4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Buying a stang, any reason to avoid 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Also , If you think a stock 4.6 2v/5.0 push rod engine should compete with the 5.7/6. wha eva liter LS then thats assigned. Your precious LS engines aint looking too hot compared to the new 5.0 are they ??? I would rather look good being slow then looking ugly going not too much faster. HAHA I love these disagreements , all in all I would to a WS6 LS1 , Nice cars.
So your comparing a LS1 motor that was designed what, 13-14 years ago to the 5.0 motor that was designed a few years ago? Does advanced technology have anything to do with a 5.0 that makes more power than a 5.7? lol

I agree the New Edge GTs look better than most GMs but we both can agree on that we wish the 4.6 motors responded as well to mods as GM motors do (LS1 especially). I mean full bolts ons and cams in the 4.6 we see 290-300rwhp. With the LS1 with full bolt ons and a cam and you see 400+rwhp.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
So your comparing a LS1 motor that was designed what, 13-14 years ago to the 5.0 motor that was designed a few years ago? Does advanced technology have anything to do with a 5.0 that makes more power than a 5.7? lol

I agree the New Edge GTs look better than most GMs but we both can agree on that we wish the 4.6 motors responded as well to mods as GM motors do (LS1 especially). I mean full bolts ons and cams in the 4.6 we see 290-300rwhp. With the LS1 with full bolt ons and a cam and you see 400+rwhp.
Proof read my post home slice , I never sayd anything about a LS1. I posted your precious LS engine ! which the new camaro is implanted with a LS engine right ?? the new 5.0 is gonna tear the SOB up ! Of course its no corvette but there in classes of there own. The 4.6 2v was not made to compete with the LS1 , they are more along the lines to compete with a LT1's and other lower performance vehicles (but for some reason a little boost has these puny buggers going neck to neck with cammed/bolt on LS1's). The 4v is the competition for them LS1's , I realize there not the N/A mans weapon of choice but Add some Forced Induction and the little 4.6 is plenty enough to rake the yard with a built LS1. I agree with you totally on wishing that the 4.6 would respond like the Gm engines to bolt ons but they dont , I accepted it and would not trade my little 4.6 for a ooogly ol Catfish. Plus our cars do nice in the twisties compared to the GM boats , I like cars that are not set to 1 dimensional racing.

Last edited by Mr Graystang; 04-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Proof read my post home slice , I never sayd anything about a LS1. I posted your precious LS engine ! which the new camaro is implanted with a LS engine right ?? the new 5.0 is gonna tear the SOB up ! Of course its no corvette but there in classes of there own. The 4.6 2v was not made to compete with the LS1 , they are more along the lines to compete with a LT1's and other lower performance vehicles (but for some reason a little boost has these puny buggers going neck to neck with cammed/bolt on LS1's). The 4v is the competition for them LS1's , I realize there not the N/A mans weapon of choice but Add some Forced Induction and the little 4.6 is plenty enough to rake the yard with a built LS1. I agree with you totally on wishing that the 4.6 would respond like the Gm engines to bolt ons but they dont , I accepted it and would not trade my little 4.6 for a ooogly ol Catfish. Plus our cars do nice in the twisties compared to the GM boats , I like cars that are not set to 1 dimensional racing.
+1 on that
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead

Is there a particular reason you need a 5.7 or 6.0 to compete with a 4.6 N/A? Hmmm. I mean GM has such superior engineering they could easily step down to a 4.6 Or 5.0 and still dominate. ****, 2011 proved that wrong in many ways.

Hand pick yourself a cammed F-body and i'll gladly race him with a KB I/C New Edge GT. I give up 1.1 - 1.4L of displacement you give up forced induction. Sound good? Good.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Good points in there and I agree with a lot of it. I honestly don't have any problem with GM. I'm no Ford nutswinger or anything, I just call it like I see it lol
Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

The LS vs Ford arguement is pointless and goes nowhere.

OP, honestly they aren't the greatest but I would probably rather start with a 94-95 than a 96-98.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lilcrate
The LS vs Ford arguement is pointless and goes nowhere.

OP, honestly they aren't the greatest but I would probably rather start with a 94-95 than a 96-98.
But it is very entertaining to discuss. Also +1 on the 94-95 with the 5.0 , H/C/I with gears and suspension you will golden.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Hand pick yourself a cammed F-body and i'll gladly race him with a KB I/C New Edge GT. I give up 1.1 - 1.4L of displacement you give up forced induction. Sound good? Good.
That would be a fun race to set up. And if the New Edge was on the stock block, it would be close IMO.

But it is very entertaining to discuss.
Haha ya it was a fun little discussing but I really don't think it would have gone anywhere lol