4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake pedal to floor......PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default Brake pedal to floor......PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys last night on my commute home my break pedal went to the floor and I lost all compression in my brake pedal...I haven't checked out the damage yet but what could be the cause of it??
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Broken brake line,hole in brake hose. Look for a wet spot or have a friend push on the brakes while you look for a hole. Make sure there is brake fluid in the Res.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

And wear goggles. Brake fluid in the eye, Yumm.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

well if you had a hole it would go to the floor every time you push the brakes. so if its not then you might have just had a random air bubble in which case i would bleed the whole system or its a warning sign that your master cylinder is about to give.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
Hey guys last night on my commute home my break pedal went to the floor and I lost all compression in my brake pedal...I haven't checked out the damage yet but what could be the cause of it??
Brakes are of course nothing to second guess, as your very life is on the line. By your description, it sounds like you aren't familiar with brakes, so I'd recommend having the car towed to a professional for diagnosis. It would be extremely dangerous and foolish to drive the car in this condition.

Anything in the braking system could have failed for all manner of different reasons, from water in the brake lines, (most people don't seem to understand the need for changing brake fluid about every 2 years in order to prevent the very scenario you described above), to air in the brake lines, a brake fluid leak somewhere in the brake system, a failed master cylinder, etc.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

sounds like a brake line busted.... a lot of times it will destroy the master cylinder when the line pops also....goodluck getting it back on the road
Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Gearhead559
2nd Gear Member

either a brake line blew out, or the master is starting to go....masters will do this when they start to fail internally
Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Ok so after checking it out, my passenger side rear caliper froze and completely f'd up the rotor so I'm replacing the rear pads and rotors and that frozen caliper and bleeding the whole system. I originally thought it was a leak or the master cylinder but haven't noticed any leaks this afternoon.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
Ok so after checking it out, my passenger side rear caliper froze and completely f'd up the rotor so I'm replacing the rear pads and rotors and that frozen caliper and bleeding the whole system. I originally thought it was a leak or the master cylinder but haven't noticed any leaks this afternoon.
You'd be wise to replace both calipers, so you have two calipers functioning at 100% condition, as opposed to one new caliper and a used caliper that might not be, "bad", necessarily, but might not be functioning at 100% new either. Why is this important? Because if one caliper is functioning better than the other caliper, that leads to uneven braking, which in a panic stop could put the car into a spin, or at very least, not straight braking.

The caliper may have likely froze because of corrosion building up inside the brake system due to water present in the brake fluid. Always completely change brake fluid about every 2 years. Ford recommends this too.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i dont understand how a locked caliper made the brake pedal drop to the floor....

Quick Reply: Brake pedal to floor......PLEASE HELP!