MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   NPI Engine build? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/590232-npi-engine-build.html)

RyanK 03-09-2010 12:37 PM

NPI Engine build?

I need some help getting my parts list together so I can start,
This is what i was thinking

Summit engine rebuild kit
Port and Polish NPI Heads
Stage 2.5 MHS cams
Edlebrock pi Victor jr. intake manifold

and then folt bolt ons, Im trying to build a non pi N/a setup cause I want to be different lol whats the best way to go about this? is my list good, and yes i know there will be more that the engine will need like little gaskets but the main stuff?

98redstang 03-09-2010 01:20 PM

Correct me if im wrong but i believe you need new fuel rails with the edlebrock intake. Im not a 100% sure but i thought i remember seeing that when i was looking to buy an intake. As for the other stuff i think thats a good start to building it. Why are your rebuilding the whole engine? Im just curious.

RyanK 03-09-2010 01:47 PM

cause im tired of getting beat by ricers :icon_confused: never again!

teej281 03-09-2010 03:19 PM

what is the summit engine rebuild kit??? Like a new rotating assembly or what??? I'd look into MMR's rotating assemblies if thats what youre doing.

98redstang 03-09-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RyanK (Post 6866323)
cause im tired of getting beat by ricers :icon_confused: never again!

Get some gears to hld you off haha. Thatll keep the rice at bay for now.

RyanK 03-09-2010 11:51 PM

I was thinking this kit----->http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-205-6382M000/

And once i get my build done, im going to hunt every ricer in my town down and smoke them in ever gear :icon_eddie: ha, I've honestly never been beat by ricer's but I feel my car is really slow now ever since riding in my buddies 99 cobra So I'm doing something about it! It was either build the motor, or fix the body how i want it and I choose motor!

But what I need you guy's to help me with is breaking 300RWhp with a npi setup I want to be one of the only, don't give me the money speech cause I get that you have to pay to play, but I find it more fun to have something that alot of people don't even play with so what would you suggest as in cam/intake combo?

teej281 03-09-2010 11:59 PM

Gotcha, i thought you were actually rebuilding the motor by putting pistons and rods and stuff in. lol my bad.

RyanK 03-10-2010 12:24 AM

should i do rods and pistons would that add any hp cause I know it will bump compression?

MU71L4710N 03-10-2010 03:26 AM

seriously man, why not just do a PI swap with some ported PI heads and cams? i relaly dont know if you'll be able to break 300 with ported NPI heads and cams. stage 2 cams and normal PI heads with full boltons (longtube headers and such) will be a hair over 300rwhp. ported NPI heads i think only flow a little better than stock PI's plus your intake manifold is still gonna suck.

if you do rods and pistons screw doing the heads and cams, put nitrous or a blower on it. how much money are you looking to spend? because after all the work you've already listed, your gonna be thousands of dollars down the hole for a quick car, when it could be faster for cheaper.

teej281 03-10-2010 07:22 AM

The weak point of the NPI motors is not the heads, but the cams and intake, both of which are getting taken care of with what he is doing. He is going edelbrock intake which is a pretty good short runner intake manifold, which may very well help him with the addition of the MHS stage 2.5 cams, which in reality is probably going to be better than PI cams because NPI heads have more intake valve clearance which allows for more intake centerline than on the PI heads. All in all, i think that the NPI route is probably better for him right now being on a budget and being that he already has the heads on his car. But honestly if the OP was concerned with the most power for the dollar, he should do the cams and intake and just put a blower on the car and forget about it. but i think he wants n/a power.

98redstang 03-10-2010 07:23 AM

+1 for the ported pi swap. My tune sucked thats the only reason im at the rwhp mark im at. When they tuned my car the rear brakes were dragging. The jacka$$ that built the motor didnt put the pilot bearing in either so once you got up to around 4500rpms it would shake like crazy and you wouldnt be able to go any higher(it also cost me 1000 bucks for a new tranny which he ended up paying for). And he didnt even touch my timing. So with a good 93 tune people were saying i should be around 315rwhp with my mods. Just a thought... But i also see what teej is saying so i would say whatever would be the cheapest route if your on a budget op.

RyanK 03-10-2010 11:23 AM

Well Yes I am on a budget, But from all my reading everyone said swapping the pi heads is a waste that the intake and cams are what is holding me back, so Im going with either 2.5 or 3 mhs cams, the edlebrock intake full bolt ons head p&p and mainly I want a thread for people that are thinking about going npi can see what the numbers look like because not alot of people go non pi? And worst it doesnt create very much power ill take the heads off buy the pi heads P&P call it done.

Can i use mhs pi cams? or should I go with there npi cams? I cant wait to start ordering stuff just need to get my list down to exactly what I want im excited(:

teej281 03-10-2010 12:22 PM

You can use PI cams if im not mistaken, its just the intake centerline will be less than what you could run due to the PI heads having more PTV issues than the NPI's. So you could go with some reasonable PI cams and then if you switch to PI heads, get your pistons notched or your valves will be getting to know your pistons more than they should...and we'll just say that the relationship will be very abusive.

RyanK 03-10-2010 12:38 PM

so could i only run sock pi cams or some from mhs ?

98redstang 03-10-2010 04:14 PM

you can run the mhs cams. Hes saying hes pretty sure you can run pi style cams in general wether it be stock or custom. Just when/or if you switch to a pi head than you need to notch your pistons or valves cause you'll run into ptv clearance issues. Your fine with the npi heads i believe cause you have more ptv clearance.

nickmckinney 03-10-2010 04:28 PM

You need more cam and compression. Get a set of 4V -3cc replacement pistons.

Here is a video of a NPI car with MHS Stage 3.5 cams and Edelbrock intake short shifting at only 6000 because he hasn't retuned it for the new cams yet:

NPI happiness

RyanK 03-10-2010 07:15 PM

so how much cam should i go with a 3.5 or a 4? and where would i find those pistons does it matter if there used or new?

nickmckinney 03-10-2010 07:40 PM

That guy is using a stock used Mark VIII bottom end with upgraded rods. I have built many NA motors reusing the stock 4V pistons. All depends on what kind of shape they are in, they usually hold up really good in the Mark cars.

nickmckinney 03-10-2010 07:42 PM

cam choice depends on RPM range, with the Edelbrock and Stage 3.5 cams you should be shifting around 7000 or so.

RyanK 03-10-2010 07:43 PM

would cobra pistons work? or does it need to be the mark?

nickmckinney 03-10-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by RyanK (Post 6869276)
would cobra pistons work? or does it need to be the mark?

96-98 Cobra pistons were the same as the Mark VIII. The 99+ 4V pistons are the second choice as they have a thinner top ring land, but they are still fine to use. I prefer the 96-98 4V pistons with the coated skirts if you can find them.

RyanK 03-10-2010 08:11 PM

k thanks, should i just re use stock rods or no?