4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hi, what do you guys think of this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
_-scooter-_

Default Hi, what do you guys think of this.

Im new to the forums and dont currently own a mustang but i am looking to get one very soon.
let me know what you guys think of the one im looking at. as i know right next to nothing about mustangs.
im looking for a convertable.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
97gold
2nd Gear Member

get a v8
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Black_GT_02
4th Gear Member

What are your plans for it?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Eh, a lot of people jump into buying a V6, and although on the outside they try to justify it with a lot of different reasons, on the inside, they're always wishing they woulda spent a little more, sometimes less than $500 difference, to purchase the GT.

If you're especially new to Mustangs, the V6 usually seems like a pretty beefy deal, especially when it looks basically the same. But, you just don't want to jump the gun. If in the end, no matter way you flip the dice the 3.8L is the way you want to go, that's fine, and I respect that decision...I'm just saying a lot of people are mislead or misuniformed when buying a Mustang and just buy the 3.8L because, well it's a Mustang only to later regret it.

I'll do a quick search in the Florida area and see what I can come up with.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false - This is a good looking car, and in comparison has less miles, plus the 5.0L V8. It needs a heater core, yes, but depending on who you know or what you can talk them down, you could spend the money you saved to get it fixed. I think the interior is sharp, and a big bonus is that the transmission has been rebuilt (although I'd advise to check into this more on reasons why and where it was rebuilt). And as always it seems with the V8s, there's a nice selection of basic aftermarket goodies to complement the car beyond just a stereo. Plus a few recent new replacement parts have been done, and probably will be same insurance cost. Course, you might not be fond of the this body style so we'll continue the search.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national - Here's another car, similar to original pick, but less miles and signifcantly cheaper. I'm not sure exactly where you're located, but this is within 100 miles of RockLedge, FL.

But don't forget to even check farther than that. You might have to make a hassled drive across state lines to check a vehicle out, and maybe another to purchase and pick up, but you can sometimes save a good chunk of money by shopping outside the usual territory you spend your time in. Plus, getting away for the weekend to check out a car can be a great reason to just spend some time with the significant other if there is one.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

dude don't compromise with a Mustang. Get a v8 and stick shift. Only way to go (sorry people with v6's...) Plus, people will call you a girl if you go with a v6, idk if you are one of not but it's just wrong to be called that for choosing the wrong stang (again sorry v6's lol)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

It's interesting he posted this in the 4.6l section. For one, it deals more with general Mustang discussion and secondly it's not a V8! Just future reference, try and put the thread where it belongs, you'll get less biased opinion, of course, in this case, I'd rather see it here so us V8 guys can talk you out of a big 3.8L mistake.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
_-scooter-_

my bad on posting in the wrong section, like i said im new to mustangs and also need to save money on gas so a v8 is out of the question. just dont got the $$ to support it. along with that i only barely know how to drive stick. i can drive a motercycle just fine but end up stalling my bros car almost constantly when he lets me drive it. i just wanted your guys opinion about the car for the price really. im going to talk the guy down as much as possible but what do you guys think is a fair price?
also i asked the guy about the tires, he said in the listing there new tires. but in the pics(#10 i think) the tires look pretty bald. it kinda worries me but ill have to go look to check it out. im going saturday so ill give you guys an update when im back.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Fobra
Banned

the mpg is very similar, its all in how you drive it... and an CAI makes a big difference. You can get 23-27 mpg if you drive right.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
97gold
2nd Gear Member

if ur worried about gas get a honda
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Roush04s1

my frst car was a 2002 v6 did a few things to it loved the thing to death.... i just got a 2004 stage 1 roush (same thing as a GT) i love the v8 if your going to get a mustang get the v8 dont waste your time with the v6 because once you get that you will just end up wanting the v8 after all

Quick Reply: Hi, what do you guys think of this.