4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Someone convince me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

With cobras its kinda hit or miss based on the tires that youre running. If you have reasonably sticky tires, youre going to get more hop because the rubber bushings cause a jump between traction and spinning, which is what is known as wheel hop. My friend was running somewhat crappy kuhmo tires and he didnt have wheel spin...because he did nothing but spin. So bushing upgrade will help dissipate the wheel hop issues, if i would even have any. And help it handle better at the same time.

And Jazzer does not have an IRS. He has an SRA with a TA and PHB i think. But the problem im running into is the install costs of the torque arm and watts link, LCA's and stuff would all(from what ive read)cost about $2k for install. The install for the IRS is free and all i gotta do is buy the bushing kit and do that as me and my friend are installing it. Then just do the coilover conversion and adjustable tie rod ends and brace and i'll be done. The IRS is going to be cheaper for me in the long run than building the SRA...because the Cobra IRS will handle more power than a stock SRA...cus i have yet to upgrade the axles and such. So its all around better for me I think.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Good bushings and front and rear braces for the pumpkin and you will be happy happy with it, I love mine enough that I bought plenty of replacement arms/uprights/axles dirt cheap off Ebay when people part them out.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Haha nick, you willing to part with some of those replacement parts in case i need some??? Ive never seen the front diff brace. Can you link to some of the better ones for the Cobra IRS??? Anything done to yours other than those braces and the bushings??? And what bushings did you go with???
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

You got quoted $2000 to install a Torque Arm and Panhard bar? That is ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Haha nick, you willing to part with some of those replacement parts in case i need some??? Ive never seen the front diff brace. Can you link to some of the better ones for the Cobra IRS??? Anything done to yours other than those braces and the bushings??? And what bushings did you go with???

Either Tbird or Factory Five Cobra Replica guys will buy the IRS for the pumpkin and brakes and part out the rest as the other parts won't fit their cars. Maximum Motorsports has most of the parts you need, and Steeda used to sell braces. I don't know who did the bushings and braces on mine as I bought everything used. You should get the aftermarket front and rear diff braces for sure. I have a set of poly bushings in one set of arms, delrin in another, and stock in another................
Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Haha nice. Im going with the Delrin. and jmac, ive been reading people getting those install price quotes.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

where to start.....haha

its hard to make a car good at the drag strip and track

as far as bushings thats a hit or miss..ive read where it has helped and hasent (deff. a wise move thow). id suggest you get a IRS brace so your pumpkin dosent blow apart. problem with IRS is they are very expensive if it breaks or to upgrade. to fully build expect $2+ g's. i did miss the IRS on the street was extremely smooth ride compared to the solid.

one of the best cures for wheel hop is a sticky tire...if the wheel hooks then there is no hop. wheel spin is one of the major factors in breaking halfshafts or rear.

not talkin you out of it i miss it for cruising. dont forget there are 8 sec. supras running IRS just very expensive
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by teej281
Haha nice. Im going with the Delrin. and jmac, ive been reading people getting those install price quotes.
For $2000 it better include all the parts. No shop around here would charge that. That would be almost 28.5 hours of labor at $70/hour.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

When I did my IRS swap I put in 4.30's and I love them but I think it might be to much gear for an AutoX. I only made one AutoX last year and maybe I needed a little more seat time with them but I liked my 4.10's that I had in my SRA at an AutoX. I found that I was going into 3rd on the course I don't like bouncing off the Rev limiter so maybe I could have been OK but I doubt it
I also made 1 open track event and I ended up going into 5th on the straightaway because I had the 4.30's. Again the 4.10's probably would have been better for me
I do love the 4.30's but they only really help me when I go to the Drag strip and I have more fun in the twists
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ok, so i think 4.30's are out for now. So that takes me down to anywhere from 3.73's to 4.10's with 3.90's in between. And jmac, thats just what i've heard. And im really feeling the IRS will be better for me because i want the ride quality that it offers and is an upgrade still in my mind and then when i add coilovers, it should do even better handling and ride wise, right? Probably a little less harsh than the ride with the ta/phb or is that ride pretty good too?

Quick Reply: Someone convince me