4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What is the best N/A stage 2 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You should tell your buddy to do a little more research or start researching about cams before he pulls the trigger and has them installed. Like said above have him call Nick at Modular Head Shop.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
GT2ENVY
2nd Gear Member

I been looking through the threads in the website and their is alot of info! good stuff on there.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i did a BUNCH of research before i bought mine. I went with the hitechs, i gained 30 hp, and they sound sick! Made my car so powerful i cracked my intake haha. Now the edelbrock is on the way!.

But good luck with your decision i think you'll be happy either way.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Yea i did a BUNCH of research before i bought mine. I went with the hitechs, i gained 30 hp, and they sound sick! Made my car so powerful i cracked my intake haha. Now the edelbrock is on the way!.

But good luck with your decision i think you'll be happy either way.
Huh, interesting to know.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

First I would say the comp cams are not bad, good enough in fact that trickflow feels pretty confident using them testing the new heads, I believe. Second, from most of what I've read, the performance from most stage 2 cams are pretty close. You'll do pretty well with just about any one of them as far as I'm concerned. Some say you don't need springs, I would ignore that. I'd look into things like if notching the pistons is going to be necessary or not.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:55 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I believe that valve springs should always be done while youre in there messing with stuff anyways. And not all stage 2 cams perform the same. They may have close to the same peaks but its the midrange where they are separated. And mustangmancp, i thought HOSS did all the footwork and you just benefitted from it just messin with ya man. And yea mrtstang, i think im going to look into getting Nick's stage 3 cams with his cam gear degreeing service and then get some new valves through him as well and then installing them myself with some help from my mechanic friend at his garage. I'd like to say that i'll have cams this summer, but who knows. I just found out this week that i'm going to mustang week so the pressure is on to have an awesome performing/looking car for the 3rd week of july. Looking at getting a second job for over the summer to do as much as i can before.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

I'll add CMS Stage II's in the mix. If you look at any "Best E.T." list most of the fastest cars use these cams.
There are others scattered through the list but CMS Stage II's lead the pack. They won't always win on the dyno but if you're looking for track performance like I was it's a easy decision. Also the 190rwhp gained from a 150 shot on my car is something to think about down the road if you ever want to step it up.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

CMS Stg 2's hands down.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
CMS Stg 2's hands down.
And anyone that does their research will clearly see it!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Hey i did do research lol...i was wanting the hitechs and Hoss happend to be selling them...it worked out perfectly lol.

Quick Reply: What is the best N/A stage 2 cam?