4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Getting serious abotu buying wheels/springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Default Getting serious abotu buying wheels/springs

I am on the tightest budget possible and realistically have like $1300 to work with overall. That includes wheels, tires, springs, and install of springs and mount and balance if needed.

I am torn between doing 18's or 17's in either silver or chrome FR500's. Here my dilemma(s):

OEWHeelsll.com offers a chrome set of 18" FR's w/Nexen tires for $1059 and I think its like $80 to ship.

They also offer the same set but silver for $859.

Now, my problem here is that I want to run a much wider rear, a minimum of $285.

I also am aware that I can build my own set through them so I will have to see tomorrow what I can do.

I will not be doing any drag racing on these tires, but a lot of commuting and a couple out in the country pull/cornering on nice sunny days off.

If between Nittos, Summitomos, and any other brand on my price range, which tires would you all go with?

What I like about 17's is that tires are so much cheaper, but I absolutely love the look of a "bigger" wheel on these Mustangs. I know in my heart what to do, but I want to see what you guys would like to see me do.

This is a lot of money so I want to make sure I am spending it right. I am going with the Pro kit because I will not have to change the stock shocks/struts or add CC plates. Do you all think I will be good for like 15k with the Pro Kit and the factory shocks/struts?

Sean
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well if money is tight then go 17's. i got my black and chrome FR500's (17x9 17x10.5) from american muscle for $1024 with free mounting/balancing/shipping with sumitomo tires. im like you, i wont be a drag nut and enjoy the occasional "spirited driving" so i dont have a need for Nitto's or any high end tire.

look into cutting your stock springs...maybe 1 coild. if im not mistaken they are a linerar spring and not progressive so it can be done. maybe a 1.25" via cut springs would give you the look you want and have no need for CC plates or an alignment.

mine with about 1.25" lower and above mentioned rims (i have some kind of yellow springs but do not know exact lowering amount for you, i couldnt find a brand on them)

Old 03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I would stick with 17's if you are on a budget... I really dont even mind my 17's. I would rather have got some 18" saleens or something, but the 17's with the 10.5 fill that rear end NICELY.. Plus tires are MUCH cheaper.

IMO, with the right drop, a 17" wheel can still look really damn good. Maybe not as good as an 18" with the right drop, but i think you'll be fine with 17's being that you are on a budget...
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I would stick with 17's if you are on a budget... I really dont even mind my 17's. I would rather have got some 18" saleens or something, but the 17's with the 10.5 fill that rear end NICELY.. Plus tires are MUCH cheaper.

IMO, with the right drop, a 17" wheel can still look really damn good. Maybe not as good as an 18" with the right drop, but i think you'll be fine with 17's being that you are on a budget...
I think you're trying to say, 17's with H&R SS springs.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

haha yeah i think so. Or some C/O's
Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

I dont have the money for coil overs and I dont have the coin to drop on CC plates and shocks/ struts. Also, I really did like the way my Pro Kit rode on my '98 GT. I knows it's not exactly the look im after, but it will be a lot better then stock and save me a lot of money.

Im not exactly sure if I am going to pull the trigger right now just because o fthe fact that my fiance would probably hang me from a tree somewhere in the forest haha. Kidding. She would be mad I think though.

The set I think I would get is the 17" Silver FR500's from 50resto.com. Justin is a cool guy and the kit would run me like $970 shipped to my front door. 229.95 for the Pro Kit through them as well. Not a bad deal.

But this brings me to my next topic of discusion: they are including the set with 275's up front. I was after the skinny look of front. I will be fine running that size up fron, but only if they DO NOT stick out of the fender. I simply cant have that. If it's flush or slightly tucked inside it, we're all gravy.

Does anyone have any pictures of running a 275 of front on a 9" rim?

Justin from 50resto told me on the phone today that he got around 20k miles on his Sumi's. I drive pretty conservatively so do you think thats a good guesstimate for mileage out of these things.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I was in the same boat as you. I was asking for so many pictures of 9" wheels on our cars before i ordered my wheels/tires. For some reason, they all "looked" to be sticking out past the fender, but that's just because the pictures i saw didn't have the right drop so it just appeared to be like that. 9" wheels will be flush with your fender. In reality, if you drop your car all the way to the ground, the 9" wheels will be inside the fender slightly... That's how cobra562's car is. His car is slammed with the termi stockers and his wheels are tucked inside the lip of the fender. It's a nice stance. So that's my proof. Along with other pics i have seen.

I ended up going with 17x10.5's out back and getting the 8's for up front. My reason was that i was nervous about the fitment of the 9" wheel/tire from all the pics i was getting. They all seemed like they were sticking past the fender. And also, i went with the 8" bc i transfered my tires on my stock bullitts to the ones on my black bullitts. So i saved myself a nice chunk of change(something like $300 since i didnt have to buy fatter tires for the front to make a 9" wheel look great ). I love the stance though. From the front, its nastyyy. From the rear, i wish i had saleens lol.

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 03-03-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, well I dont think they make 8" FR500's. ANyone have pics if 9" wheels up front with 275's? Cant find anything on the search.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Everybody runs 275's on 9" wheels. And you're right. You're only choice with fr500's is 9" for up front...

Check out the customer photos on AM
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

wait and save a couple hundo more and get 18's... they are perfect. be patient, you can find used ones for a good price, just search the different forums in the classifides. always wheels for sale on svtperformance.com (market section)

Quick Reply: Getting serious abotu buying wheels/springs