4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bought a mustang: HP Estimate?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Moonshine
That's where I got the number. Pretty much the same mods.
Glad my post stick in your brain haha.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
B1DU5
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm with mrstang, i figured it would be a little higher as well. But what do you guys suggest I have done next? Whats the next good mod that i could do that would give me a decent hp gain? any suggestions? Because I dont think that 212-220 is gonna cut it
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm just curious why you guys are guessing such low numbers? He's pretty much a full bolt ons new edge gt, but without a tune. Stock they commonly run 220-230 rwhp on a Dynojet. With all his bolt ons (even without the tune) he should easily see 15-20 hp.
All that stuff is nice, but without ditching the stock tune they don't do much. My direct observation of five PI 4.6 2V's on a DynoJet has been 209 to 222 rwHP.

My '03, a few days after I got it in 2006 (30k miles AND dead stock), did 220HP/243tq with new plugs, fuel and air filters, oil, and all other fluids changed. With no other changes except a lousy "preset 93 octane" tune from a Granatelli Fuego hand held that got pushed to 236HP/275tq
Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
B1DU5
1st Gear Member

Thanks Cliffyk, thats good to know. Ill see what I can do about getting a tune sometime soon.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

you dont have to get a dyno tune. Just a hand held tuner will do wounders. Look into getting the one from american muscle that comes with free tunes for life. You tell them your mods and they will send you a tune just for your car. it wont be as good as a custom tune but better then just a "93 octane" tune out of the box. and at no extra cost why not.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 AM
B1DU5
1st Gear Member

The tune is a great idea. My only problem with that is how do i know if it has been tuned already? I dont really want to spend a few hundred dollars for something that isn't needed. Is there any way to tell if it has been tuned previously? someone said that when you change your midpipe the check engine light comes on, and you can use a tuner to turn it off. Is that true? because i have a full bassani exhaust with no check engine light...
Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM
B1DU5
1st Gear Member

also it said when you put bigger tires on it, which i have 315's in the rear, and change the gear ratio, itll throw off your speedometer. Im pretty sure mine calibrated right.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by B1DU5
The tune is a great idea. My only problem with that is how do i know if it has been tuned already? I dont really want to spend a few hundred dollars for something that isn't needed. Is there any way to tell if it has been tuned previously? someone said that when you change your midpipe the check engine light comes on, and you can use a tuner to turn it off. Is that true? because i have a full bassani exhaust with no check engine light...
There is not any direct way to know if a custom tune has been flashed. It will need to be downloaded and be compared to a factory tune.

It your exhaust system has catalytic converters there will be no codes thrown--if it does not have catalytic converters, and you bought it from a licensed dealer, then it was an illegal sale...

also it said when you put bigger tires on it, which i have 315's in the rear, and change the gear ratio, itll throw off your speedometer. Im pretty sure mine calibrated right.
It depends on the overall diameter of the tire--if your tires are 315/35-17s then they are the same diameter as the stock 245/45-17s and the speedometer will be correct.

Did the seller give you any reason to believe the car had a custom tune?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
MC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There is not any direct way to know if a custom tune has been flashed. It will need to be downloaded and be compared to a factory tune.

It your exhaust system has catalytic converters there will be no codes thrown--if it does not have catalytic converters, and you bought it from a licensed dealer, then it was an illegal sale...

It depends on the overall diameter of the tire--if your tires are 315/35-17s then they are the same diameter as the stock 245/45-17s and the speedometer will be correct.

Did the seller give you any reason to believe the car had a custom tune?
I live in Texas. Harris County-Emissions Testing, Chambers County-No Emissions testing.I Have a house in both counties(Dont be mis-lead im still 20MIn outside of Houston. it's not BFE) I use the house in Chambers that way i can keep my O/R Pipe and get inspections with no sweat.--There side by side but Chambers is "country", ---Is it like this other places? I think when i bought my Roush in Florida they didnt do emissions either. Explain??
Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM
MC
2nd Gear Member

This answer sucks but, When I had my 99, O/R H-Pipe, I installed white face gauges. I just removed the CheckEngine light bulb................I know........it was just so annoying.....I know.

Quick Reply: Bought a mustang: HP Estimate?!