4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dealership trade-in value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I'll give you 6500 for it
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Depending on what you buy they can make the trade-in number whatever they think will get you to sign...

There are three types of car buyers, listed here in descending order of how much dealers like to see them coming in:
  1. The Monthly Payment Buyer: This one does not care about anything except the monthly payment. They can sell the car at 10% over MSRP; tack on every sort of warranty, fabric treatment, undercoating, paint protection, you name it--and then set up a 72 month loan with a payment only $50 to $100 a month more then the poor schmuck wanted to pay.
  2. The Trade-n Buyer: This guy only cares about how much his trade-in is worth. They can mark the car price up to 10% to 15% (or more) over MSRP, and then add the other crap listed above at 200% or more of their cost--and make the trade-in allowance look like the best deal ever offered.
  3. The Bottomline Buyer: They hate these guys. A buyer who has done their homework, knows what the new car is really worth, and what the trade-in is worth--and maybe worse; has cash or pre-arranged financing, wants the very best deal there is, and is prepared to walk if the deal doesn't fit.
Number 3 is a car salesman's worst nightmare, it is also what you want to be to not get screwed...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:42 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Car dealers are not the devil, they have a job to fulfill just like everyone else. Only reason the consumer doesn't like them is because the consumer doesn't know how to make a good deal. If you were to try and sell something on ebay. wouldn't you want to get the best price?? Just sayin

But back on topic. Trade in is always ****, selling it yourself isn't the easiest but it is the most rewarding. If you were to sell it yourself, i'd think you could get 7-8
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Realistically: $4000ish. Depends on soooooo many things.....take it to a Ford dealer, add 500. Honda? Subtract 500. You live in FL so add 500. If you were in the snowbelt, subtract 500-1000. Color +/- 500. Do they have 147 similar car on the lot? Ouch. Most dealers will have no intention to do the recon on a 7 year old modded muscle car that they believe will spend a ****load of time parked in the service drive....

7 years of car sales experience talkin' here....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

i just brought my new edge to a dealer 2 months ago, they offered me $5K.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Depending on what you buy they can make the trade-in number whatever they think will get you to sign...

There are three types of car buyers, listed here in descending order of how much dealers like to see them coming in:
  1. The Monthly Payment Buyer: This one does not care about anything except the monthly payment. They can sell the car at 10% over MSRP; tack on every sort of warranty, fabric treatment, undercoating, paint protection, you name it--and then set up a 72 month loan with a payment only $50 to $100 a month more then the poor schmuck wanted to pay.
  2. The Trade-n Buyer: This guy only cares about how much his trade-in is worth. They can mark the car price up to 10% to 15% (or more) over MSRP, and then add the other crap listed above at 200% or more of their cost--and make the trade-in allowance look like the best deal ever offered.
  3. The Bottomline Buyer: They hate these guys. A buyer who has done their homework, knows what the new car is really worth, and what the trade-in is worth--and maybe worse; has cash or pre-arranged financing, wants the very best deal there is, and is prepared to walk if the deal doesn't fit.
Number 3 is a car salesman's worst nightmare, it is also what you want to be to not get screwed...
so much misinformation there it is impossible to just mark up a car 10% over MSRP without someone noticing. don't you think you would notice if you were buying a $30,000 car for $33,000? there really aren't any "trade-in" buyers either. most people are bottom-line customers, but we don't "hate them" like you say. it just takes a little longer to explain things to them because they are the people most afraid of buying a car, so they want to make sure they're not getting screwed before they make a decision.

we're not evil people like people think we are.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Ok car dealer guy I have a serious question. I owe 10k on my car, its worth about 4500... What can I do? I have amazing credit, and want to get out of this car and into something else... What can I do?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

you would roll the negative equity into the loan of the new car. a newer car with rebates would be the best thing to help suck up the negative equity, along with some money down. $5,500 flipped isn't the end of the world.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by IRSmart
so much misinformation there it is impossible to just mark up a car 10% over MSRP without someone noticing. don't you think you would notice if you were buying a $30,000 car for $33,000? there really aren't any "trade-in" buyers either. most people are bottom-line customers, but we don't "hate them" like you say. it just takes a little longer to explain things to them because they are the people most afraid of buying a car, so they want to make sure they're not getting screwed before they make a decision.

we're not evil people like people think we are.
What you say makes you a guy I'd deal with, and I have met a few like you over the years--however...

90%+ of my car buying experience over the last 45 years have been among the most frustrating experiences I have ever had--and so similar in the flow (like bringing in the "big guns" when I say no) that they had to be formulaic standard scenarios.

I tell people all the time that "If buying everything was as much hassle as buying a car I would never buy anything, ever again."

This is an excellent book, now in it's 6th or 7th edition I believe, that explains how the conglomerate dealerships will rake you through the coals.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

What you say makes you a guy I'd deal with, and I have met a few like you over the years--however...
first i would like to thank you. i try to operate my business the exact opposite way my customers would expect me to when they walk in. with that said...

This is an excellent book, now in it's 6th or 7th edition I believe, that explains how the conglomerate dealerships will rake you through the coals.
that book is a crock of sh**. the very first thing i read was complete garbage:

Service contracts can cost thousands, too. But guess what an average service contract costs the average dealer in claims? Under $100. The rest of the sales price is pure profit. Let’s see: if a seller charges you $2,000 for a service agreement, that makes the seller’s typical profit $1,900 on the sale of the service contract. Nice
umm....WRONG! service contracts cost us money to report them. they don't cost us under $100, trust me. most of our service contracts cost us multiple of hundreds of dollars, some thousands of dollars, just like the customers pay. is there markup in them? absolutely. is it $1,900 like the example says? if i could get a customer to pay $1,900 over cost on a warranty, i wouldn't be driving a 7 year old car with 101,000 miles on it.

Another reasons that profits on service contracts/extended warranties are high is that coverage is generally limited. For instance, if you read the average policy for a new vehicle carefully, you’ll find a version of this language: “Though we say this is a five-year contract, this policy doesn’t go into effect until your car’s regular warranty expires in three years.” This limitation means you’re in reality paying a fortune for a two-year warranty, not a five-year.
that's why we push warranties on cars with expired warranties on them, not valid ones. this is a very misleading statement.

To give you an example, the seller will sell you a $4,000 car for $4,400 and bank the extra $400 as “insurance” against future repairs. Since the seller has neglected to tell you he’s raised the price, he is covered on both ends. If the car needs repairs, you have paid for them in advance; and if the car doesn’t need repairs, he has an extra $400 profit. So before you even think about a service contract, get a free warranty properly negotiated and agreed to.
crap

the author of the book seems like the kind of person that "knows everything" and finds conspericies where none exist. if that is what the rest of the book is like, i'd hate to read it.

not ripping on you personally, but it is that kind of misinformation that makes my job seem like the devil, when we're just out to make an honest living like everyone else. i'm about the most upfront and honest person you'll ever meet, and i'm not pushy or demanding. hell, i'm posting on a message forum when i'm supposed to be calling and bugging people :lol:

Quick Reply: Dealership trade-in value?