4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What's the consensus on buying used gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

This is all good to hear. FRPP i assume?

I know that its all in the install with gear whine and such, but i hear that FRPP are easier to set up since you dont have to measure backspacing or something like you would with motives or richmond. You just have to measure backlash of course.

Are there any downsides to buying used gears? I dont see how there can be if the LOOK to be in good shape... You just have to make sure there are wear marks in the middle of each gear tread right?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

All gear install is the same. Doesn't matter if it is Motive, FRPP or Richmond.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
All gear install is the same. Doesn't matter if it is Motive, FRPP or Richmond.
Are you 100% on that? I have read on several accounts that the FRPP are easier to install for a reason similar to the one i stated a couple posts up...

The FRPP are easier to install do to the MHD design or something. I forget what that stands for but maybe somebody else knows...

EDIT: This is what i got from another forum.. Idk how true it is...

"Most shops that do gears often will charge you less for the Ford brand because they do not have to measure the backspacing depth since Ford's MHD design. All Ford gears use the same backspacing hence the name Master housing demision or MHD. So they can be done quicker with less tools. I have had two sets of gears put in my 02 and both the Richmond and Ford slipped right in with minimal shim adjusting. 3.90 is a nice ratio tall but not too tall."

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 02-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Are you 100% on that? I have read on several accounts that the FRPP are easier to install for a reason similar to the one i stated a couple posts up...

The FRPP are easier to install do to the MHD design or something. I forget what that stands for but maybe somebody else knows...

"Most shops that do gears often will charge you less for the Ford brand because they do not have to measure the backspacing depth since Ford's MHD design. All Ford gears use the same backspacing hence the name Master housing demision or MHD. So they can be done quicker with less tools. I have had two sets of gears put in my 02 and both the Richmond and Ford slipped right in with minimal shim adjusting. 3.90 is a nice ratio tall but not too tall."
I'm not entirely sure what they are talking about "backspacing" but I'm guessing they mean pinion gear depth. This is a very important measurement and will vary from car to car and the stock pinion gear and shim WILL NOT be the same as aftermarket gears.

I'm not sure where your source has gotten his info, but no matter which brand of gear I went with, I would approach the install exactly the same and with the same amount of tools.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

i have heard about this and i ended up using the same shim when i did my install. i measured the pinion head thickness with a micrometer of both pinions and they happened to be the same, you just want to double check just be sure because if they arent they wont wear properly....i have 6 gear installs on mustangs already and not one of them had any noise related to gears of install, one had a bad pinion bearing which was easily replaced and the noise disappeared...installing gears isnt a hard job its just alot of stuff that has to be precise. all my installs i set the backlash on the tighter side, with the 4.10s i did i made it .006 because even at .008 it made a clanking/clunk sound when starting in 1st and resetting it tighter made it go away with no whine or anything, the wear on all the installs were perfect as well...if you have any questions on an install PM me or fizzicsboy on here because we both do the installs together flawlessly
Old 02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

i was thinking same thing recently but if you aren't doing install yourself some shops won't install used gears. If you find a shop that does and they make noise after install you could potentially run into an issue with installer: noise is from used gears.

I would buy new it is not much more and don't have to run into scenario I mentioned above.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220

I have heard the same thing FRPP are easier to install but should not make not difference to an experience installer. Just ask local shops if they have a preference.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Well to say you don't have to measure the pinion depth IMO is not smart. I would always measure it just to make sure.

Cisurfer, interesting that you found the .006" backlash better than the recommended range of .008-.012" on that gear set. Have you always set them to ~.006" or more towards .008"? When you installed that set at .006" were the teeth lining up right at the initial .008"?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
i have heard about this and i ended up using the same shim when i did my install. i measured the pinion head thickness with a micrometer of both pinions and they happened to be the same, you just want to double check just be sure because if they arent they wont wear properly....i have 6 gear installs on mustangs already and not one of them had any noise related to gears of install, one had a bad pinion bearing which was easily replaced and the noise disappeared...installing gears isnt a hard job its just alot of stuff that has to be precise. all my installs i set the backlash on the tighter side, with the 4.10s i did i made it .006 because even at .008 it made a clanking/clunk sound when starting in 1st and resetting it tighter made it go away with no whine or anything, the wear on all the installs were perfect as well...if you have any questions on an install PM me or fizzicsboy on here because we both do the installs together flawlessly
Sounds like you are the guy i want to get the used gears from.. It's just my luck that i want 3.73's and you just happen to be selling them

Just out of curiousity, how much do u and fizzicsboy charge to install?

And which gear oil/friction modifier do u recommend/use?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:16 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

i would just get new gears if you do get the used ones and they break or make noise or something like that then you lose the 70 bucks you spent AND then have to pay for the new ones to be installed again and that can be pricey.

Quick Reply: What's the consensus on buying used gears?