4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

This for this......whadya think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

ill tell you the same thing i told my cousin. I went with him to look at a rebuilt title mustang. I said be extremely picky, test everything, if a window doesnt roll down from one switch but does from another dont take it, if all the lights dont work dont take it, if ac or defrost or fan... basically if anything doesnt work dont touch it, reason being ive heard horror storys from cars with lots of body work mainly that many eletrical problems can come from it. Anyway the last advice i can give you is think about this. If you had a car that was worth 20,000 the cost of damage to that car to have it totaled has to be 10,000 or more. then to buy that car back from the insurance company. you could be looking at 2,000-5,000 bucks. So heres the problem If someone says they professionally fixed a totaled car your looking at cost of the car to buy back from insurance company, we will say 2,000 just for arguments sake, plus the cost of professionally rebuilding it. 10,000, your now into a car for 12k and from what ive seen a salvage car gets maybe half what it was worth before hand which means he might ask 10k. seem off? when i checked out that car with my cousin the work was shoddy not professional. Unless the guy does it himself and happens to be a pro its probebly a backyard fix who knows how bad it really is which means they are looking to make a quick buck. and resale on rebuilt cars is crap they take forever to sell. The only way id say it was worth it is if you had a friend with a car you knew how it was treated, he crashed it, and you bought it back from the insurance company and paid to have it fixed by a pro, because then you have that 12k into a car that you know the history of, including the fix, and at that point its a 20k car for 12k. other than that no way for me.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

I do get your point^^^ After thinking about it i'm glad that it sold because going through and checking that car would have been a PITA. So i will def look elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Deffinately look at Mach 1's man. Atleast test drive one to see how you like it compared to the Cobras.
haha, i don't wanna look at a mach 1 or test drive it..........because if i do, i will freaking want one so bad that i'll sell my car and a nut for it!