4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Who Installed Gears From AM....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

I would get the install kit just to be on the safe side. There always is a chance you could mess up a bearing or a race when removing them from the old ring and pinion.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Well I just want to know what the pros & cons are. I don't want to spend extra money if i don't have too. Plus for me im getting professional install.

sidenote: not trying to hiijack thread. I'm just trying to learn here.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Well I just want to know what the pros & cons are. I don't want to spend extra money if i don't have too. Plus for me im getting professional install.

sidenote: not trying to hiijack thread. I'm just trying to learn here.
No problem- I'm not entirely sure what everything is that comes in the kits anyway. Like I said before, I'm having someone help me with it that done several, and I'm just trying to make sure we have everything we need. Can any one clarify for us?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

The install kit comes with shims and a crush sleeve and pinion nut. The bearing kit has shims, crush sleeve, pinion nut, and new pinion and carrier bearings and races.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
sonicx
speed'n

haha, okay thats good. But could you break it down further for me. I know nothing about gears.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

You might want to get your tuner through Brenspeed.

I ordered my tuner (with "custom" tunes) on Sunday 3/28. I received the e-mail to enter my mods and I sent it back to them on Monday 3/29. By Friday I still hadn't heard anything at all, so I PM'ed Emily and she looked into my order and said that it was being loaded that day and it would ship on Monday (today). I still don't have any shipping information, kind of getting impatient. Some of the guys over in the 05-10 section are complaining of the same things. One guy had to wait for almost 3 weeks, I'm really hoping mine doesn't take that long.

Bama Tuning and AM are partners now, I had heard horrible things about Bama and their customer service/delay time, but I had faith that it would all be worked out when he teamed with AM and their awesome customer service. This doesn't seem to be the case.

/rant
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I bought the install kit and i had 115k when i had them put in and the guy at the shop said
he put the new ones in but the old ones had nothing wrong with them. But i know with my luck if i didn't get the kit he would've told me how screwed up my bearings were haha.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok listen, 30k miles, no problems. Buy the gears you want (FRPP!!!) and run to your local ford dealer and get the pinion bearing + race (inner one its the bigger of the 2).

You can swap those gears out doing it that way in about an hour.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

get a Sniper tuner..you dont have to email anyone for anything..you can do it all yourself on a laptop..very easy. all those mail order tunes are anyways are timing changes, speedo recalibration, etc. you can tweak it yourself as many times as you'd like.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MJH78
get a Sniper tuner..you dont have to email anyone for anything..you can do it all yourself on a laptop..very easy. all those mail order tunes are anyways are timing changes, speedo recalibration, etc. you can tweak it yourself as many times as you'd like.

I am with this guy. Go Sniper. I had my gears installed with a new bearing kit and glad I did. Even though the car only had 25,000 on the clock I wanted to be safe. It was only $80 more and no more on the install price. They are in there already so why not. I plan on keeping the car a long time and wanted to make sure it held together. Rather be safe then sorry.

Quick Reply: Who Installed Gears From AM....