4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Used gear advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Used gear advice needed

Found a set of 4.10's for 50 bucks. I need advice on what to look for when buying used.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I am pretty sure that you should be able to see wear marks in the middle of each tooth...

I had the option of getting used 3.73's and decided against it... I heard that they are harder to set up without whining or that you must install them exactly to what they were installed in the previous car to prevent whining..

Idk.. I avoided the whole hasssle and bought brand new for a couple bucks more...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I am pretty sure that you should be able to see wear marks in the middle of each tooth...

I had the option of getting used 3.73's and decided against it... I heard that they are harder to set up without whining or that you must install them exactly to what they were installed in the previous car to prevent whining..

Idk.. I avoided the whole hasssle and bought brand new for a couple bucks more...
yeah, I have never dealt with used gears so I didn't know if stuff like that would be an issue. Lmao @ a couple bucks more!! More like 120 bucks more
I was thinking that as long as the gears were in good shape, they wouldn't be any different to install than if they were new.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dr.apex
yeah, I have never dealt with used gears so I didn't know if stuff like that would be an issue. Lmao @ a couple bucks more!! More like 120 bucks more
I was thinking that as long as the gears were in good shape, they wouldn't be any different to install than if they were new.

Used gears are tough, because even if they look like they are indecent shape you could install them and have problems. You would have to have a differential shop, machine shop, or whatever take a good look at them for you to make sure there is no unusual wear. IMO it's not worth it to save roughly $100
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Alright guys, I appreciate the heads up. I'll just go with new then.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Don't let us steer you away. Many people have installed used gears and they have no problems.. Me on the other hand, i like to take risks sometimes, but i couldn't afford the shop having to go into the rear again bc of a whining noise or something along those lines... I ended up spending like $50 more for a brand new FRPP set and mine are installed with zero problems.. For something like gears, i would rather it just be done right so that it was only done once... Just like i would be reluctant to buy a used rear end...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Don't let us steer you away. Many people have installed used gears and they have no problems.. Me on the other hand, i like to take risks sometimes, but i couldn't afford the shop having to go into the rear again bc of a whining noise or something along those lines... I ended up spending like $50 more for a brand new FRPP set and mine are installed with zero problems.. For something like gears, i would rather it just be done right so that it was only done once... Just like i would be reluctant to buy a used rear end...
No, it's cool. The whole point of the thread was to get as many oppinions as possible. I posted this same question on like 3 other forums. All together, it's around 25 to 2 against going used. Everyone, pretty much, has said the same thing along the lines of how the gears wear differently in every car, and if you don't install them exactly how they were originally wearing, you could run into headaches.
If it were something as simple as a cai, or tb, then I'd take the risk. I just don't want to go through tearing it apart a second time, if they don't work right.
Thanks alot for all the oppinions.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

you got it now order those gears!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 PM
DriveITlikeYOUstoleIT

I got my gear used out of an explorer. It is perfectly fine and has never whined. I have had a few friends by brand new gears that whined. OEM is the way to go if you don't want it to sound like a dying cat under your car. you can find oem 4.10 gears I believe they are in the 4x4 broncos
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DriveITlikeYOUstoleIT
I got my gear used out of an explorer. It is perfectly fine and has never whined. I have had a few friends by brand new gears that whined. OEM is the way to go if you don't want it to sound like a dying cat under your car. you can find oem 4.10 gears I believe they are in the 4x4 broncos
Although this was the first time I've concidered used gears, I've had several that I put brand new ones in. There are really only 2 reasons you would have whining on new gears. 1) ****ty install 2) cheap crap
I'f you buy good gears they should not whine at all. I, at least, know that.

HP...
Yeah, I got them ordered today. I just went with the Ford Racing 4.10's from AM.