4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Flycutting 18 cc dish pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
BULLSH!T!!! You can notch the pistons without an issue. Your mechanic is retarded.
I said "flycut" to him, is there a difference?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by jvog
I said "flycut" to him, is there a difference?
Same thing
You are gonna have to degree those cams
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Same thing
You are gonna have to degree those cams
Jim said its not absolutely necessary... Its advised but 90% of people do not have the knowledge/tools to do it
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

flycut the pistons would mean mill them flat pretty much. notching is completely different than flycutting.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM
10inch Terror
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
flycut the pistons would mean mill them flat pretty much. notching is completely different than flycutting.
Uh no..it's the same thing.

Jvog, your mechanic is most likely used to pushrod motors where the notches are towards the center of the piston, and not on the crown like the mod motors need.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
I am gonna be running CMS 2.5 blower cams, which don't require any notching but I figured I better be safe than sorry. I told him I wanted it done so I didnt run into PTV issues and he said there was nothing he could take off.
I am running cms 2.5 blower cams with my 18 dished pistons with no problem but your mechanic is wrong you can flycut them for a more aggressive cam. Per MMR they specifically asked me if I wanted mine cut prior to them building my shortblock.

Note you can run cms stage 3 cams providing they are degreed properly. I got no clearance issues with mine 2.5s and also degreed them properly for performance.

Last edited by Mustang_NTriangle; 03-31-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10inch Terror
Uh no..it's the same thing.

Jvog, your mechanic is most likely used to pushrod motors where the notches are towards the center of the piston, and not on the crown like the mod motors need.
Take what 10inch Terror just told you too your knowledge base, on most pushrod motors the piston will be flycut/notched right in the middle (two one each side, but their are different variations) of the piston and on our modular motors they are flycut/notched on the edges.

But like everyone is explaining to you, your mechanic is misleading you. He might not be a tard, but he is misinformed.

O and by the way you should be talking to a machinist, not a mechanic about building your motor. If thats what your doing.

Last edited by sainthk; 03-31-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sainthk
Take what 10inch Terror just told you too your knowledge base, on most pushrod motors the piston will be flycut/notched right in the middle (two one each side, but their are different variations) of the piston and on our modular motors they are flycut/notched on the edges.

But like everyone is explaining to you, your mechanic is misleading you. He might not be a tard, but he is misinformed.

O and by the way you should be talking to a machinist, not a mechanic about building your motor. If thats what your doing.
I was talking to a guy who races/works on motors and sells shortblocks. He doesnt do any of the actual machine work though. However, he mainly a 5.4 mod motor guy so he should know about this...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
sainthk
2nd Gear Member

5.4 and 4.6 are the same motor expect 5.4 has a taller deck height and a longer stroke, so your right he should know a thing or two about these motors. Maybe he or you are leaving out some sort of information.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sainthk
5.4 and 4.6 are the same motor expect 5.4 has a taller deck height and a longer stroke, so your right he should know a thing or two about these motors. Maybe he or you are leaving out some sort of information.
Nope, I said I wanted them flycut so I didn't run into any PTV issues. I went to pick it up and I was like, these arent flycut and he said (as he pointed to the dish in the piston) we cant really do anything with these (since they were already dished)

Quick Reply: Flycutting 18 cc dish pistons