4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How the heck do I shift my 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default How the heck do I shift my 5 speed?

Now, this isn't my first manual trans. However, it is my first manual trans behind some horsepower. Shifting while going to grocery store or late night cruise, smooth as silk. Shifting at 5k trying to impress buddies, horrible! Like I was shifting an old dump truck. (Can never find third and probably looks like Im smashing a heard of tarantulas with my left foot)

My nephew had (repo'd) almost identical car except it was a convertible. Procharged and a crap load of other hop ups. His shifting was lighting. When I asked how he did it, he said he just slams shifter into next gear without ever letting off throttle. I watched in horror with own eyes. He claimed in 03, Ford made the trans so it could be shifted in this manner. Kept saying it's bullet proof. At 36, this is my first Mustang. Im a total a noob.

Now, me being old school, I just cant bring myself to do this and to believe that shifting like that isn't hurting trans.

So I thought I would start practicing clutchless shifting as to improve my shifting. Maybe that's how they do it. Watching videos on YouTube, comments say doing that hurts the syncros or something like that. My car is currently in storage for winter and has never been shifted this way or nephews way, since I have owned.

So, How the heck do I shift my 5 speed? (Like a pro?)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

If you keep powershifting which is what your nephew is doing than your gonna wreck your syncros. And beat the crap out of your tranny.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
cbbass123
1st Gear Member

Some mustang trannies powershift with ease...while others just don't like it. Thats just the way it is... In my old 5.0 all race prepped...the pro built T5 powershifted effortlessly. It was like a manual automatic. My currenty 00GT hates me powershifting to third. Like it locks it out.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Mach1Marauder
1st Gear Member

LOL.............Your 3650 isn't set up for clutchless shifting!
To make that tranny shift well you need a few theings.

Using the stock clutch cable, get an adjustable firewall adjuster and a quadrant.
A good shifter is a must. I like the MGW shifter the best. You WON'T miss third with it.

If you have second or third gear grinds when cold and you don't want to tear into the tranny:
Get a bottle of Lucas tranny fix and 3quarts of Mobile1 auto tranny fluid
Drain the WARM tranny and reinstall the drain plug
Remove the shifter........clean off any RTV...perfect time to change the shifter!
Pour the entire bottle in the shifter hole
Add enough Mobil1 to make a TOTAL OF ALL OIL ADDED to a total of 3liters
This is the level that Ford says to add in it's TSB because higher levels were causing shifting problems.
Put a thin layer of RTV on the tranny. Let it "skim" for 15-20 min
Bolt the new or old shifter back.
DOn't go bang the gears right off the bat. Let the Lucas get mixed.
All those are not difficult mods at all.
Do a search and I'm sure you can get a walk thru for the installs on the adjuster and quadrant.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Your tranny is NOT bulletproof, not even close. I wouldn't powershift unless you have a STS and I wouldn't try powershifting until you can speed shift with ease.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

dude I am scared to even try power shifting haha. As far as what the OP is asking, you just need to get more comfortable with your "forced shifts." (That meaning when you are trying to shift fast from 2nd to 3rd, etc)

Remember that when you pull the car out of gear (i.e. neutral) that the lever "defaults" to the middle, which is right between 3rd and 4th. So remember that when you are shifting, and use that as a "guide" to help you get into 3rd easier. That way, instead of trying to go literally from 2nd to 3rd (in a "/" movement, and until you get the hand of it at least) you can mentally "see" yourself pausing in neutral to help sync up your shift lever, so then you can just ram it right up into third (like up out of second, rest in middle, up into third, and not a "/" motion). Once you get the hang of it, it will be a single step process, but this way at least you can get a "feel" for it.

The only way to get better is to practice. I wouldn't worry about power shifting too much until you get the basic down (until you get the motions down that is)

Last edited by 0949er; 02-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Do we know of similar threads on shifting techniques? Im sure this has been asked before. I searched a few times but got lost in the thread jungle.

So, is there something I'm missing?

Power shifting = No.
Clutchless shifting = No????

Are there some tips or techniques anyone could lend?

My buddy just got an 88 GTA 5.7L with shift kit 700R4. We talked about lining them up this spring. In previous thread, I asked if I could take him. Everyone voted yes after my 3.73 gear swap.

But if I cant shift the dang car, its over...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Your tranny is NOT bulletproof, not even close. I wouldn't powershift unless you have a STS and I wouldn't try powershifting until you can speed shift with ease.
Powershifting = Just slamming shifter while on gas

Speedshifting = ??????? With clutch but as fast as humanly possible?????

Clutchless Shifting = Waiting for drivetrain slack and quickly shifting

Need to get updated on my lingo...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
LOL.............Your 3650 isn't set up for clutchless shifting!
To make that tranny shift well you need a few theings.

Using the stock clutch cable, get an adjustable firewall adjuster and a quadrant.
A good shifter is a must. I like the MGW shifter the best. You WON'T miss third with it.

If you have second or third gear grinds....
It only grinds when I miss or clutch is out. (Me being "out of sync")

Sitting in nephews car once, after he had a new clutch installed, I remember he was speaking of some cable thing. Compared to my stocker clutch, you could breath on his clutch pedal and make it depress.

Is this what that cable would do for me? And, where can I purchase? Would AmericanMuscle.com carry what you speak of?

Last edited by MyGt03; 02-08-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
+1...baby steps OP. Power shifting done wrong will eat things up the fastest. Practice nice clean shifts...basically speed shifting when your comfortable.

Quick Reply: How the heck do I shift my 5 speed?