4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

$200 CAI...i don't think so! DIY help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

if you have extra materials to try it why wouldn't you. I tried installing a homemade ram air system out metal air ducting and it worked fine. Maybe a hp or 2 max, but i had to remove my fogs, and it wasn't worth it IMO. If you have extra PCV piping try it, if it looks like **** put the stock one back in. Also test before and after temps at operating temperature. To make sure things are working fine. (a WB would be nice to test for leaks after MAF too)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
if you have extra materials to try it why wouldn't you. I tried installing a homemade ram air system out metal air ducting and it worked fine. Maybe a hp or 2 max, but i had to remove my fogs, and it wasn't worth it IMO. If you have extra PCV piping try it, if it looks like **** put the stock one back in. Also test before and after temps at operating temperature. To make sure things are working fine. (a WB would be nice to test for leaks after MAF too)
...technically there is no "ram air" it doesnt exist...CliffyK had a link to a writeup explaining it. but if you have no mechnical background it may be a little foggy to understand.

but all the CAI setups and what not wont have a big enough effect on performance that would be worth spending the couple hundred on a setup especially on stock N/A cars (not saying yours is stangalator)

EDIT: a "ram air" would be functional in terms of supplying the filter (in the engine bay) cooler air just from driving it, but thats about it

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Cliffy has explained this many times, the one guy said something about corners and airflow and whatnot it has something to do with that, the stock intake is not just a rubber piece, it is pretty well designed esp for a stock piece. Do yourself a favor and either pick up a JLT piece or leave it alone. Its a car man you get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

So if you are going for looks by getting a CAI (since obviously no one who reads these forums could believe its worth it performance wise) would an ebay one be ok? I would hate to spend money on a cheap kit for looks to have engine codes and errors....
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I think ebay kits look like **** lol. The only ones that look decent to me are plastic based.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
So if you are going for looks by getting a CAI (since obviously no one who reads these forums could believe its worth it performance wise) would an ebay one be ok? I would hate to spend money on a cheap kit for looks to have engine codes and errors....
I'd never put something on my car that would hurt performance, even if it is a little, most ebay ones are not comprable to stock, esp the metal ones, they heatsoak. Also if you ask me Ebay ones look like **** lol spring for the JLT if you really want one, i think they still do color matching.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

i havent looked at any for my car yet, since im hoping to get a cat back and lowering springs next, but this thread made me wonder. ill look into the jlt one. i just wanted to make sure the ebay ones wouldnt hurt performance. i usually like the way k and n kits look - but i know theyre expensive. and yeah, i would get one just to make the bay look a little nicer. i dont really like how the stock one looks!

thanks guys
Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i don't want a polished one...i want it painted, so i think some pvc will do fine...and yea i mean if i don't like it, i'll just change it back. Its no big deal.

GOIN FOR LOOKS NOT PERFORMANCE!!! lol
Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bopiela
i havent looked at any for my car yet, since im hoping to get a cat back and lowering springs next, but this thread made me wonder. ill look into the jlt one. i just wanted to make sure the ebay ones wouldnt hurt performance. i usually like the way k and n kits look - but i know theyre expensive. and yeah, i would get one just to make the bay look a little nicer. i dont really like how the stock one looks!

thanks guys
good plans didn't see ur mods after lowering springs and exhaust go gears if you don't have them already.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea im lookin into gears this spring, some 3.73s hopefully.

Quick Reply: $200 CAI...i don't think so! DIY help please