4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Would a 1999-2004 mustang be a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

probably with the top up but down it would look strange to me
Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Now if the whole top of the car were painted black(from the top body line including hood and everything), then it would look badass. But i dont think that it would look right with the top down.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

I just got my GT back in late September and think it's a great car. Just don't drive like an idiot in it and think your above all on the road. I drive my car pretty slow actually most of the time, i always obey speed limits etc but sometimes you'll get the itch to punch it. Just be aware of where you do it and whose present. This is my second car, had a 2000 Contour Sport before i got my GT. Drove that car for about 3 years then i got my Mustang.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

+1 on the stang but dont let the *** end get away from u
Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Just a quick response about the yellow Cobra...check this out!
It's a Boyd Coddington Roush Mustang, but I think it's like the special DeWalt tools version. Anyways, not that you would want to do that, but here's a pic of what some people were talking about.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Like everyone else said, it depends on the driver, but I'm glad I waited until I was 21 to buy a GT. You don't need to buy a v6 stang, but my advise would be to try your hand with a car that's rear wheel drive and a bit more stable than a mustang can be.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
JMJ4492

Thanks for the opinions guys I ended up buying a 99 z28 m6 for $7500 it has 81,000 miles on it. I wanted a stang, but I got a good deal on this and it is in great condition. I can't wait to start modding. I am gonna start saving for a terminator cobra my dream car and make the camaro a dd.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dastangman
Mustangs are pretty good beginner cars. The 3.8L really aren't as powerful as a lot of non-Mustang people would like to believe. A lot of people just assume they're all V8 monsters, but in reality they have like 190hp, which is a lot less than many current family sedans. Meaning, your moms Accord is probably just as likely to get wrapped around a tree just as fast. If you're looking at the GT, it's another story, most of those are going to have pretty decent power, but it's sorta gray territory here, but I'll get into that in a second.

The problem with Mustangs isn't that they go fast, because in truth every car can go just as fast to some degree, but the fact that many teens feel they need to go fast to fit a specific look. Sure we all say we'll obey the speed limit, but it's tempting and when your buddies are in the car and you want to show off just how "fun" your ride is, you start to cause problems. At the same time though, 16 year old Joe Blow in his Mercury Sable is going to fly down the street just as fast most of the time, because in the end, young drivers are above the law of road (so we liked to think). Sometimes, actually owning a nicer car is a smarter move, because you'll tend to take even more care of it. Sure it's nice to have a car you don't care about dings and dents with, but sometimes having a car you do care about will be the difference between doing or not doing something that you shouldn't.

If you're looking for a GT, then of course you're stepping up the power, which again is just a matter of how you can control it and how responsible you are. Again, the same laws apply as mentioned early about being tempting to speed, and it's just that much more. However, I've also found that sometimes having more power seems to make you feel less likely to speed, because you already know what you have under the hood and you don't have to make up for it by flooring it around, if that makes sense.

Generally, what'll happen though, is a young person will get the V6 and think it's awesome, just because they finally have a Mustang, but it doesn't take long for that V8 itch to come along. Mustangs are actually rather affordable right now, so if you have an extra grand or so to purchase the V8 do it. Also prices seem to vary widely, so you can find the same exact car down to mileage (save maybe color) for widely different prices in the same area. Just search around and you're bound to find good deals. This is a buyers economy...people are getting rid of stuff they don't need.

Insurance isn't terrible. Put in perspective, I'm 21 through State Farm, the car is completely in my name as I purchased it and pay insurance, etc...you know the goods, and it's an 01 Cobra Convertible. Cost me roughly 90 bucks a month for full coverage. I store in the winter, so it goes on storage then, but really, that's not much worse than what I was insured as a student driver under my parents car (Chevy Impala) which was like 70 or something. So for 20 more bucks (the price of maybe a dinner or movie), you get a much better car. It's just priorities and financial abilities that come into play.

Long story short, they're a good car, but a lot of owners give them a bad rap from poor responsibility, hence why they have a reputation for not being good starter cars. But if I remember correctly, and I'm not slamming V6s at all, they're were probably about 8 girls and 5 guys in my high school who had 94 (140hp) to 04 (190hp) 3.8Ls. A couple had the 302 with 210hp and a couple had GTs with the 240hp. So there's a large range of performance there, and cost of course, so I suppose the rest is up to you.
Great, well written post.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMJ4492
Thanks for the opinions guys I ended up buying a 99 z28 m6 for $7500 it has 81,000 miles on it. I wanted a stang, but I got a good deal on this and it is in great condition. I can't wait to start modding. I am gonna start saving for a terminator cobra my dream car and make the camaro a dd.
M6? Sorry I don't know a lot about chevy.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

My GT was my first car, i loved that thing. it was fast but not too fast.But i couldve easily ( and almost did) kill myself in it. but i respected it and the last thing i wanted was to lose it. of course i live on a farm and have been drivin since i was like 5 lol so i knew a thing or 2 about driving. If your matureenough, go for it, but some people need to stay with a v6 or less for a while lol

Quick Reply: Would a 1999-2004 mustang be a good first car?