4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

trickflow vs. other heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Default trickflow vs. other heads

these newer trickflow heads, are they really that much better than other aftermarket heads? i see they are about 2grand where as other heads are more or less about 1,000...are they worth the additional 1k? what are the differences in gains? i may be a little behind on this but if someone could bring me up to speed thatd be great, lol...thinkin of doin heads and cams this summer, dont wanna waste money or regret not buying something better lol...id imagine they must be significantly better to be about double the price
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

iv seen multiple people getting 350to the wheels with heads/cams with the TF heads. Most people with some pretty stout cams, ported pi heads are struggling to get above the 320s.

Ifd say thats worth the extra grand. just dont buy tb/plenum, pulleys and a cai and ull never feel the extra 1000 compared to ported pi heads lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i agree with sir hoss. The Trickflow heads flow much better than any 2v head out there. Then again it should for the price and because they have been talking about it for the last 8 years. You just have to see if you can justify the cost. Are you going for a built 2v monster? Or do you want an all out N/A 2v? I can see someone doing that for an auto-X car. If you race auto-X yeah i'd probably go all out N/A 2v if you just wanna have fun on the weekends spend the money on a blower and be done with it.

my .02.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
8111870a
1st Gear Member

they are the only aftermarket head being made. others use stock castings and cnc them.
the price on them should go down after they have recouped some the money they spent in designing them.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I want to know if people with the TFS heads, aggressive cams and aftermarket intake (making 350-400hp) are having to rev it to the moon to make that power. I have read that guys with built motors and TFS H/C/I have to rev it 8-9k. I have also seen a lot of ported heads, cams and intake guys that run very good times N/A.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
these newer trickflow heads, are they really that much better than other aftermarket heads? i see they are about 2grand where as other heads are more or less about 1,000...are they worth the additional 1k? what are the differences in gains? i may be a little behind on this but if someone could bring me up to speed thatd be great, lol...thinkin of doin heads and cams this summer, dont wanna waste money or regret not buying something better lol...id imagine they must be significantly better to be about double the price
Other heads are much more than just a grand. They are more along the lines of over $1500, and if you get good heads like Fox Lake, you'll pay probably about $1800 for a set of new heads. So TFS heads are not that bad when you think about it.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

good info and opinions...im runnin into some money within the next month or so and am lookin for the best option on how to spend it...i alrdy have full exhaust, kn intake, tb, plenum, spacer, sts, lowered, happpy with the exterior, fully built posi rear w. 373s, drag radials, linelock...going to get 2 step and shift light next, but when the big bucks comes dont know how to spend it...if i do nice head/cam combo itll appear id have the stock block done as far as not going FI (with the exception of pulleys that i always thought were useless)...im not lookin for insane power, just more than im at...i like turbos but dont really wanna change my headers and that kmember crap confuses me a little lol, could go with a s.c but it def seems like everyone goes that root and i really dont need over 400rwhp so i figured it would be the most wise to get a nice head/came setup...340-350rwhp sounds pretty dam good to me, prolly like 100 more than im at lol (never been on a dyno)...and if i ever really get the itch for more power i could always spray or add different forced induction down the road...its a daily driver that i enjoy taking down the track when i get the oppurtunity to (prolly 5-10 times per season)...what you guys think..everyone complains about the potential of these 2v blocks without FI, but i see potential, 340-350rwhp i think is pretty strong..how fast do you really need to go? lol, the fastest id ever wanna be is touching 11's, id be completely content in the 12's
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Do the CMS power package with these heads and cams. You might also want to do the smaller combustion chamber to add some compression to gain a little bit more power.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
what you guys think..everyone complains about the potential of these 2v blocks without FI, but i see potential, 340-350rwhp i think is pretty strong..how fast do you really need to go? lol, the fastest id ever wanna be is touching 11's, id be completely content in the 12's
You can get into the 12s without needing a H/C/I. If you just want 12s, spray it and call it a day.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i could definately cover that kind of spending after looking but im not positive im gonna wanna blow basically all the money like that right away lol...it may seem stupid in the end but maybe ill do the cams first, then the heads when i get sick of the power? lol...ill have to look into it a lil before i commit to 2400 bucks, especially if the price of the heads should come down soon (or so im told lol)...does CMS give an additional discount to us? how difficult would this install be for someone with ok mechanical experience...like should this definately be professionally done? install must be a lot on heads/cams

Quick Reply: trickflow vs. other heads