4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

what do you think about these lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Default what do you think about these lower control arms?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/21901/10002/-1
Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

They have urethane bushings...so if youre launching, they are going to bind and you will have to replace them frequently. Find yourself some lower control arms that have spherical bushings on each end.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

what do you think about the lift bar part of them?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I dont know exactly cus ive never actually seen someone run them before. Id rather just run a spherical/spherical lower control arm and get some upr spherical bushings for the stock upper control arms and call it a day.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Do you plan to put a poweradder and slicks on the car and launch it hard? If not, those control arms will be more than enough. I ran these for quite a while launching the car very hard and they were fine until I got into the 1.5 60ft range.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-790000B-W/

Even then I had trouble with the upper to frame bushing, never any problem with the lowers. Actually I went 1.43 60ft on the lowers w/ 2piece poly bushings and a solid upper.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

For a strictly lauching application, either of the LCA's linked will be fine. The issue teej is referring to is the additional bind introduced by them for DD activities. Those will be hard on your torque-boxes in the corners and create additional snap-oversteer type issues on the street.

I will never recommend one get a poly/poly LCA/UCA on a street car. Hell, I won't recommend one in ANY case, but if were 100% drag-only ride, I would have no issue with using them.

Jazzer
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i just finished the 1500 s/c kit with blow thru maf and custom water to air intercooler, be installed this spring. i also have crower stage 2 blower cams going in next month, havent recieved these yet. other than that i have full bolt ons and sniper tuned. hopefully slicks this summer, if the funds come in. btw this is a auto car.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

jazzer, i use to love the twisties before i got hurt(mx accident), but now being in a wheelchair, i have to use 1 hand for gas/brake and the other for steering. this kinda cut the sharper turns out for me, so i looked into drag racing for the new car hobby. this car will be a dd for a little while longer though. btw, ive read all your links in your sig, great info! i truely respect your input. thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Yea those control arms will work fine for you, very similar the the FRPP LCA
Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by school boy
jazzer, i use to love the twisties before i got hurt(mx accident), but now being in a wheelchair, i have to use 1 hand for gas/brake and the other for steering. this kinda cut the sharper turns out for me, so i looked into drag racing for the new car hobby. this car will be a dd for a little while longer though. btw, ive read all your links in your sig, great info! i truely respect your input. thanks
Yours is a case in which I think those LCA's will be fine. They are only going to be detrimental over time on a DD car. I have to imagine that brace that connects around axle would be VERY stressful to your torque-boxes on ANY kind of turns. I would recommend you just make sure you put the suspension mods to support your power input. I have seen too many pepes go all out on go-go juice mods and fall way short on the suspension and brakes to keep it under control.

My guess is those LW LCA's will be strong enough as they are designed for launching.

Jazzer

PS. Thanks

Quick Reply: what do you think about these lower control arms?