4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I dont know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah bring it back and tell them to fix it and tell them to do it the right way this time. the least they could do is use the hardware that you bought.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
They removed the cross member and lifted the engine about 2 inches, and when they bolted the engine back down they didn't center it very well because I had to adjust my shaker lol. They said it would be the first and last Mach 1 they do headers on because it took them 2 full days to do it. They are obviously not the best lol. They only managed to get a few locks on there, obviously not enough...
If they dropped the K member they would have all the necessary clearance needed to install the locking bolts.

If they didn't center your motor correctly that means they didn't put the motor back into the mounts correctly, which I don't think is the case.

2 full days is a joke. May I ask how much you paid for the install?

You are correct that they aren't the best. If I were you I would not take my car back to them.

I hope you do realize that after time header bolts will come loose, that's just how it goes. It's like that with all the exhaust bolts. Install them then check a couple days later to tighten them back up. Unless you had the locking bolts on them or some sort of antiseize you should have known they would need to be re-tightened.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I paid 450 for the install like they quoted me before they actually did the install, and then 170 for two new o2 sensors that stripped out, so in total $619.xx. Did I mention they broke my dipstick lol. I bought a lockar or something from summit to replace it and that manufacturer is a joke... My dad found a way to make it fit tho. Its actually kinda funny, I'll take a picture of it when I make the video of the sound. They didn't center the motor correctly somehow because my shaker was centered in the hole in the hood when it went in. It came out leaning and to the passenger side. I adjusted it as far as I could towards the driver side and added a couple of spacers to level it out lol. Bugs me a little... I wont go back to them...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
I'm pretty sure that my headers are coming loose... I had them installed in November and I can hear a "woosh" like sound coming from my engine bay and when I step on it, it is louder than usual... Also in the mornings when I start it up and let it warm up a little, it sounds like it has a giant fan just blowing air everywhere... I will get a video up as soon as I can. Its hard to explain but what should I do to fix this. Is the shop that installed them responsible for them coming loose or is it my problem??? Also, I bought teflon(I think) header gaskets and I hear they blow out, is it true that there is a type of gasket that is extra thick that squishes when tightened and and as the engine gets hot and cools down it adjusts to stay tight all the time? Another thing is I bought stage 8 locking header bolts but the shop said that it would be impossible to get the locking part on, any of you guys get these things on? -Thanks
I had my tuner install mine and I used OEM replacement header gaskets because he said they are the best out there and he also had no problem getting my locking header bolts on.

Edit: You already know I know the same headers and midpipe as you
Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
If they dropped the K member they would have all the necessary clearance needed to install the locking bolts.

If they didn't center your motor correctly that means they didn't put the motor back into the mounts correctly, which I don't think is the case.

2 full days is a joke. May I ask how much you paid for the install?

You are correct that they aren't the best. If I were you I would not take my car back to them.

I hope you do realize that after time header bolts will come loose, that's just how it goes. It's like that with all the exhaust bolts. Install them then check a couple days later to tighten them back up. Unless you had the locking bolts on them or some sort of antiseize you should have known they would need to be re-tightened.
+1. Don't bring it back there. A shop shouldn't of stripped out your o2's then charged you for it, and after 2 days they couldn't do it right? Stay far away.

It is also normal for headers to loosen up. So get the locking bolts in there.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I had my tuner install mine and I used OEM replacement header gaskets because he said they are the best out there and he also had no problem getting my locking header bolts on.

Edit: You already know I know the same headers and midpipe as you
Haha, yeah I need to go off-road too though because my cats scrape on speed bumps and stuff and I still have the factory suspension...
Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Alright, I dont know whats going on but the sound is gone now... sounds normal again. I just opened her up through first and second and its fine now... WTF??? still have the exhaust leak sound tick tick tick tick... but no whooosh fan blowing everywhere sound lol. What is going on!?!?