get beat up during DD. This DD also creates stress on the torque-boxes and connection points as the poly bushings resist the "natural movement" of what the rear axle is looking to find.

The spherical ends allow the axle to articulate and hence reduce much of the strain introduced into your torque-boxes and connection points of UCA's. This improved articulation will also really improve your cornering and help apply the wheel torque into the chassis upon a launch.

EVERYBODY wins

Jazzer

PS. To learn more on this subject...

l
l
l
l
V
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Get the UPR sphericals...they might work. Check em out at least.
spericals wont be a direct replacement to these arms, although i do think BMR sells a sherical bushing kit for these type but thats not what im looking for.

Originally Posted by motorman524
This must be common in Summit LCA's. I've heard of this before.
it is very common and i found out about this after i installed the arms. mine blew out within 2 months of having them, i've just been very lazy to change them out.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
As teej has mentioned, a spherical joint is going to be helpful here, in a couple ways. The first being that the Summit LCA's/UCA's are more than likely poly/poly and get beat up during DD. This DD also creates stress on the torque-boxes and connection points as the poly bushings resist the "natural movement" of what the rear axle is looking to find.

The spherical ends allow the axle to articulate and hence reduce much of the strain introduced into your torque-boxes and connection points of UCA's. This improved articulation will also really improve your cornering and help apply the wheel torque into the chassis upon a launch.

EVERYBODY wins

Jazzer

PS. To learn more on this subject...

l
l
l
l
V
eventually in a few months im going to get an all new rear setup which is going to consist of spherical ends but for right now im just looking to replace the worn poly bushings it has now as a quick fix.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

bump.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Call Summit. They do sell replacement bushings, not sure why they aren't showing up. I bought all new bushings upper and lower for $40 last year.

DO NOT order UPR's 3piece poly bushing, it is too big and will not work.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZW99GT
Call Summit. They do sell replacement bushings, not sure why they aren't showing up. I bought all new bushings upper and lower for $40 last year.

DO NOT order UPR's 3piece poly bushing, it is too big and will not work.

yeah i think im just going to order the same bushings that it came with since im only going to have these control arms for a little while longer. i didnt want to get those because i dont want the same thing to happen again, but they're squeaking and clunking so bad right now that im just gonna get those. thanks man.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

IF you hear metal on metal clanging, you may be too late

This is what happened to mine a day after the bushing cracked. I just beat mine with a hammer back to a circle(ish) shape and threw them on. Swapped it out a couple days later.

P.S. Don't ask about the poster in the background. One word...........Roommates
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member

wow that looks horrible. i hope mine isnt like that, when i've looked at it, it didn't look like that, damn now you have me paranoid lol.