MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   The Saga Begins(2.1L Kenne Bell) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/594110-the-saga-begins-2-1l-kenne-bell.html)

Hangwire 03-31-2010 07:08 PM

The Saga Begins(2.1L Kenne Bell)

Well its not necessarily beginning its been in the works for a year as of this month, but things are getting hot and heated now.

I've been saving for a year and bought a used 2.1L I/C kit. In fact this was the kit that Tim99GT originally had on his car. He turned around and sold it because he got a great deal on a 2.8L KB. This blower has less than 2000 miles on it and I know exactly who owned it and how it was treated. I paid $4,400 total with insured shipping included.

The blower is being shipped tomorrow(April 1) so it should be here late next week. The ONLY thing I have put on my car since I got it is MAC catbacks, SCT tuner, J-MOD and transmission cooler. K&N filter was on it when I bought. Other than that it is STOCK as far as I know. Its been a lot of delayed gratification and I dont have much longer to wait and i'm really glad I have had the patience to not blow thousands on bolt ons.

My car is as ready as its going to be. I've put the J-MOD and tranny cooler in the 4r70w along with a new filter and fresh fluid and i've always kept up my maintenance. I'll be changing the oil, fuel filter and cleaning the air filter this weekend. Also going to be putting on fresh rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I am not entirely sure when I will be putting this thing on my car. There's nothing really "holding me back" aside from a 2 week lead time on scheduling my dyno tune.

I'll be getting it dynoed @ Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC. http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UHome.asp check out some youtube videos of some of their cars especially the TT fox body its ****ing sick.

Going with a 9 PSI 93 Octane tune. Will cost me $150 for a baseline tune and $150 for the dyno tune. Talked to Taylor @ Fastlane Motorsports.

How soon I install this thing will depend on if a baseline tune will be safe enough to drive around for a week or two or not. How safe are "baseline tunes" do I absolutely positively have to stay 100% out of boost? I really dont see myself being able to drive 1-2 weeks with 0 boost ever. I could very well need to hit the pedal to cope with traffic and dont want it going kabooomz on me.

If I can drive some with a baseline tune i'll probly put this on next weekend. If I cant i'll have to wait to install it just before my scheduled dyno tune. And right now fastlane motorsports is booked for the next 2 weeks

Please feel free to give me any and all advice you can think of and please ask many questions. I want to make sure i've not left one stone unturned in this process so I can feel confidant going into the install. Cant wait to stomp unsuspecting camaros left and right with this monster :icon_eddie:

DreamerGT 03-31-2010 07:27 PM

good luck and have fun with that boost. :icon_mrgreen:

DriveITlikeYOUstoleIT 03-31-2010 08:49 PM

I would take it very easy on the car until you do get it dyno tuned. Better safe than sorry

ct_white_stang 03-31-2010 09:57 PM

I wouldn't drive around without the dyno proper tune, why do you have to drive around on a baseline tune for 2 weeks? Are you looking for problems?

lilcrate 03-31-2010 10:31 PM

Congrats, you were talking about this a long time ago. I wouldn't bother driving around if you don't have to, not worth it to risk it. Plan on getting some decent tires if you haven't already. Keep us updated on dyno results.

WOH HRSY 03-31-2010 11:52 PM

Without a way to check your A/F ratio I wouldn't do it. As hard as it'll be wait to install it, enjoy the boost and welcome to the club!

GTRACER88 04-01-2010 12:23 AM

Congrats! Rule number 1. Pictures. Rule number 2. Videos.

How are you liking the Jmod?

Tim99GT 04-01-2010 09:36 AM

Congrats Travis! About damn time lol
You ar going to love this blower. There is really nothing like mashing the gas with a KB. It deff always brought a smile to my face :)
I warn you now though.... The power is very addicting lol

Hangwire 04-01-2010 12:38 PM

Just got a text. Blower will be here TUESDAY damn thats fast.

Yeah thanks alot Tim for everything. Power is addicting for sure, comes with the territory but I wont see anymore than 9 PSI unless I rebuild so i'll have to learn to live with it. I think 400HP/400TQ twin screwed will be pretty easy to "live with" :)

The reason I asked about riding around for 2 weeks is because thats the soonest I could book a dyno session. I should have worded it differently. I pretty much want to know how comperable a "baseline" tune is with say the tune KB gives you. I know for a fact its safe to hit boost with the KB tune they have been tested over and over and are pretty good, but conservative. I guess my tuner will be able to tell me how safe it is.

BTW Tim your chip wont work on my car because its tuned to your PCM code. Since were different years theres 0 chance we have the same PCM code. So i'll end up with a paper weight of a KB Chip. Also.....you DID drain the blower oil when you packed it right? Lol. Also is there oil in there for it or do I need to go ahead and order some? You also mentioned in some PMs months ago there was a few pieces of hardware that you had to kind of break during disassembly but its something I could pick up at Ace Hardware. Do you remember what it was? I could just go through my like 90 some PMs and look for it but id rather not haha.

BTW Silver I saw what you edited out :P

lilcrate all the way up until now I thought I was going to be in a major tire dilemma. In fact i've just now figured out exactly what rims I have on my car. I've never ever been able to figure it out because I could never ever find replicas or any documentation on what year they were offered and for what cars. Turns out I think I have 99-01 Cobra rims on my car....but why on a GT? They are 5 spoke 17x8 Aluminum Alloy polished rims and they look tits which is why I refuse to spend 2,000 for new rims and tires. Problem being they are 8 inch wide. I did some searching today and found a thread with 275 wide tires on 8 inch rims and its actually not that bad at all. I will be ordering 275/40/17 Nitto NT555Rs shortly after the blower install. Heres some pics of 275s on the rims that i'm talking about.
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/a...dblue/rims.jpg
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/a...blue/rims2.jpg

GTRACER88 Don't you worry there will be PLENTY of photos and I plan to spend some considerable time and effort making a video or two. The J-MOD is pretty nuts. There is absolutely 0 delay in the shifts and it shifts like the transmission is pissed the hell off. J-MOD + max shift pressure is lightning fast and will jerk your ass forward hardcore going 1-2. For now the FedEx man came by as I made this post and brought me my NGK TR6's. So heres the only pic you get right now :P
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/MVC-634F.jpg

Keep the info/questions coming.

Tim99GT 04-01-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hangwire (Post 6917425)
Just got a text. Blower will be here TUESDAY damn thats fast.

Yeah thanks alot Tim for everything. Power is addicting for sure, comes with the territory but I wont see anymore than 9 PSI unless I rebuild so i'll have to learn to live with it. I think 400HP/400TQ twin screwed will be pretty easy to "live with" :)

BTW Tim your chip wont work on my car because its tuned to your PCM code. Since were different years theres 0 chance we have the same PCM code. So i'll end up with a paper weight of a KB Chip. Also.....you DID drain the blower oil when you packed it right? Lol. Also is there oil in there for it or do I need to go ahead and order some? You also mentioned in some PMs months ago there was a few pieces of hardware that you had to kind of break during disassembly but its something I could pick up at Ace Hardware. Do you remember what it was? I could just go through my like 90 some PMs and look for it but id rather not haha.

No problem. Yea, 400rwtq/hp is pretty easy to live with lmao
I didnt even think about the damn pcm code... :(
Oh well. At least you will have a "cool" paperweight lol
I did drain the oil before shipping it. And i think there is like half a bottle of oil in the box(more than enough). Bolts are taped to where they go, instructions are taped to the blower itself along with all the tools. Every piece is saran wrapped and packaged within foam. :)

Parts that you will need are:
2 - self tapping screws for the heat exchanger. ~ 1/2" long
1 - small(ill have to look to see what size. Its listed in the istruction manual though) in-line fuse
And i think that is it. You should have everything else packaged in te box.