4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

After the S/C whats next.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member

Where can you get a built short block from? Is their a specific site?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2kStangGT08
Where can you get a built short block from? Is their a specific site?
Several places have them. http://www.modularmustangracing.com/ is one particular place.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

MMR is who I would go with. But www.livernoismotorsports.com also sells built shortblocks.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

livernoismotors are good motors but very pricey. Go with MMR and don't look back.

OP - I went with an MMR800 block, upgraded cams, springs and retainers with stock heads and presently 470 rwhp to the tire. Anything beyond 500 rwhp you will need to invest in serious dough for new fuel lines and dual cobra tank and pumps.

Certainly if you have the funds go w/ heads and less boost to obtain your power goals, but go with a built block before heads since you can obtain serious power with stock heads - least i did.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
livernoismotors are good motors but very pricey. Go with MMR and don't look back.

OP - I went with an MMR800 block, upgraded cams, springs and retainers with stock heads and presently 470 rwhp to the tire. Anything beyond 500 rwhp you will need to invest in serious dough for new fuel lines and dual cobra tank and pumps.

Certainly if you have the funds go w/ heads and less boost to obtain your power goals, but go with a built block before heads since you can obtain serious power with stock heads - least i did.
Hey thanks for the input/info guys. Just need to know what I would need to do to beef up my bottom end and also who would you guys reccommend that I buy the parts from? After the S/C that's most defiently my next investment.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

MMR block
Old 05-02-2010, 02:39 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

if you go SC, your gonna hafta get rid of the 4.10s. 3.73 would be better, if not 3.55
Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

LOL, this guys doesn't need a built bottom end yet!!!!! If you have the money, then go for it. Modular Powerhouse, Modular Mustang Racing, Sean Hyland Motorsports, Livernois, Coast High Performance are just a few companies out there that sell built engines for these cars. I am partial to MPH.

A vortech running low boost will be just fine with his cams and the stock bottom end. And as long as he didn't increase boost, adding ported heads would actually be easier on the engine.

All that aside, I think heads would be a waste of money at this point. After the s/c running LOW BOOST, I would invest in a decent suspension and a set of good drag radials such as mickey thompson. An entry level blower kit, cams, bolt-ons, with a decent suspension and tires should get you in the 11s if not damn close.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
LOL, this guys doesn't need a built bottom end yet!!!!! If you have the money, then go for it. Modular Powerhouse, Modular Mustang Racing, Sean Hyland Motorsports, Livernois, Coast High Performance are just a few companies out there that sell built engines for these cars. I am partial to MPH.

A vortech running low boost will be just fine with his cams and the stock bottom end. And as long as he didn't increase boost, adding ported heads would actually be easier on the engine.

All that aside, I think heads would be a waste of money at this point. After the s/c running LOW BOOST, I would invest in a decent suspension and a set of good drag radials such as mickey thompson. An entry level blower kit, cams, bolt-ons, with a decent suspension and tires should get you in the 11s if not damn close.

Stock 2V Bottom End blows like Mt. Vesuvius @ 9PSI 367RWHP/427TQ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mHKvLsI4w

Hmmmmm....

YOUR SAFE BRO JUST STOMP IT.

OP If you go the above route please don't forget the sweeper mod on the back of your car.

EDIT: I've watched this vid quite a few times but does anybody notice now nonchalant the dude is thats standing up next to the car? Hes totally cool about the whole deal hes just chillin up there on his cell phone and the things blows the **** up and theres tons of smoke and connecting rod fragments flying around and it takes him like 5 seconds to react and he kinda just looks up and goes "oh" and goes back to his phone.

Last edited by Hangwire; 05-02-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The results of that guy and his kenne bell on the canned tune are not typical of an entry level blower kit on a stock bottom end 2v. Especially not the case when running a centri kit. There was probably something wrong with that motor to begin with. It's hard to really take what he said with any weight also since his story seemed to change a bit depending on who he was talking to and what forum he was on.

Edit: not to mention he won't be anywhere near that
much torque with an entry level vortech kit on low boost

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 05-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: After the S/C whats next.....