4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just got my first mustang need help with sound

Old 04-24-2010, 08:36 PM
esco1199

Default Just got my first mustang need help with sound

Hey guys just picked up my first mustang today its a 02 GT, my question is does anyone know how to get that rumble noise w/o spending to much. Can I get that sound with just mufflers or does it have to be the full exhaust, also pls list the muffler system. Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

That depends on what you consider a good "rumble noise".

The cheapest route would be to have some mufflers welded into your stock cat back. Personally, i'd start with a good cat back system, and go from there. I run SSS exhaust, and highly recommend it, but there are other great systems as well.

Go on Youtube and listen to the 100's of clips of Mustang's with various exhaust setups.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea dude what MRT said...there's TONS of combos out there to choose from. Just surf the web to find the sound you like.

Im lookin to change to a catted h and either a SSS/magnapack/or SLP im not sure yet haha...im even having trouble with the decision myself.

EDIT: MRT when did you get cams you bastard lol??
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

^^MRT says it all!!!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 PM
sonicx
speed'n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCg2...eature=related

MAGNAPACKS! You will not be disappointed bro.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

YEA MRT!!! WHAT THE HELL!!! No thread or anything?! Thats just fail...BAN FOR NO THREAD ON CAMS!!! Those numbers look ***** man!!! and yea, mufflers will do the sound, but for just a little bit more you can get a full catback which uses bigger piping for a slight bump in power, but only like 1-2hp max. But then you got the whole decision on a midpipe because thats the biggest factor in how loud your car is and what kind of sound your car makes. I can go into more depth about that if you would like me to as well.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Easy fellows!!! You just need to look a little harder lol.

I just made a thread today.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ml#post6963245
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by teej281
YEA MRT!!! WHAT THE HELL!!! No thread or anything?! Thats just fail...BAN FOR NO THREAD ON CAMS!!! Those numbers look ***** man!!! and yea, mufflers will do the sound, but for just a little bit more you can get a full catback which uses bigger piping for a slight bump in power, but only like 1-2hp max. But then you got the whole decision on a midpipe because thats the biggest factor in how loud your car is and what kind of sound your car makes. I can go into more depth about that if you would like me to as well.
Do it brah.... spit your knowledge
xpipe: higher raspy tone
hpipe:deep rumble tone

+1 whatevera you do it'd be in your best interests to do w/ a complete exhaust and skip the welds-ins.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Since your on a budget you can just get some mufflers to weld in for pretty cheap also look for a used mid-pipe for cheap off CL or ebay...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Like said above, x pipes usually tend to put out a more raspy, race car like tone. H pipes are generally deeper, more beefy muscular tone. Different midpipes have general thoughts as to what they go best with...like h pipes and chambered mufflers are always a classic combo and x pipes go better with straight through mufflers like borlas, bassanis, magnaflow, sss, slp, etc.

Now to go into the muffler designs...straight through mufflers are exactly what the name suggests, go straight through the muffler with the only restrictions being the perforations on the inside of the muffler to allow the sound to be deadened. Chambered mufflers use metal bound chambers within the muffler to deaden the sound and provide some restriction, but none to be noticed by any gains/losses in power. Also, typically chambered mufflers, depending on the number of chambers, are quieter than straight through mufflers, depending on how much packing the straight through mufflers have in them. Now chambered mufflers have the tendency to drone, which means you get a lot more interior noise than usual. Straight through mufflers are usually better at not droning than chambered mufflers, but i have no problems with my flowmasters and i travel at 2000rpm's daily without complaint(2k rpm's is right around where the drone is the worst for our cars.)

Now whether you go catted midpipe or off-road(o/r) midpipe is another big question to answer. Do you live in a state with emissions testing? If so, to forego the hastle i'd suggest a catted midpipe to not have to deal with switching of the midpipes for inspection/emissions every year/every other year/whatever timeline you put up with. Since you are looking for a "rumble noise" you are probably looking for the more traditional mustang sound of flowmasters. Now i will suggest that with flowmaster that you go with an h pipe since you want the bassy rumble more than the race car tone, from what i gather. Flowmasters are a popular choice, and while most say that they are played out, its always something that people are gonna recognize and enjoy. Some people dont like the all out ballz out sound of SLP Loudmouth 1's without cats. But im pretty sure that everyone doesnt hate flowmasters. Played out, maybe. Sound good, yes.

So based off of my analysis, look into flowmasters or MAC(another chambered muffler) paired with an h pipe. That combo will give a nice bassy rumble and will sound good. Also, since flowmasters and MACs are chambered, for a nice amount of sound an o/r pipe would be suggested as nobody, besides MRT and JBA offer catted h pipes for our cars(for a very hefty price might i add). So an o/r h pipe will be advised for this specificy combo.

Hope this helps you in your quest for noise.

Teej

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got my first mustang need help with sound