4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rear end pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default Rear end pricing?

Anyone know of a good place to price a rear? This is the cheapest i've found...

-Your choice of gear ratio
-31 spline trac-loc with carbon fiber clutches
-Main cap stud kit
-TA performance girdle
-Moser hi alloy 31 spline c-clip axels
-Welded axel tubes
-Master bearing and seal Kit
-$1679 with core

will probably cost me close to $2000 with shipping.

Thats alot of monies but i haven't really found any better deals, however i haven't looked too far.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Build your own. You'll get everything the same for cheaper, just not a new axle housing. And you'd have to take your axle out to weld the tubes. But i say just build your own. It will be cheaper i'd say.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Building your own might be a good idea... price seems kinda high to me... **** for that much u could pretty much get a s/c
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 PM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Lug-373-Gears
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM
RyanK
2nd Gear Member

maybe im dumb.. but what exactly does changing out the whole rear end give you more launching capabilities so they wont snap or what? why not just put gears and call it done?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Changing to 31 spline forged axles for more strength and the axle tubes welded will not allow the axle tubes to twist and mess up your rear end. If you put just gears in, you will have to baby it launching with any kind of sticky tires and/or any kind of power.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanK
maybe im dumb.. but what exactly does changing out the whole rear end give you more launching capabilities so they wont snap or what? why not just put gears and call it done?
Originally Posted by teej281
Changing to 31 spline forged axles for more strength and the axle tubes welded will not allow the axle tubes to twist and mess up your rear end. If you put just gears in, you will have to baby it launching with any kind of sticky tires and/or any kind of power.
what ^ said. I figure i might as well do it once and do it right so i'll be ready for big power.

also IEGT thats a pretty good price, im not sure it'd be nice if i could get another gear ratio maybe i'll call about that, i think 3.55s are up my alley i might use 3.73s. I wonder if i bought everything seperate if it would be cheaper, i've got some comparing to do.

Just a bit of an update on my build in general, blocks about to go in for a bore/hone/hottank then will be balanced. After that assembly can begin, debating whether or not to get a tubular k-member and a-arms before i put the motor back in. Depends on the money i guess, i sent promotion an e-mail to see how much an upgrade for my transmission would be, thats probably going to be the deciding factor on the k-member and a-arms will probably go with UPR. Someone told me its $650ish for the 700 or 750hp version of the t-45 with the core, if so thats pretty awesome, im still waiting to hear back from them. Pricing a rear right now obviously, im trying to do all of that before getting into the boost stuff. Then comes paint, then wheels (i have 01 polished aluminum cobras right now) then im done untill i decide i wanna build 03 cobra heads with cams oversized valves and a 5 way angle job.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
what ^ said. I figure i might as well do it once and do it right so i'll be ready for big power.

also IEGT thats a pretty good price, im not sure it'd be nice if i could get another gear ratio maybe i'll call about that, i think 3.55s are up my alley i might use 3.73s. I wonder if i bought everything seperate if it would be cheaper, i've got some comparing to do.

Just a bit of an update on my build in general, blocks about to go in for a bore/hone/hottank then will be balanced. After that assembly can begin, debating whether or not to get a tubular k-member and a-arms before i put the motor back in. Depends on the money i guess, i sent promotion an e-mail to see how much an upgrade for my transmission would be, thats probably going to be the deciding factor on the k-member and a-arms will probably go with UPR. Someone told me its $650ish for the 700 or 750hp version of the t-45 with the core, if so thats pretty awesome, im still waiting to hear back from them. Pricing a rear right now obviously, im trying to do all of that before getting into the boost stuff. Then comes paint, then wheels (i have 01 polished aluminum cobras right now) then im done untill i decide i wanna build 03 cobra heads with cams oversized valves and a 5 way angle job.
I believe its $1590 there bud for the upgrade to the tranny...normal tranny rebuilds cost around that much from what ive seen.

But I would definitely do the k-member while youre putting the motor in the car the first time, because its going to be a biotch to do it over again.

In regards to being able to get 3.55's instead of 3.73's, i dont see why not as they are both the same price on their website and they carry both of them.

All in all, do the k-member/a-arm swap when the motor goes back in the first time so you dont have to deal with that PITA twice and forgo the tranny rebuild and wait to find a cobra owner selling their t56 and swap that in. And with a 4v, i'd go 3.73's with boost, but thats just me. Best of luck to you man and keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
I believe its $1590 there bud for the upgrade to the tranny...normal tranny rebuilds cost around that much from what ive seen.

But I would definitely do the k-member while youre putting the motor in the car the first time, because its going to be a biotch to do it over again.

In regards to being able to get 3.55's instead of 3.73's, i dont see why not as they are both the same price on their website and they carry both of them.

All in all, do the k-member/a-arm swap when the motor goes back in the first time so you dont have to deal with that PITA twice and forgo the tranny rebuild and wait to find a cobra owner selling their t56 and swap that in. And with a 4v, i'd go 3.73's with boost, but thats just me. Best of luck to you man and keep us posted.
if they are that much im getting a used t-56, i coulda swore i saw rebuilt t-45s with a 700hp rating for like $1350.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROMO...Q5fAccessories

$16xx but thats not straight from promotion hes probably trying to cut a profit.

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 04-19-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Exactly what i was gonna post.

Quick Reply: Rear end pricing?