4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Military question (since it seems many of you are in now or were before)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kenny_k82
Just don't join the Army or the Marines... It's not worth it. 5 yrs experience with a year in Afghan. If you really wanna join they will find a way to get you in, thats the problem with the military right now. Seriously, they will let anyone in... I have seen guys that were literally mentally retarded. Hell my brother who shares this account was hit in Iraq in Oct. Stopped breathing almost died, he will never be able to run again and his knee and leg were destroyed, hell he is pissed he didn't just lose it. Anyways, he has the choice to stay in and they will give him a ****ty job where he won't do anything. Numbers are up for now, but I can tell you retention is ****ty.

when i see people have attitudes like that, it offends me. Im currently in the marine corps, im an infantry rifleman and have been in a lil over 3 years. you are correct about letting anyone in. that was true about a year ago, the marine corps is now more strict and are not just letting anyone in now a days. to say its not worth joing the army or marines is just ludacris, marines have a reputation of being the best and in my eyes we are. regular infantry contracts are 4 years not 5 and the way they do it today is 7months on deployment and 14months back in the states.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RiCe_KiLlEr
when i see people have attitudes like that, it offends me. Im currently in the marine corps, im an infantry rifleman and have been in a lil over 3 years. you are correct about letting anyone in. that was true about a year ago, the marine corps is now more strict and are not just letting anyone in now a days. to say its not worth joing the army or marines is just ludacris, marines have a reputation of being the best and in my eyes we are. regular infantry contracts are 4 years not 5 and the way they do it today is 7months on deployment and 14months back in the states.
Are you deployed right now? Just curious because my friend was part of the assault on Marjah and his truck was hit with an IED. Hes kinda banged up and arrived back in the states today for surgery.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
No, lol. They Only know what you slip up and tell them. They do a NCIC check when you go to MEPS and that's about it. Just tell them you're healthy. It's stupid to tell them anything they don't need to know. It just prolongs everything. When I first went in I had a "Plea under advisement" for a fight I got into, I told them, it took 3 months to get in and when it was all said and done, I didn't need a waiver cause the case was dropped and basically, I stepped on my own dick by telling them. All through basic they are also going to tell you your **** test is came back and they know that you were smoking drugs and you should admit to it now. (For 3 months I heard that same crap and all I could do was laugh. I've never even had a drop of alcohol in my life, lol)

They say they know and can find anything when really, they don't and can't.

You may need to just go back to your recruiter and tell him you were mistaken about your injury and everythings fine.

I remember when I was interviewing with my recruiter and he'd ask me questions with a dramatic pause and say, "If you answer yes to this question, you will not be allowed in the Marine Corps" "Have you ever....?".

So long as you pass the ASVAB, NCIC & minimum physical requirements, you'll be good.
LOL and don't forget while he's at meps hes going to hear this about 9 million and six times:

"if you lie about any of this information we will find out and you will face up to 5 years in prison and/or a 10,000$ fine".

there is very little they would be able to find out about you by doing any sort of searches. patient doctor confidentiality does not allow them to get any information about you from any doctors without a court order (warrant, which won't happen without probable cause). so yeah unless you slip up and change your story they will never know.

however i don't know how it will work since you already admitted to one recruiter about your problems. you may have trouble getting into that branch even by lying because i don't know if they keep all the applicants info online. other branches wouldn't know though.

and damn near everyone fibs on their meps thing btw just to ease your mind. they ask you retarded **** like: if you ever had allergies as a child, if you've ever underage drank, ever done any drugs to include perscription and marijuana, ever broken a bone or gone to the ER, medical problems, family history of whatever, blah blah blah. your recruiter will tell you your answer is NO for everything except what they can see.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 02-26-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:53 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

no my unit got back from afghanistan back in june. were doing work ups right now and we are deploying in september
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
LOL and don't forget while he's at meps hes going to hear this about 9 million and six times:

"if you lie about any of this information we will find out and you will face up to 5 years in prison and/or a 10,000$ fine".

there is very little they would be able to find out about you by doing any sort of searches. patient doctor confidentiality does not allow them to get any information about you from any doctors without a court order (warrant, which won't happen without probable cause). so yeah unless you slip up and change your story they will never know.

however i don't know how it will work since you already admitted to one recruiter about your problems. you may have trouble getting into that branch even by lying because i don't know if they keep all the applicants info online. other branches wouldn't know though.

and damn near everyone fibs on their meps thing btw just to ease your mind. they ask you retarded **** like: if you ever had allergies as a child, if you've ever underage drank, ever done any drugs to include perscription and marijuana, ever broken a bone or gone to the ER, medical problems, family history of whatever, blah blah blah. your recruiter will tell you your answer is NO for everything except what they can see.
my recruiter straight up took my medical paper work that your suppose to fill out n wripped it. he said they wont look at your medical background so dont bother saying anything to them.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RiCe_KiLlEr
no my unit got back from afghanistan back in june. were doing work ups right now and we are deploying in september
Oh ok. It seems likes its gettin pretty bad over there
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Like stated before, pretty much everything is waiverable. When it comes to medical stuff, they really don't care as long as you'll be able to fulfill all your duties. There are of course exceptions, for example if you were going into aviation job that would require you to be cleared for a flight status, they would require a much more thorough medical exam.
Keep in mind, that you will be exerting yourself more than ever before (well not in the navy or air force) and past injuries have a habit of coming back to haunt you.

Definitely go officer if you can. I was enlisted in the Marines for 5 years, and the officers have it better in almost every way, except they usually need to kiss a whole lot of *** to get promoted. The pay alone is a ridiculous difference, but quality of life is not even comparable.

If you want quality of life, join the air force or the navy, and if you can't get into the Marines, join the army.....in my eyes there is no choice, the Marine Corps is the best in every way. Say what you want, you know it's true. Otherwise we wouldn't have one. We already have an air force, ground force, and navy. There is no need to have a fourth except the one we have gets **** done like no other. That being said, it's not for everyone. You WILL be treated like a complete piece **** for almost the entirety of your first contract. Be prepared to "suck it up" be that physical pain, or just plain old run of the mill BS that you will have to deal with on a daily basis. You will also have to go through much harder training than the rest of the forces right off the bat. (NOT TALKING ABOUT SPECIAL FORCES HERE, they are a whole different breed and every force has their own fleet of badasses)

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 02-26-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

i got a few good friends who are there right now and ya things are starting to get pretty bad right now. they are comparing it to fallujah
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

If you have back issues I would make sure you can be pain free during exercise for sure. Not sure about other branches but we (Air Force) are about to update out PT test yet again. They are also making it alot harder for people with medical conditions to get a less hard test. Not to mention 2 fails and the commander can boot you out. What job are you thinking abou in the AF? Sorry I didn't read the entire post.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 AM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
If you have back issues I would make sure you can be pain free during exercise for sure. Not sure about other branches but we (Air Force) are about to update out PT test yet again. They are also making it alot harder for people with medical conditions to get a less hard test. Not to mention 2 fails and the commander can boot you out. What job are you thinking abou in the AF? Sorry I didn't read the entire post.
I am not sure what I want to go for. I would like to become an officer since I will have a bachelor's degree in May. Although my degree is in health and PE education I am interested in mathematics, physics, biology, strategy related subjects. Not a big fan of sitting at a desk all day, so field work would be nice. I would be opposed to a lot of overseas work, but would prefer to stay in the states as much as possible. I will likely score well on the AFOQT. I am not very informed on the job opportunities. They make them all sound amazing with the big/technical titles (I know they all are not obviously). Any thoughts from experience on which are seen as "good" jobs. Or ones that may interest me based on my interests/strengths listed above.

I do not foresee any real issues exercise wise. I work a construction jobs most summers, lift regularly, and have started running. I don't know if this info means much in the way of training in the Air Force, but it may give you an idea of my level of fitness...I am about 5'9" 155lbs benching 250 (can do 75 to 100 push-ups in a set) and can run the mile right around 6min.

Quick Reply: Military question (since it seems many of you are in now or were before)