4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Who Installed Gears From AM....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Ok listen, 30k miles, no problems. Buy the gears you want (FRPP!!!) and run to your local ford dealer and get the pinion bearing + race (inner one its the bigger of the 2).

You can swap those gears out doing it that way in about an hour.
For me im talking about 50K+ miles. So w/ the FRPP (professionally installed) gears all I should buy is the install kit for $35.99? I wouldn't need anything else?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by sonicx
For me im talking about 50K+ miles. So w/ the FRPP (professionally installed) gears all I should buy is the install kit for $35.99? I wouldn't need anything else?
No, dont buy that kit..

Kit Includes:
  • Pinion Seal
  • Carrier Shims
  • Crush Sleeve
  • Pinion Nut
  • Cover Gasket
  • Ring Gear Bolts
  • Brush
  • Gear Marking Compound
  • Loctite
The only thing you WILL need from that kit is the pinion seal and maybe the loctite. If you want to swap the ring pinion the fast and cheaper way, you replace just the pinion bearing and ring/pinion. The FRPP gears come with the shims, sleeve, nut. If you want to replace the bearings while you have the rear apart, then it'll cost you close to 125$ for the parts. 2 axle bearings, 2 carrier bearings w/ 2 races, 2 pinion bearings w/ 2 races, 2 axle seals, pinion seal, RTV for rear cover, 3 bottles of fluid + fricition modifier. etc.....
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I should warn you, the FRPP gears that i got through CJ Pony Parts didnt come with any shims or a pinion nut or a sleeve.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
sonicx
speed'n

No, dont buy that kit..
The only thing you WILL need from that kit is the pinion seal and maybe the loctite. If you want to swap the ring pinion the fast and cheaper way, you replace just the pinion bearing and ring/pinion. The FRPP gears come with the shims, sleeve, nut. If you want to replace the bearings while you have the rear apart, then it'll cost you close to 125$ for the parts.
Thank You... that helps a little. So... what would be the benifit then of this kit? Like w/ a tad over 51K on the clock should I do the kit as well. Or just do what you said above ^^?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

The FRPP gears come with the shims, sleeve, nut. If you want to replace the bearings while you have the rear apart, then it'll cost you close to 125$ for the parts. 2 axle bearings, 2 carrier bearings w/ 2 races, 2 pinion bearings w/ 2 races, 2 axle seals, pinion seal, RTV for rear cover, 3 bottles of fluid + fricition modifier. etc.....
What he said. that is what I had done to mine, but I also have over 90k on the clock.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
What he said. that is what I had done to mine, but I also have over 90k on the clock.
Thanks everyone. i kinda get it....maybe the question has already been answered so i apologize if im still not quite understanding. Why would I want / need to spend an extra 125? Is it like an extra insurance policy? If so them im good with what i needed to know.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Personally I think I've made up my mind to get the gear/tuner package, then purchase the $74.99 install kit (the one that comes with bearings) as well. I'm just not sure it I want to do the track-loc. Its hard to get straight what everyone used/didn't use. Seems like everyone has different ways they've installed there gears. Both ways seem to be going fine.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Ehh ^^^ yeah? I guess thats a good way to look at it. lol
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-End-Gear-Kit
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 AM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Nice find. I think I'm still leaning toward the American Muscle kit though, because it comes with a tuner, and I really want one of them as well. And if I purchase it separate it ends up costing more than the AM kit. Anyone know were I can get that little bottle of FRPP friction modifier, Ford dealer maybe? Didn't realize that would be necessary.

Quick Reply: Who Installed Gears From AM....