4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Someone convince me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Default Someone convince me

Ok, first off I'm going to be buying an 03 cobra IRS that is bone stock. Im already planning on doing the Delrin bushing kit from full tilt boogie racing(the one everyone raves about on SVTP) to fix a lot of the wheel hop and for the added handling. That is 100% for sure going to happen when the IRS is getting swapped in. Now, i run into my dilemma. The IRS has the stock 3.55's in it. Im not going to leave those in there obviously because the current SRA in my car i put 4.10's in it and I love the feeling gears give. Now here is what i need you all to pushing me one direction or the other...should i go 3.73's, 3.90's, 4.10's, or 4.30's??? The rear tires that im going to be running are more than likely going to either be 305 35 18's or 315 30 18's, so the gearing might be affected slightly by the tires that im going to run. What would you all suggest for me to do? And this car is going to be auto-x'd and probably see some open track time when time and funds are available. Oh, and depending on how summer goes, i may be in the market for some more performance mods like a supercharger or h/c/i or other performance goodies. So im kinda at a quandry and need some help planning for the future.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Are you strictly choosing the gears for autox and open track? Or are you concerned with hwy rpms?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

question... why is this swap a priority? isnt this just a DD?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Im somewhat concerned with highway rpm, which is why i capped my choices at 4.30's. This is going to be my DD but will see track time and auto-x. I was thinking about rebuilding the transmission in the car this summer with stuff from Promotion and i thought about going with 3.73's and a .82 5th gear ratio or 3.55's but i just dont know.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dteal, have you ever riden in an IRS cobra??? They ride better than an SRA and handle better in stock form. The IRS gives the best streetability in reference to ride comfort and handling in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Dteal, have you ever riden in an IRS cobra??? They ride better than an SRA and handle better in stock form. The IRS gives the best streetability in reference to ride comfort and handling in my opinion.
i test drove a stock one and i was annoyed with thw wheel hop lol... but I get where you are going with this. i was just curious, not knockin your idea my man... road racing > drag racing, and its not even close
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, the wheel hop sucks...which is why the first mod is going to be the IRS Delrin bushing kit. That will get rid of the wheel hop and help in the twisties. Then the only other mod im going to do to it is get the adjustable tie rod end kit, coilovers, and the IRS brace and i'll be done with the rear...for now. Once i make power i may end up having to buy new half shafts, but til that day comes, im putting it off. But first i want to get it in there with the new delrin bushings and stock location springs and i'll be set for the rear for a while. I figure that the IRS will handle better with just the bushings and coilovers than the SRA with coilovers, LCA's, and new Ford uppers...because thats all i was going to be able to afford for a while since the TA/PHB install is quite costly and the install of the IRS is going to be free cus im buying it from a mechanic friend and he said he would do the swap, with my help, for free.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Does jazzer have an IRS? I would just stick with the SRA and build it.. But than again, i don't really know much... I'm sure you can make a SRA just as good. No?

Unless of course this IRS is selling for an extremely low price. I would put money into a TA, PH bar, and/or WL. and some Coil Overs. etc...

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 03-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Wheel hop is not as bad as everyone makes it seem, especially at such a lower power level. Before I added the bushings and IRS brace I had very minimal if any wheel hop at all when I was stock. Now at my current power level and the brace/bushings I haven't experience wheel hop in awhile.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Wheel hop is not as bad as everyone makes it seem, especially at such a lower power level. Before I added the bushings and IRS brace I had very minimal if any wheel hop at all when I was stock. Now at my current power level and the brace/bushings I haven't experience wheel hop in awhile.
Some guy took me for a ride in his cobra (exhaust and intake) and that thing wheel hopped all of 1st and all of 2nd... I didn't even get to feel the power of the cobra.. I was pissed..

Quick Reply: Someone convince me