4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HID lights are confusing me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default HID lights are confusing me...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid.html#shop-by2

Which kit are you supposed to buy? What is the dual beam kit? Single beam?

1. If you install this kit, can you still have the orange-ish parking lights glowing?
2. Which kit has it so that you get bulbs for the fog lights?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

these are what i have....work just fine and are alot cheaper.

http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...N-XENON/Detail

foglight kits are different. and none of them touch the turn signal/running lights
Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

dual beam is like you high/low beam- single beam would be just low beams which are bright enough for an HID kit
1.)yes
2.)that would be a second kit, the bulb size for your fogs is 893 this kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-si...m-kit-893.html

I ordered a kit from DDMtuning.com the high/low wires were crossed and I'm having trouble with my fogs now after having the kit for about 2 months (came with a lifetime warranty and they were super cheap), the one fog doesn't come on all the time, others it comes on fine and sometimes it just goes into strobe light effect for NO apparent reason- all the connections are solid and everything is wrapped in electric tape to prevent shortages

my tire also just ate a wrench- someone must have put a wrench sticking upwards in some train tracks and as I crossed an intersection and passed over the train tracks, I picked up the wrench driving back to my apartment from home... now I'm trying to fix my HID fogs and find someone in the little town that I go to school that can order me a new tired and put it on correctly or maybe patch the massive hole in my tire

/angry rant, good luck with the lights buddy

edit: read the install guide and look over your car to make sure you understand what's going on before you buy the kit or start installing a kit, not hard to install, mostly plug and play and a lot of zip ties and electric tape

Last edited by tdcalhoun89; 04-18-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: It's been a long day
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Alright, so in other words, you would need to buy that kit TWICE?

One for the 9007, and one for the 893?
Wow... where else do the rest of you guys recommend for fogs? Because I don't want this to be a 400 dollar thing lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

dude, go through retro solutions or hidguy. theyre soo cheap there and if they dont work, just get em replaced under the liftime****ingwarranty. holly**** people.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

www.ddmtuning.com is also a good place
Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

for fogs just buy some xentec's off ebay. i've had them on my bike for 2 years now and haven't even so much as burned out a bulb. they are pretty popular kits in the bike world and cost 40$ for 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts. absolutely great buy for the money IMO. 35w kit single beam btw (which is perfect for sportbikes because one "headlight" is low one is high).

i have ddmtuning HID's in my headlights and not overly impressed with the kit but they are extremely cheap for a high/low kit. i'm having a similar problem as above. when my headlights are on lowbeam setting, driver side is low beam and appears passenger side is highbeam. haven't rewired it yet cuz i have too much **** going on. the bulbs are also kinda flimsy and "jiggle" alot while driving, very annoying at first but i don't pay attention to it now. for the price its not bad at all i was always told they were good kits but they aren't perfect.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
dude, go through retro solutions or hidguy. theyre soo cheap there and if they dont work, just get em replaced under the liftime****ingwarranty. holly**** people.
exactly...

and yes OP, you have to buy 2 separate kits. i would go retro solutions for headlights ($80) and id look into the ebay kits for foglights since they are not as important as headlights for the cheaper $40
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

I have hids on my fogs and headlights. Paid about 80$ for both sets .. Work amazing
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

so we have established there are many different places to buy HIDs for our cars... some are very expensive, some are dirt cheap, find a place that offers a lifetime warranty and seems to know what they are doing

I would not buy another kit from DDMtuning again if I was to buy a 2nd kit, I myself would look into the places budders said, but if you want to get a kit from them that is you, I've heard a lot of good and bad about them, they do offer a lifetime warranty though and seem to sell a lot of bmw and porsche stuff which leads me to believe they are a decent company

Quick Reply: HID lights are confusing me...