4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is It true?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I have one word for those saying that you need to be forged. WHY?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well you need higher than stock compression to reach the power he would want to make so i think forged is going to be the only way you can get that and he is going to need better rods to handle the high rpm that he would have to spin to be making that power and forged/billet is going to be the options that he has to choose from. Or am i missing something here???
Old 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

damn i did forget all about cast parts, theyre alot light so our motor will rev faster. i feel stupid now that i forgot that lol

when i said forged in my last post i assumed he wanted more power ( via supercharger) than the stock shortblock could handle.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I know that many have a goal of a n/a 2v 400 rwhp beast. I don't think anyone has yet achieved that goal. Even with the new heads.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by boduke0220
damn i did forget all about cast parts, theyre alot light so our motor will rev faster. i feel stupid now that i forgot that lol

when i said forged in my last post i assumed he wanted more power ( via supercharger) than the stock shortblock could handle.
This may be true, but the stock rods wont handle the rpm needed to make 400rwhp out of a 2v. Or everyone that says that RPM's are the biggest enemy for our mod motors are liars.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by teej281
This may be true, but the stock rods wont handle the rpm needed to make 400rwhp out of a 2v. Or everyone that says that RPM's are the biggest enemy for our mod motors are liars.
With a s/c, how high do you think you will need to rev it to make 400rwhp? The stock block can hold up just fine and you won't need to rev it to the moon to make 400rwhp.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

As far as forgining is concerned, it's not absolutely necessary, depending on what you're planning to do. As a matter of fact, most supercharger kits developed for a vehicle, considering the engine is good to start, will have no problem being reliable as long as you use the out of the box tune.

That said, forging the internals and building the motor has a few benefits beyond simply handling more power. For one, the stock 'hyper' pistons and cast rods don't like much detonation. Matter of fact, even a littledetonation can cause serious problems, which is likely to happen when variables come into play. An average tune, octane problems at the local gas station, atmoshpheric issues, and and air/fuel in terms of actual mechanical problems beyond the tune may not do much as a part, but many issues as a whole could create problems. Lots of guys used to stay they've been driving a carwith x miles and x amount of boost with x horsepower without problems and so did I...but it only took one time of trying to stretch it too far in the wrong conditions I was forced to rebuild.

If he's going to have the motor out anyways and rebuild, might as well do it while you can. But it's important to know which type of supercharger you'll be using as this may alter the direction of your build. This is a very situational and purposeful matter, but you may alter to go lower compression on a roots or twin screw and higher on a centrifugal. Lower compression means the ability to throw more boost with more room for tuning error and possibly more hp safer for very hgih boost numbers, but it would make the car a sluggish dog down low. A roots might be better with lower compression as boost builds fast, but too high CR and you limit yourself in boost and tuning error. for an all out drag car it might be fine, but sometimes safer isbetter than sorry. Just all in the purpose and ability for a good tune.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I will add though, forging is not an end all save all, because as we all know, unsinkable ships still sink. And just because your engine is rated for 1000hp doesnt mean you can take it to that threshold without concern, nor can you guarantee that you'll never have any problems. Its also easy to forget that that power is transferred to other parts (tranny, rear) that might not be as built up as the motor. Furthermore, without supporting mods such as fuel, suspension, brakes, and a good tune your car isnt going anywhere fast reliably and if it does its not gonna stop too well either. It's a mater of reaching the right balance to make power safely in all ways.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
With a s/c, how high do you think you will need to rev it to make 400rwhp? The stock block can hold up just fine and you won't need to rev it to the moon to make 400rwhp.
Originally Posted by dastangman
As far as forgining is concerned, it's not absolutely necessary, depending on what you're planning to do. As a matter of fact, most supercharger kits developed for a vehicle, considering the engine is good to start, will have no problem being reliable as long as you use the out of the box tune.

That said, forging the internals and building the motor has a few benefits beyond simply handling more power. For one, the stock 'hyper' pistons and cast rods don't like much detonation. Matter of fact, even a littledetonation can cause serious problems, which is likely to happen when variables come into play. An average tune, octane problems at the local gas station, atmoshpheric issues, and and air/fuel in terms of actual mechanical problems beyond the tune may not do much as a part, but many issues as a whole could create problems. Lots of guys used to stay they've been driving a carwith x miles and x amount of boost with x horsepower without problems and so did I...but it only took one time of trying to stretch it too far in the wrong conditions I was forced to rebuild.

If he's going to have the motor out anyways and rebuild, might as well do it while you can. But it's important to know which type of supercharger you'll be using as this may alter the direction of your build. This is a very situational and purposeful matter, but you may alter to go lower compression on a roots or twin screw and higher on a centrifugal. Lower compression means the ability to throw more boost with more room for tuning error and possibly more hp safer for very hgih boost numbers, but it would make the car a sluggish dog down low. A roots might be better with lower compression as boost builds fast, but too high CR and you limit yourself in boost and tuning error. for an all out drag car it might be fine, but sometimes safer isbetter than sorry. Just all in the purpose and ability for a good tune.
Originally Posted by dastangman
I will add though, forging is not an end all save all, because as we all know, unsinkable ships still sink. And just because your engine is rated for 1000hp doesnt mean you can take it to that threshold without concern, nor can you guarantee that you'll never have any problems. Its also easy to forget that that power is transferred to other parts (tranny, rear) that might not be as built up as the motor. Furthermore, without supporting mods such as fuel, suspension, brakes, and a good tune your car isnt going anywhere fast reliably and if it does its not gonna stop too well either. It's a mater of reaching the right balance to make power safely in all ways.
WTF? The guy wants NA.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

With that much money trying to build a 2v, just wait to buy the new 5.0 engine to swap it in lol.

Quick Reply: Is It true?