4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HID lights are confusing me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Alright, the thing is, I am NOT electrically inclined at all. I am tempted to buy the AmericanMuscle kits because they are so so so so easy to install.

Pony123, where did you get your kit from?
Also, are all of these places that offer kits 8000k? I love the 8000k spectrum, and nothing else really
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
so we have established there are many different places to buy HIDs for our cars... some are very expensive, some are dirt cheap, find a place that offers a lifetime warranty and seems to know what they are doing

I would not buy another kit from DDMtuning again if I was to buy a 2nd kit, I myself would look into the places budders said, but if you want to get a kit from them that is you, I've heard a lot of good and bad about them, they do offer a lifetime warranty though and seem to sell a lot of bmw and porsche stuff which leads me to believe they are a decent company
What's wrong with DDM? I have their fog lights and they work great... they don't seem to fire all of the time but maybe my connections are loose. I'm gonna add some dielectric gel and that should fix it up. All of my friends have DDM kits too... I've probably got 15ish DDM kits running around town and they all work fine.

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Alright, the thing is, I am NOT electrically inclined at all. I am tempted to buy the AmericanMuscle kits because they are so so so so easy to install.

Pony123, where did you get your kit from?
Also, are all of these places that offer kits 8000k? I love the 8000k spectrum, and nothing else really
Don't do the American Muscle kit. I bought a Stangmods 8000k hi/low head light kit for $280 and I feel like I've been had. It had to be replaced 4 times... and WHAT A RIPOFF! I could have had the same on DDM for $60.

So you gotta ask yourself if $200 is worth plugging a couple of pins into your existing plugs... it's really that easy. The only thing that the DDM kits don't have is an blank plug, the pins are there and if you could find a blank plug you could stick the pins in it and tada. If you want pictures I'll take some soon, I've got the stang off the road and I can show you all that needs to be done.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I'm not bashing DDMtuning, I bought their products because they offer what seems to be a nice kit at a very affordable price, I am just having trouble with their fog light kit, I'm not going to tell this guy who is looking to buy some HIDs that I've never had any problems with my DDMtuning HID kit because I have, I've read of people having the similar problem I am having and people such as yourself who have NEVER had one problem with DDMtuning's kit

as for the american muscle kit, I don't think it's worth the money personally, I have however had no experience with it, but I can't imagine it is any different from similar kits going for 1/2 the price
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I'm not bashing DDMtuning, I bought their products because they offer what seems to be a nice kit at a very affordable price, I am just having trouble with their fog light kit, I'm not going to tell this guy who is looking to buy some HIDs that I've never had any problems with my DDMtuning HID kit because I have, I've read of people having the similar problem I am having and people such as yourself who have NEVER had one problem with DDMtuning's kit

as for the american muscle kit, I don't think it's worth the money personally, I have however had no experience with it, but I can't imagine it is any different from similar kits going for 1/2 the price
Well the only problem I've had so far with their kit is that they don't always fire when powered on. My only guess is that the voltage is too low and it's giving me problems... or the connection to the kit is poor. At the cost of the kits, replacement parts are cheap enough to order, plus they come with a lifetime warranty. None of my friends have had any issues, just me.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Is there a kit around the same price that always fires?

Having HIDs not go on is probably the worst thing besides intermittent shutoff. I know the American Muscle kit is probably great. But do you think that even the most electrically un-inclined could figure out DDM lights?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Is there a kit around the same price that always fires?

Having HIDs not go on is probably the worst thing besides intermittent shutoff. I know the American Muscle kit is probably great. But do you think that even the most electrically un-inclined could figure out DDM lights?
lol yes.. I did... and I HATE messing with my electric system on my car, it scares the sh*t out of me for some reason

if you order the ddmtuning kit and do order the high/low kit and you can't get your fogs to come on... it's probably bc they reversed the high/low wires again- to fix this problem, cut up the high/low kit thing, switch the wires around (there are three wires, a high, a low, and a ground) and figure out which wires go where until you get the high/low thing to work properly... look at their install directions, you'll figure it out, it's really not hard, americanmuscle has a good write up as well on their website on how to install HID kits