4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Fresh Mustang, Best way to maintain.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
stang1118

Default Fresh Mustang, Best way to maintain.

Hey everyone, as you might have known from my previous posts, I was involved in a 4 vehicle wreck and of course, my car being the best one in the wreck, only one totaled. So I am going to purchase (hopefully if no one offers a better price) a 2003 Mustang GT Black convertible, Black top, with Tan leather interior. It is a 100th Centennial edition. I am going to fully detail it to take care of the interior as well as the exterior (of course). But today I came up to a new product that I can't remember if I have seen it before called IBIZ, It is a detail company that sells wax's etc. Personally I know a tiny bit I wouldn't say a lot about waxing and maintaining the outside for the perfect shine, and relentless water beading. I know Meguiars is probably the best out there, but I have also used Malco, 3M (the rubbing compound and the wax once), along with a bunch of Meguiars products, I was thinking of getting the Meguiars Professional series stuff, but I am wondering what everyone on here thinks. If you pick a certain brand, please list what products you use or recommend and the stages for a Full outside detail, as inside I am not too worried about I know some products I really like. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Check out the detailing section of the forums. I would recommend using a claybar kit though as part of your detailing.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

+1 to claybar!!! That really cleaned my car up beyond belief...

Wash, claybar, wax. That's what i do. My friend gets all crazy with his polishes and stuff and it comes out NICE!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you claybar your car first before applying any polish or wax of any kind. Only problem with Meguiars professional product line is long term protection. Yes there #7 polish is the shiniest but i don't think it lasts as long as a normal polish simply cause its more of a show car polish as opposed to a daily driven car use polish. I personally just claybar, then Meguiars deep crystal polish then finish it off with the Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax. Offers a good amount of shine with the polish and the nxt wax protects the polish and the rest of the clearcoat. I'm by no means a pro detailer this is just a little i've learned when i first detailed my car.

Last edited by wrr1020; 02-13-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
White002GT
1st Gear Member

This is what I do for my car once the spring rolls around. Get a bucket of hot water and dawn dish soap. I personally use soap as lubricant for the clay bar, so I'll wash one panel at a time, clay, than move to the next. Than I was the car again to make sure nothing was missed. Than dry it off. Next I put the car up on stands and pull the wheels off. The wheels, tires, suspension, fender walls, anything I can reach gets cleaned. I use degreaser, and more dawn for all these. Once the wheels are off, you can take an old piece of clay bar, and clay the do the wheels. Clean the barrels out really good, brake cleaner will take up any really caked on brake dust. I like F21 Turtle tire foam to dress the fender walls, cleans up real nice.

Now its polishing time, I use a Porta Cable, and Lake Country pads. I've been using the Poorboys SSR line for my polishing for 3 years and I really like it. It's really easy to use. If your going to be polishing by hand though, Klasse All In One is what I would recommend. Its a polish and wax/sealer. You can add another coat of another carnuba wax for a wetter/deeper look if you like.

Plastic trim, you can dress with the same F21 tire shine on a rag, and buff to your desired look. I'm a fan of the matte look myself.

Head lights and tail lights you can treat the same as paint btw, they get swirled just like paint.

If you want any more specific info, or tips for the engine bay or interior, lmk, its pretty self explanatory though.

- Sean
Old 02-13-2010, 09:55 PM
White002GT
1st Gear Member

I forgot to add, that you shouldn't use dawn after that initial cleaning. Get a quality soap, meguiars gold class is a good choice. You'll also want to get quality mitts or drying towels. And look into getting an electric leaf blower for drying, the less you touch the paint, the less swirls your going to create, even with a waffle weave drying towel.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

PM or check out Justin's (s/n Juztang) website for great detailing products.

His website is www.obsessivedetail.com
Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I wash, claybar, then wax mine. Most of my products are meguiers and im very happy with them. Ive never done the leaf blower, but im gonna do that this summer, sounds like a great idea!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=mustangmancp;6816419Ive never done the leaf blower, but im gonna do that this summer, sounds like a great idea![/QUOTE]

yeah it does I think drying is the worst part of washing. I might try that too.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

My neighbors would look at me like i was weird if they saw me with the leaf blower drying off my car. It does sound like a great idea though...

I use a california squeegee. $20 and the best thing ever. Then i use 2 little microfiber towels and my car is all dry!!!! Seriously, get a squeegee. This one is all rubber and you can't scratch the car. Idk what i did without it for so long!!! I can dry my car in about 5 min i guess.

http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c...JellyBlade.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fresh Mustang, Best way to maintain.