4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is this a reasonable estimate for paint?!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Unless I am missing something, the scoop looks fine, it isn't a screw that holds them on, but retainers that slide into those slots, the three slots look to be in good order from what I can see. Also, with what jay-rod posted, in all caps i might add, don't forget that the paint is 2 stage base coat, clear coat, so if you use a spray can you only have one coat and run the risk of getting something that looks awful because of lack of skill, or from a poor quality paint. I have used the spray stuff on some model cars, and I don't always like it. With our paint we mix everything in house, as do a lot of shops in our area. With car repair, a lot of times, it is true, that you get what you pay for.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Unless I am missing something, the scoop looks fine, it isn't a screw that holds them on, but retainers that slide into those slots, the three slots look to be in good order from what I can see
There are supposed to be 6 slots on the side scoop, 2 of them have been ripped off though...I highlighted where they used to be

are they still usable? my other side scoop has all 6 holes but the smaller 3 slots are almost ripped off and just kinda hanging.

This is what it's supposed to look like, but the slots are pretty much broken though.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Wow you should look into things before torching them! My recomendation is a two stage basecoat, clearcoat. It is solvent based automotive paint, OP needs to buy primer, basecoat, and clearcoat. I have not painted anything finish grade before and I can get it right on small areas like a scoop. I am not saying paint your whole care with it as that should definately be done by a pro, but you can easily paint misc parts individually yourself, and have plenty of paint leftover to paint something else later.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
Wow you should look into things before torching them! My recomendation is a two stage basecoat, clearcoat. It is solvent based automotive paint, OP needs to buy primer, basecoat, and clearcoat. I have not painted anything finish grade before and I can get it right on small areas like a scoop. I am not saying paint your whole care with it as that should definately be done by a pro, but you can easily paint misc parts individually yourself, and have plenty of paint leftover to paint something else later.
If you are talking to me, I didn't "torch" the product. I have used the auto spray paint before, if it isn't something you have used before, you may have to worry about paint runs and such. Some folks srsly have no skill. And also, most people would just go out and buy only the paint itself, not thinking twice about clear or any kind of prep. I deal with stupid ppl all day long and I could tell you stories until I was blue in the face. IMHO, what is easier for him, is to just spend the $160 and get them painted professionally, that way, if he doesn't like how it turns out, he has some outs, where if he goes all Harry Homeowner on it, the only person to blame is himself.

And OP, sorry, I didn't see that other section missing, you may have to use double sided tape then.