4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Who Installed Gears From AM....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Who Installed Gears From AM....

Hey everyone, ordering gears and tuner package this week from American Muscle. Not going to get into which ones (4.10's or 3.73's) that I've decided to get, because I've read enough threads over the last few days and have made up my mind.

My question, do I need to purchase the installation kit they offer with these? Or can I reuse the stock components.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/moinkit8re.html

Also do I need to purchase the traction lock rebuild? I don't think I would need this. Car doesn't have that many miles on it to start.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html

And as far as ordering the tuner, does anyone have experience getting a tuner from them. I've ordered numerous parts from them, but the tuner has me a little concern. They say you order it and then they send you and email asking you to list you mods and then you return it to them and they write you a tune. How easy was this for everyone. Any input is helpful. Thanks.

FYI:
My car is a 2003 GT w/ roughly 30,000 mile on it. Go to the track a handful of times each summer. Other mods listed below.

Last edited by davidsv8mustang; 04-05-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Fixed Links
Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I'd get the installation kit
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

With 30k miles on the car i wouldnt bother with it honestly. My car had over 100k miles on it and i used stock stuff and my rear is still fine. No need for a trac lok rebuild yet. And buying a tuner through them shouldnt be that hard. You send them a mods list and they have guys that write their tunes that know what different mods do what and they will get you a mail order tune that will be pretty darn good i'd say, or else AM wouldnt put their name on it.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya, that's what I was leaning toward. I don't really want to spend an extra $125 on something that probably is no were close to being worn out.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Anytime you upgrade/replace you should do it the correct way, why half $ss it
Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Anytime you upgrade/replace you should do it the correct way, why half $ss it
I understand this for the most part I do. Hence the reason that my car still has factory springs even though I want to lower it, but I would want to get all the suspension parts at once rather than just springs. I think I will be getting the install kit, But the car has 30g on it, and I'd highly doubt that the Track-lock would need replaced. I don't really beat on the car, and the drive-train has zero problems. I purchase the car brand new and know exactly how its been driven. I just don't want to spend money on parts that don't need to be replaced, that's all.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I really dont think that you need the install kit. Everywhere that i priced out gears told me if the car has under 50k on it then the install kit isnt really needed. I didnt do it with over 100k and my car drives just fine without the install kit.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I really dont think that you need the install kit. Everywhere that i priced out gears told me if the car has under 50k on it then the install kit isnt really needed. I didnt do it with over 100k and my car drives just fine without the install kit.
Yep, thats why I'm torn. I've heard the same thing from reading all the different threads on gears. However I've never done a gear install, so me and my brother-in-law are going to do it (he has done several) and I just want to make sure we have all the parts we are going to need when we start it, so we can finish it that same day. I cant imagine my rear-end parts needing replaced, but I just wanted to hear some opinions.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

The install kit is just insurance
Even if you are the original owner and know the Stangs life history, just senseless to not spend the extra 35 or so on the install kit especially since you have put it on the track and I'm sure done some spirited driving. Just good sense!!!

Last edited by lizzyfan; 04-05-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
sonicx
speed'n

So... one could get away w/ only the motive installion kit. What is w/ the Ford rebuilt kit? And the Bearing Kit? Like i've heard the 50K rule of thumb as well and now i've just wonder after reading this thread whats the difference w/ these three options? Since I've going on 51K. Thanks

Quick Reply: Who Installed Gears From AM....