4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

what do you think about these lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Even with poly at one end? I mean i was thinking that the poly would make it bind at least some...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I'm with Wannabe here on a single spherical being enough to avoid bind on the LCA's. There is only going to be soo much travel, but would be curious if someone actually had the degree of it. I would guess about 10~12 degrees is maxed out. If you took the spherical joint and placed a bolt through the hole, you could easily measure the degree of movent and the axle just wont move that far. The poly bushing on the opposite end will essentially apply no strain whatever.

The advantage of a dual spherical LCA would just be the lack of the "weaker" link being a poly (or some other type of rubber material) failing over time. I think that if one is launching on M/T's or Hoosiers, he/she WILL have eventual failure of parts due to the continued strain placed upon them. The only way to avoid it is to seriously beef up just about everything on the drive train and suspension to handle the beatings.

SteedaGus... any idea of the actual degree of axle articulation in the SN95?

Jazzer
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So would it be a waste to get the spherical/spherical lower control arms over poly/spherical???
Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I wouldn't say a waste, just really not necessary unless you want to have a stronger set-up for launching is all. The sphericals will hold up better than the poly ones, at least in theory. I am sure someone out there makes a stronger poly bushing than another makes a spherical.

This is why one buys reputation, not a name

Jazzer
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

But for handling there really is no need for the spherical on both ends???
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Nope
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Jazzer, i know im going to sound like a D.A., but whats better about the Griggs control arm over the MM control arm with the same poly/spherical setup??? I mean i see that the MM ones are $260 and the Griggs are $330, so what makes the Griggs arms better to pay that much more for the Griggs than the MM??? They are both totally top notch equipment any way you look at it, but is there a design difference that makes the Griggs better??? Are they made beefier or stronger in any way that would cause them to be superior to the MM control arms??? I would personally like to see both control arms tested in a comparison to see if the Griggs offers better performance or not...or at least to justify the extra $70 for them.

And just to be clear, im just asking and no disrespect at all in this post, just curious as to why they are better.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I understand your question and no problem as it is an honest one (not really sure why no one has asked it before, actually)

I bet you could run them both side by side and not notice a difference. I don't see one breaking any sooner than the other, nor an improvement in ride quality. I simply mention Griggs as my preferred one as it is built specifically for race cars on the track and their reputation is every bit, if not a little stronger than MM (don't everyone jump down my throat on that one, it is purely subjective). I like the idea of adjustability as well.

Jazzer
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Is there a benefit for handling in the adjustable length for the control arms???
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The upside as I see it would be the ability to address some slight rubbing of tires. When the car is lowered, the location of the wheels is moved back a small amount. This happens because the arm goes from its OEM angle of slightly upward toward the torque boxes, to about level. This moves the wheels back a bit and the adjustability may be helpful, but rarely necessary.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: what do you think about these lower control arms?