4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So new dilemma...

Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Default So new dilemma...

Ok, new rear tires are soon to be installed. Im getting Toyo R888's for the rear for now and over the summer they are getting put on the front as well. But for now the front tires i have will suffice. But now that that dilemma is out of the way, I have a list of mods that I need help sorting out that will start when my tax rebate check comes in. And as of now im getting subframe connectors installed this week which are already paid for. So the list goes...

1. MM XD LCA's
2. Koni Yellows all around(only $528 right now!!!)
3. MM 4 bolt CC plates
4. Front coilovers
5. Light Bar

After I get all of these things, Im looking at, but not sure about, the following...

1. MHS stage 3 cams with new valve springs and intake valves(install done by mechanic friend(
2. Longtubes
3. Clutch(not needed yet but just feel like i need better than stock)
4. TB/Plenum from dragon, edelbrock intake along with new intake to accomodate new TB(ask me why...and i want to do this if/after i do the cams)

Not all this stuff, but some of it I want done before I depart for Mustang Week at the end of July. I have a full time job over the summer and im looking to get another part time job to afford more mods, and I am giving up all aspects of what resemble a social life in lieu of this daunting list. The majority of the stuff I want to get done before mustang week is the stuff listed in the first list, and I am planning on doing most of the install myself with assistance from my mechanic friends.

I was figuring start with the LCA's and then hopefully within a couple weeks getting the Koni's that way when i start working over the summer i can get the coilovers and CC plates knocked out within the first 2-3 weeks after summer starts and then possibly move onto rear coilovers if i feel so inclined. The light bar is just something that i wanted to get for the car for visual reasons cus convertibles just look **** with light bars. lol or i might look into an actual roll bar. After the first list is done, i'm going to start looking into the second list.

The way i see it going with the second list is first do the cams/springs/valves and then move onto the intake side of things and last do the exhaust. And by the time all that stuff is done im pretty sure that im going to need a clutch, hence the reason why i threw that into the list. Longtubes just dont really seem like too big of a deal right now because install is a PITA for install and they dont seem like they are worth it right now which is why they are down so far on the list.

My summer is going to suck until Mustang Week pretty much, but I will tell you this. For me it is so worth it to do stuff to my car. Back in the fall my car was a pain in the butt for the longest time trying to get stuff lined up with moon lighters to paint the front clip. After that was all said and done, I kinda lost interest in my car for a while. Didnt buy anything. Then I needed tires for inspection and i bought new wheels and boy just saving and seeing the benefit of the new wheels just made me fall in love with the car all over again. So the mod bug strikes again.

Another idea, just to throw something else in there to appeal to the general population that i know are going to chime in, some MHS blower cams and a procharger/vortech might be in the runnings as well to go into the second list...but we shall see.

Sorry for the long a$$ post guys, but I just need some help coping with the mod bug...never been bitten this hard really and I want to do it right. Tried to separate the bulk of the post so its not so hard to read.

Teej

Last edited by teej281; 02-27-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You need cliffs for that long of post.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

lol... and here i thought i had the mod bug pretty bad. Sounds like a good list though.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:09 PM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

Long a$$ post haha. I like the first list of suspension goodies + light bar. Pretty easy install and you should have all this stuff done way before the end of July. As for the second list i really liked the Blower cams and vortech/procharger idea...DO IIITTT!. More money, but worth it. Like you said your probably going to be working to jobs over the summer. If tuition and other expenses don't get in the way then why not, ya know. Whatever you do just take your time.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Right now i have all my loans deferred until after graduation, so thats a plus. Im able to do that because im going to school to be a Physical Therapist so more than likely i'll have a decent amount of that paid for if i sign with a health care institution or hospital. So all that aside, I pay my car insurance annually, so i dont have the payment every month, and I own the car scott free so all the money goes into mods(with the slight bit i pull out every paycheck to put aside for insurance). Oh, i should also add that im hoping to build the rear as well, as i dont know how stressful auto-x is on the axles and diff, plus while at Mustang Week, im hoping to hit up the drag strip night...so i dont wanna break an axle while 10 hours away from home with no other means of transportation home. So im trying to rule out anything that i think could break before it actually does so it doesnt happen far away from home...which means maybe i should look for/rebuild my tranny too before i go. The list continues to grow almost exponentially at time. lol
Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Im racing you at stang week! lol sounds like a good list, although im more of a power junkie and would be doing those lists with the cams first.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Personally other than the few suspension mods you have planned, I'd save up for a S/C!
Even with stage 3 cams (which I don't think are gonna fit without a piston notch) you are gonna want more power in the end.
In your situation an S/C is gonna be your best option!!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Werd^

GET A LIGHTBAR! All verts should have one. Then, save for boost for sure. I cant buy **** for anything.. I got laid off AGAIN lol. Im def out of the industry I was in.. it was good pay but research work is unstable as hell!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Werd^

GET A LIGHTBAR! All verts should have one. Then, save for boost for sure. I cant buy **** for anything.. I got laid off AGAIN lol. Im def out of the industry I was in.. it was good pay but research work is unstable as hell!

sorry to hear that mang, +1 on the lightbar
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The light bar is definitely getting done before mustang week. and boduke, i'll race ya. You'll beat me by about a second if not more...but we'll have fun none the less. I just found out tonight that i might have a second full time job over the summer...so that might just allow for a lot of the list to get done. Might even be able to swing what i really would love...a single turbo kit from Hellion. Hopefully the first list will be done before summer and then when summer starts, start the saving for the big stuff. I might even try to swing for some of the other handling stuff that i want. I mean having the power would be awesome...but right now i really hate how my car handles. I drive my dad's miata and think how much i detest the stang and its handling. So im trying to get that worked out right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So new dilemma...