4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Opinions on some visual upgrades I think I want done....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Wifeys03Cobra
1st Gear Member

yeah had a car fax and its all clean lol the first thing i wanted was a car fax because of the mirror. The head lights aren't 99 GT headlights they are after market ones. The 99gt headlights have amber on the sides but no black background. These have No amber corners
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Should have just cut the stock springs...just saying. Better than some clamps you put on. I mean the most shortcut i would go with springs is cutting springs, not putting those clamps on. I mean you have to realize that these cars have a lot higher spring rate than most and they weigh more than a lot of sports cars out there. So one of these days those clamps are going to pop and they are going to cause a lot of damage. And compressing the spring is just going to make the ride rough and make the spring shorter overall and might cause problems whenever your car gets upset on the street. I really dont think that they are a good idea, especially when cutting your stock springs works great for cobras.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

yea thats weird...those clamps don't really sound like a good idea...something about putting unneccesary tension on the spring i dont like, i fear if you hit a pothole the clamp can pop off and shoot the spring up lol...and the mirrors are weird, if you have one gt mirror and one cobra one id replace that gt with a cobra and bring em back to the stock cobra look...agree with tinting lights, and i wouldnt paint those stock rims, replace em and save em. if you are positive that youre not going to want them anymore then sell em to somebody because a lot of people buy those rims, they be listed for sale just a day or two before someone would buy em off of you..
Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

and id add some HID headlights and fogs to that list
Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Wifeys03Cobra
1st Gear Member

The clamps wont break they are heavy duty they use these same clamps on trucks and like i said it improved handling and the ride of the car. its not a permanent thing
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

These spring clamps remind me of something you would find in the ricer section of pep boys or autozone lol. Goodthing you didn't post this over in SVTP, I think them guys would tear you a new one.

What performance do you have done to that car?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Wifeys03Cobra
1st Gear Member

I'm glad i didnt post it there..... i feel like im getting a new one ripped here lol i feel like going home and taking them off now..... how hard is it to cut springs? i didnt do that cause i dont want to mess us my stock ones..... performance wise i dont have much.... smaller pulley, exhaust, and air cone which all came on the car from the dealer i bought it from. I havent done any performace upgrades yet.......still trying to recover from the hole this car left in my pocket lol..........but it was worth every penny
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i think having those clamps on the stock springs would damage them due to the high tension, they are constatly being squeezed together, that cant be a good thing...i think you may as well cut the stock springs at that point lol
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wifeys03Cobra
I'm glad i didnt post it there..... i feel like im getting a new one ripped here lol i feel like going home and taking them off now..... how hard is it to cut springs? i didnt do that cause i dont want to mess us my stock ones..... performance wise i dont have much.... smaller pulley, exhaust, and air cone which all came on the car from the dealer i bought it from. I havent done any performace upgrades yet.......still trying to recover from the hole this car left in my pocket lol..........but it was worth every penny
I'm going to be 100% honest and with my experience with modding our cars. Go home and take the clamps off. Leave the stock suspension alone and save up for some H&R or Eibach Springs. Also when you do the springs buy some MM Caster/Camber plates, then take it to get aligned as soon as your done lowering it. Do not cheap out on our cars. Do it the right way. Here is how my car sits with H&R Sport Springs, Stock ISO in. I also have the MM CC plates.

Now you said you have a smaller pulley on there. What size? And also please tell me you have a dyno tune with that smaller pulley. What is your air/fuel sitting at right now? If you do not have a tune to go with that smaller pulley I would stay out of boost unless you want to blow that motor up and then you will be really spending money to get it fixed. I don't want to come off as an @ss so please do not take this the wrong way, but I think you need to do some much need research on these cars and learn some more.

Last edited by Mustang3GT07; 03-11-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Wifeys03Cobra
1st Gear Member

So i have heard.............. and will probably due now............

Quick Reply: Opinions on some visual upgrades I think I want done....